View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Year in Review / Preview

Rate this Entry
by , January 4th, 2017 at 08:03 PM (203 Views)
Unfortunately, there was a little prophecy from my Year in Review / 2016 Preview (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?37755) as the post ended with a paragraph that included, "...Unless I have blown my shoulders out..." I should be more careful of what I write!

2016 Year in Review

High-level metrics for 2016:

• I had an absolute banner year for adding pools - with 49 new pools bringing my total up to 268. Check out the post here - http://www.1001pools.com/single-post...ear-in-Preview.
  • In aggregate, I worked out in 64 different pools over the year. The top 10 pools I trained in were:

1. My pool - 123 swims
  2. Cactus - 22 swims
  3. Valley of the Sun JCC - 19 swims
  4. Burlingame Aquatic Center (CA) - 9 swims
  5. Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center (CA) - 8 swims
  6. Stanford - 5 swims
  7. Westmoor Giammona (CA) - 5 swims
  8. Greensboro Aquatic Center - 4 swims (e.g., 4 days of Nats)
  9. McDowell Mountain Ranch (AZ) - 4 swims
  10. Ventura Aquatic Center (CA) - 3 swims

• Swam 267 days of the year, which is pretty much my average for the last 5 years, but I would have been much higher had I not almost stopped swimming for most of December once I got my MRI results.
  • Total yardage swim was 780K SCY-equivalents which is right where I wanted to be (e.g., averaging 15K per week) and my 4th longest year:

1. 2011 - 968K SCY equivalents
    2. 2012 - 901K SCY equivalents
    3. 2010 - 789K SCY equivalents
    4. 2016 - 780K SCY equivalents
    5. 2009 - 762K SCY equivalents
    6. 2014 - 753K SCY equivalents
    7. 2015 - 712K SCY equivalents
    8. 2013 - 641K SCY equivalents
    9. 2008 - 555K SCY equivalents
    10. 2007 - 456K SCY equivalents
    11. 2001 - 426K SCY equivalents
    12. 2002 - 313K SCY equivalents
    13. 2003 - 274K SCY equivalents
    14. 2004 - 251K SCY equivalents

Note that I swam so little in 2005 and 2006 that I didn't even track it; those were the super-high-growth years of my last company and years where I was shuttling back & forth between US, Europe, India and Japan a lot.

• On the business travel front, it wasn't such a hot year as I recorded my max days of any business travel (112 vs. 105 last year) in the last decade since I've been tracking that. That is definitely going in the wrong direction as I was 89 days in 2012, then 100, 101, and 105 over 2013-2015.
  • On the upside, I guess I managed to do more day trips and/or flew more early morning flights as I only slept away from home on business trips 66 nights, which is down from 72 nights last year. Whoo-hoo! Almost a week more in my own bed

On the competition front, I managed to race well in the SCY season and still managed to record some Masters best times:

• 1000 free
  • 1650 free
  • 50 back

I suspect that I am going to have to soon give up the hope of still being able to improve my times as I continue to age, as this list keeps getting shorter.

2017 Preview (aka Rehab for Indy)

As referenced in my last post, I am finally in the process of fixing my long ailing left shoulder. While the MRI results looked ominous, my appointment with my orthopedist was, all things considered, better than I expected. The high-level / best news is that he doesn't seem too concerned about the partial tear. He did caveat that, as he has no baseline MRI other than this, he cannot tell if it this is a recent 'trauma-based' tear, if it's due to long-term overuse or, even if it's just natural decay that many of us get as we age. He believes that the two major contributors to my pain are bicep tendinosis and rotator cuff tendinitis. For now, he's prescribed PT, some slightly stronger NSAIDs and he strongly cautioned me to plan for ...

• 6~8 weeks of no swimming and no other sports with rotation (I can kick)
  • Not to start back swimming until I feel pain free and the PT feels like he thinks I'm ready to do so
  • ... and when I start back, to do so very gradually

As this definitely shoots my SCY season to hell and as I never really train for LCM, I've set my mind on 2017 as my Year of Rehab with a longer-term racing plan to be back in top form by Indianapolis Nationals in 2018. I might get there sooner, but I also want to take the time to fix this now (in service of my ultra-long-term goal of finally setting a National Record when I hit the 90-94 age group!).

For the time being, I'm going to focus on the PT and mix together yoga (which he OK'd), treadmill running, dog-walking and hiking for some semblance of aerobic activity. When I get the opportunity to go to a new pool (www.1001pools.com), I'll do a 1500 kick, but I find pure kicking workouts so boring that I doubt I'll be in the water much unless it is to 'bag' a new pool.

