View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sun Nov 23: Long run

Rate this Entry
by , November 23rd, 2008 at 02:03 PM (787 Views)
Sunday Nov 23, long run morning
did some stretching, 60 pushups, and held The Plank for 2 min before heading out
temp at start around 45F, at finish around 60F
wore my usual Nike Pegasus shoes, Reebok shorts, and sleeveless Nike top. yea it was a little chilly at first, but after 2-3 miles, I was fine. towards the end I felt like taking off my shirt, but didn't
Graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_11232008
Run details-- distance: 17.78 miles, time: 2 hrs 25 min 33 sec, avg pace: 8:10/mile, calories: 2206
I said last night that I would try not to go out too fast, but with it being cold I wanted to warm up, and couldn't really help it. Then the some good pace music started...Meatloaf's, "Paradise by the dashboard light," lasted from mile 2 to 3, and then some other stuff continued. I stopped for water around 4.5 miles, 10 miles, 13 miles, then around the 15.5 mark. I did stop very briefly to use the restroom around 12 miles.
Saw lots of people out today. For the last 1-2 miles there was a guy on the other side of the canal with a biker pacer who was going about the same speed, made a nice finish.
This was my 2nd furthest run yet (furthest was 18.15 about 3 weeks ago). Thought of doing a 20-miler, but don't want to overdo it. Maybe next week, if not I'll work up to one just after my vacation. Really felt good, held a pretty good avg pace over the whole thing.

Took about 20-30 min rest after I got back (when I wrote the above), then did about 25 min of intensive abs. Started with 70 elevated situps, then 600 crunches (300 with legs crossed each way), 150 with an 11 lb dumbell, another 200 regular (100 legs crossed each way), 300 obliques (150 to the right, 150 to the left), another 200 regular, 150 with a 5 lb dumbell, another 200 regular. My stomach was burning when I finished.

Watched some of the AZ Ironman coverage on a local news channel. The weather gal was deployed to Tempe Town Lake, the looks on some people as they got out of the water were priceless. They still had the bike and run to go!

Submit "Sun Nov 23:  Long run" to Digg Submit "Sun Nov 23:  Long run" to del.icio.us Submit "Sun Nov 23:  Long run" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sun Nov 23:  Long run" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This really brings back memories of my running days! Of course I plod along at my non-runner pace. Fall and winter running can be the BEST! That's an impressive time and distance. I'm tempted to add my running back in again. How to do that and swim with the kids. . . I don't quite know. But running outdoors in the cold can be the BEST feeling. How funny it will be to go from feeling like I'm in the best shape (pool) to feeling like a stuffed turkey (running!)
    Nice run! And I now feel like a complete core work slug. Wow.
    Do those pushups make your shoulders sore?
    Thanks again for the comments.

RE: the pushups, no they don't make my shoulders sore. I do use the, "Perfect Pushup," things, which I think takes some pressure off of both my wrists and shoulders. I think weights can make my shoulders more sore. Heck, a set of fly hurts more than pushups.

RE: the core work. This is something I had to build up to. Shortly after Ande joined the forum, I remember him saying something about getting his six pack back, and I figured if he could try so could I. Not quite there, but close. Core work also makes doing dolphin kicks much easier. Going off the blocks on Friday I did 8-9 dolphin kicks, then about 7 off the wall (for 50s).

RE: the run....again, I've built up to do this distance, I wouldn't recommend starting anywhere close to this distance or pace. Although I b*tch about hating cold weather, I seem to run faster and longer in it.