View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Ignoring doctor's orders for a special pool

Rate this Entry
by , January 22nd, 2017 at 10:59 AM (95 Views)
I violated doctor's orders yesterday. I couldn't stop myself. I admit that I was in a bit more pain after doing so, but it was SOOOO worth it!

Canada's newest elite competition pool officially opens tomorrow, the new UBC Aquatic Centre (http://www.newpool.ubc.ca/) in Vancouver ...

... and the university team got in earlier last week, but they had some special "sneak peak test swims" this weekend. Thanks to my oldest daughter, I got onto the invitation list for yesterday morning's test swim.

This facility is just awesome and a much-needed upgrade over their almost 40 year old former pool ...

The centrepiece is the 8 lane, 50M x 25M pool which also has a bulkhead option to run 25M courses length-wise instead of width-wise. But, like the Saanich Commonwealth pool in Victoria, the UBC pool also features great community swimming amenties like a play pool that has a mini lazy river and water toy features for the kids, a massive ~30-40 person hot tub and another 8 lane, 25M training pool with 1M and 3M diving boards. The facility has an impressive array of windows, is gleaming white and incredibly bright (whereas the old pool was kind of dark and gloomy).

The only slight bummer for me was that we were only allowed to swim in the 25M pool, play pool and hot tub. Over this weekend, they were using these test swim times as training times for the staff. During my swim time, they were practicing working with the bulkhead in the competition pool, as that was a feature that didn't exist in their old facility. As both my orthopedist and physical therapist have told me not to swim for 6 to 8 weeks (and I've been a good patient for 3 weeks), that was probably for the best for my shoulder. I did my self-imposed minimum 1,000 (for inclusion on my www.1001pools.com blog) of mostly kicking and drills. I probably did about 200 of it actual swimming freestyle ... and later in the day could feel the old twinges in my shoulder that I'm trying to get rid of. Had I swum long course, I suspect it would have been worse for me.

And, finally, on the power of positive thinking side, not getting to swim in the competition pool just gives me another reason for a future trip to combine my three passions - family, pleasure travel** and swimming.

** I want to be quite emphatic that there is nothing about business travel that inspires passion in me!

Submit "Ignoring doctor's orders for a special pool" to Digg Submit "Ignoring doctor's orders for a special pool" to del.icio.us Submit "Ignoring doctor's orders for a special pool" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ignoring doctor's orders for a special pool" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

'saw that on Swimswam and was wondering when you would get there. 'looks like a sweet complex.
    Karl, It definitely is. I'm hoping that Masters Swimming Canada puts on a Nationals there in the near future.
    We can't get anything like their old pool in our area. Great Pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    We can't get anything like their old pool in our area. Great Pics.
    Hijacking pwb's blog,... is Phoenixville going to get that indoor LCM facility?