View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three

Rate this Entry
by , September 25th, 2016 at 08:35 PM (88 Views)
Thank you Mark Johnston for the Postal Swimtathlon (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2303&smid=7259) as, without you and this creative event, I would not have had the motivation to do anything this weekend. Instead, your funky e-event got me up on the blocks at a meet for the 200 free and up on the blocks at home for a 400 IM and 200 breast. More importantly, my results, I hope, will be the 52nd kick-in-the-a$$ to get my butt back into serious training.

Saturday - Jamina Winston Memorial Invite at Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa)
It was my wife's birthday and, apparently, thanks to some major hanky-panky around Christmastime every year, practically everyone else's birthday on Facebook. Seriously there were a lot of my friends with birthdays this day; I wonder if any anthropology PhD has ever been built on the correlation between births and significant religious holidays?

I only had a short window of time while my wife and daughter were at a 'parent & me' cooking class to bomb down to Mesa, warmup, put in a few unsuccessful bids at the silent auction, and swim a horribly slow 2:09.88 200 SCM free, my slowest ever recorded Masters result.

Sunday - Patrick Brundage Unmemorable Uninvitational at the BADASS pool
I did my standard 1,500 SCM warmup and then got my wife to time me in a 400 IM (5:23.81) and a 200 breast (3:00.04). The IM was seriously pathetic for me, even for a workout swim, but the breaststroke was quite surprising. It felt like about a 3:30 and so I was happy with that.

I have a rare week at home this week and I am going to love every minute of it. This last quarter has been hell on me - with my work travel days away from home up 20% over my historical average, and my work nights not sleeping in my own bed up 60% versus each of Q1 and Q2 (more, multi-night trips). I think this week will be a serious re-charge of my red-lined personal battery, but I've got to make some more significant changes as this work pace is not sustainable.

Submit "Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three" to Digg Submit "Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three" to del.icio.us Submit "Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three" to StumbleUpon Submit "Limped through Swimtathlon Stage Three" to Google

Comments

Those are good times in a shallow pool. I will assume that you didn't build a 8 feet deep 2 lane pool.
    Thanks for the SHOUT OUT, Patrick!

I was hoping that you'd drop the ball on Stage Three, so I could claim victory. Alas, that was not the case.

It's funny how people of such varying ability have used the Postal Swimtathlon League as motivation to swim "outside the box". The two 22-year-old twins in SC, the 88-year-old gentleman in CA, and the 94-year-old gal in MT. I'm happy to say that I also got my wife to complete Stage Three, and she was VERY happy about her accomplishment. It's fun to read the feedback.

Keep up the great work, and again, thanks for the PROPS!

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Those are good times in a shallow pool. I will assume that you didn't build a 8 feet deep 2 lane pool.
    No. The pool is 5.5 feet for about half the length and then slopes up to 4 feet. I actually wanted to go for 6' depth the whole way, but was overruled by the finances (our ground under our house goes to rock, I gather after about 5.5 feet and the pool contractor was going to charge much more to go deeper) and my wife (who is 5'4")!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimDogs
    Thanks for the SHOUT OUT, Patrick!

I was hoping that you'd drop the ball on Stage Three, so I could claim victory. Alas, that was not the case.

It's funny how people of such varying ability have used the Postal Swimtathlon League as motivation to swim "outside the box". The two 22-year-old twins in SC, the 88-year-old gentleman in CA, and the 94-year-old gal in MT. I'm happy to say that I also got my wife to complete Stage Three, and she was VERY happy about her accomplishment. It's fun to read the feedback.

Keep up the great work, and again, thanks for the PROPS!

Mark
    Thanks for the event, Mark. It has been a good motivator. I am thinking for the 4th quarter I am going to challenge myself to repeat ALL events from Stages 1, 2 and 3!