View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Two-pool morning

Rate this Entry
by , May 3rd, 2017 at 03:41 PM (246 Views)
I flew out to Newark late on Monday evening on a delayed flight and had a very rough time getting in my "run" day workout on Tuesday, but I pushed through it and did it on a little more than 5 hours of sleep. The upside of the short night of sleep Monday and then an all-day planning meeting followed by late team dinner meant that I was completely knackered by 10:30pm local time on Tuesday night, enabling me to get a robust 7 hours of sleep before walking 1.5 miles over to the Somerset Hills YMCA. This hotel's a bit out of the way from my company's office and usually a little pricier than I'd like to spend, but a good deal on Expedia and the fact the hotel offered a free day pass to the YMCA hooked me. I was particularly excited because this allowed me to get in two pools.

The only bummer about the morning was that I forgot to pack a pair of googles. This was particularly galling to me as my wife and I had done a deep spring cleaning recently and I had uncovered a handful of pairs of goggles left behind by my older two daughters when they left for university. I probably have 10 pairs now at home. The one thing, though, that I have found always reliable about YMCAs is that, thanks to all of their kids' aquatic programs, there's always a robust lost and found. One the lifeguards hooked me up with a hot pink pair of kids goggles that served my needs!

Warmup in the Englehard pool
This was described on the Y schedule as the warmer pool and it was certainly a tad warmer, but it was not too warm (nor was the Chandor pool as cool as I'd prefer). Both pools were 6 lanes x 25 yards, with this one being older (I think), but very functional:

I did the following here:
  • 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill
  • 2 rounds of:
    • 1 x 100: on 2:10, breaststroke kick w/snorkel and finis band around knees, focused on narrow kick
    • 2 x 50: on 0:55, breaststroke pull
    • 4 x 25: on 0:35, breaststroke swim (round 1 w/finis band)

TOTAL: 1,000 SCY

Continued in Chandor Pool

... where I continued from the last set:

• 1 round of:
    • 1 x 100: on 2:10, breaststroke kick w/snorkel and finis band around knees, focused on narrow kick
    • 2 x 50: on 0:55, breaststroke pull
    • 4 x 25: on 0:35, breaststroke swim (round 1 w/finis band)

• 5 x 50: on 0:50, free swim, gentle descend from about 0:35 to 0:31, 1st three w/snorkel
  • 4 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick on back descend
  • 4 x 50: on 0:50, back swim, gentle descend from about 0:37 to 0:35
  • 1 x 50: cool-down

TOTAL: 1,200 SCY

I suspect I'll come back here again; it was a great center and they appear to have generous open lap lanes.

Submit "Two-pool morning" to Digg Submit "Two-pool morning" to del.icio.us Submit "Two-pool morning" to StumbleUpon Submit "Two-pool morning" to Google

Tags: pool list
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

The NJ LMSC's "Last Chance SCY" meet will be in that pool on 5/21 in case for some reason you need to come back. its about 90 min. from me and I'm undecided at this point.
    I hope your shoulder gets better.

RE: one of your earlier posts...you only need 10 years of sobriety, not 30. Your first 20 years of not drinking counts toward your total!