Submit "Year in Review / Preview" to Digg Submit "Year in Review / Preview" to del.icio.us Submit "Year in Review / Preview" to StumbleUpon Submit "Year in Review / Preview" to Google

Updated January 4th, 2017 at 08:41 PM by pwb

Categories
Planning

Comments

Patrick, you might think about spinning at a gym, either on your own or in a class. I've liked the classes cause there's more enthusiasm with a group and an instructor. There 's no shoulder rotation involved and its a great workout for cardio and legs. It just requires shorts, water bottle, towel, and if you don't want to use the basket peddles w/sneakers, an inexpensive pair of clip-in shoes.

Enjoyed the 2016 year summary. Hopefully you will be breaking some of my 90-94 AG records.
    I sure hope your rehab goes well and that's all you need. So much better than surgery.

You have such a great attitude on what the goals are for the year and beyond, good for you. It's so hard, as athletes, to back off and not plow through further injuring the problem area.

On a side note, years ago, my gym had a treadmill class very much like a spin class. It was a mix of hills and interval work that turned into a killer workout. It was a lot of fun. Knowing swimming interval training, maybe you can play with speed/distance/hill work to make it something more than drudgework.

Good luck!
    Hope the rehab goes well Patrick! Consider PRP for that partial tear to speed things along. I've had a couple partial tears in the labrum as well. They do heal if you rest and baby them. I am eyeing Indy 2018 as well (assuming I get the go ahead to swim eventually). Working hard + rehab just seems to part of masters sports ... Happy New Year!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Patrick, you might think about spinning at a gym, either on your own or in a class. I've liked the classes cause there's more enthusiasm with a group and an instructor. There 's no shoulder rotation involved and its a great workout for cardio and legs. It just requires shorts, water bottle, towel, and if you don't want to use the basket peddles w/sneakers, an inexpensive pair of clip-in shoes.

Enjoyed the 2016 year summary. Hopefully you will be breaking some of my 90-94 AG records.
    Spinning - that is a great reminder. I have done some spinning classes before and I did enjoy them. I don't know why I didn't think of that! In fact, I have just looked up and will do one on Saturday!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I sure hope your rehab goes well and that's all you need. So much better than surgery.

You have such a great attitude on what the goals are for the year and beyond, good for you. It's so hard, as athletes, to back off and not plow through further injuring the problem area.
    Thanks for this. I think I've been plowing through this for a few years now, so, yes, it is hard to back off ... but I am committed to backing off!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hope the rehab goes well Patrick! Consider PRP for that partial tear to speed things along.
    The doc suggested that, if the rehab + gently getting back into it doesn't produce pain-free swimming, my next step would be cortisone shot. I gather PRP is then a step beyond *way beyond?* cortisone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I am eyeing Indy 2018 as well (assuming I get the go ahead to swim eventually).
    You've got a much more serious injury than me, but, really, it was reading about you and Stewart each battling through pain, but then committing to therapy plus a period of rest that convinced me that I should finally take my shoulder seriously. I hope to see you in Indy!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The doc suggested that, if the rehab + gently getting back into it doesn't produce pain-free swimming, my next step would be cortisone shot. I gather PRP is then a step beyond *way beyond?* cortisone?

You've got a much more serious injury than me, but, really, it was reading about you and Stewart each battling through pain, but then committing to therapy plus a period of rest that convinced me that I should finally take my shoulder seriously. I hope to see you in Indy!
    I don't think I even need to go to PT. :-) I have full mobility of the arm; it's the veins that remain the concern.

You don't want a cortisone shot for a partial tear or tendonosis. It won't help except maybe in the short term, and can degrade tendons further. PRP is completely different. You're injecting growth platelets spun from your own blood to promote healing. You could go right to stem cells for the bicep tendonosis.
    if you like spinning, another option would be zwift. it is virtual online cycling program. you just hook up your bike to trainer, connect sensors (speed and cadence) and meet up with other cyclists online for virtual races or just group rides. It is very motivating and addictive.

BTW, I swam for many years and with different coaches and your swim program is one that I enjoyed the most (I was following it for only last few months). I modified it a bit to fit my preparation for triathlon and 100 FLY race in upcoming nationals (yes weird combination ) but the general workout setup is perfect. It is very motivating especially considering that I do all my workouts by myself. I really hope you will resume your position as online Stroke/IM coach next year.
    Here is a great new pool for you to add to your list this year:
    https://swimswam.com/ubc-begins-trai...quatic-centre/
    I suppose your daughter has already broken it in for you.