View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

40s in the Poconos

Rate this Entry
by , October 13th, 2016 at 11:00 PM (69 Views)
We had our company's annual strategic planning meetings this week on Tuesday through Thursday. Last year, we did this about 45 minutes west of our office in Berkeley Heights, NJ, but that was close enough that many people who lived in the area didn't stay at the hotel. Our CEO wanted us all together and so he booked us into what turned out to be a nice resort up in Pennsylvania (Woodloch Pines), which is a solid two hour drive from Newark, so we were locked away and focused on the business as desired.

Fortunately, in spite of a relative dearth of pools in this part of the world, I managed to keep my fitness up fairly well:
  • On Monday, I flew in Newark and headed out to Stroudsburg, strategically chosen as it offered the twin benefits of places to swim and cheap hotels for the night (since our meetings didn't start until Tuesday mid-morning). I was about 15 minutes late to the Masters workout held at East Stroudsburg University, but still got in a solid 2,500 yard workout in a solid and brightly colored & lit 6 lane, 25 yard pool. The group was small - maybe 12 people - but coached and exceedingly friendly. In my experience, even though I generally don't know people at most places I drop into at random and they don't know me, visiting a Masters workout is often like a Cheers experience - while everyone doesn't always know my name, key lyrics resonate with the experience:
    • Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot ... and they're always glad you came. You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same.

• On Tuesday morning I discovered the Pocono Family YMCA had a 3 lane, 20 yard pool; was practically next door to the only Starbucks within miles and allowed non-YMCA members in for a $10 drop-in fee. I wanted to get in a run, so I did my requisite 2 miles on the treadmill and then got in my standard 1,500 yard warmup in the pool.
  • By Wednesday morning, I was up at the resort and they had another 20 yard pool, though this was one of the weirder ones I've swum in. On the positive side, it was a Myrtha pool, but it was primarily a leisure pool and had steps going into the pool at the shallow end, which made about 80% of the width of the pool impossible for swimming laps. However, they had two lane lines on the bottom, one on each side of the steps so you could swim straight, but no lane ropes. When I got there, there were 4 people trying to swim laps and one guy floating / water-shuffling (while floating on a life preserver-looking thing) precisely over one of the two lanes. I was probably a bit obnoxious in how close I swam to him, but I was quite irritated that he was barely moving mostly in place, but taking up one of the two actual swimming spaces. There was no pace clock, so I did my workout by perceived effort, but I still managed to get in a pretty decent effort on my ~3K Broken Mile workout. As fate would have it, by the last round of the main set, everyone vacated the pool (including the water-shuffler) and I could swim straight.
  • This morning, Thursday, having swum 8 days in a row and not looking forward to a sub-par swim experience, I just hit the gym and did another 2 mile run.

I need to get the last pool updated, but a couple of decent (I think) photos are posted to http://www.1001pools.com/pool-pics. Feel free to view and, if you've got time and thoughts, add comments to my blog posts there - http://www.1001pools.com/freestyle. In addition to just using that site as an aggregation and documentation of my progress to my goal, I'm trying to educate myself on website analytics ... so, the more visitors and comments I get, the more analytics I can peruse and learn from

Submit "40s in the Poconos" to Digg Submit "40s in the Poconos" to del.icio.us Submit "40s in the Poconos" to StumbleUpon Submit "40s in the Poconos" to Google

Tags: pool list
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments