View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

2019: Year in Review

Rate this Entry
by , December 31st, 2019 at 03:57 PM (1452 Views)
Although I hadn't been blogging nearly as much, 2019 was probably my biggest swimming year ever!

Here is the list of pools that I've swum in:
1. Highlands @ Mayfiled Ranch Community Pool, Round Rock, TX
2. Sendero Springs Community Pool, Brushy Creek TX
3. Georgetown (TX) City Pool (indoor), Georgetown TX
4. 24 Hour Fitness Round Rock, Round Rock, TX
5. Creekside Pool, Brushy Creek TX
6. Deep Eddy Pool, Austin TX
7. Barton Springs Pool, Austin, TX
8. Walker Pool, Temple TX
9. Kino Aquatic Center, Mesa AZ
10. Eldorado Pool, Scottsdale AZ
11. CYC Pool, Wilkes-Barre PA
12. Austin Swim Club, Austin TX
13. Fuller Park Pool, Ann Arbor MI

(no international travel for me in 2019, but that will change in 2020)

I swam in the following events in 2019:
1. Attempt at Saguaro Lake, SCAR swim, AZ (made it about 9.5 miles)
2. Roosevelt Lake, SCAR swim, AZ (10k)
3. USMS Spring Nationals, Kino Aquatic Center, Mesa AZ
4. South Texas Summer LCM Meet, Austin Swim Club, Austin TX
5. Swim to the Moon (10k), Hell MI
6. Bridges to Bluffs (10k), Knoxville TN
7. Lake LBJ (3 miles) of Highland Lakes Challenge, Kingsland TX
8. Lake Marble Falls (2 miles) of Highland Lakes Challenge, Marble Falls TX
9. Lake Travis (5k) of Highland Lakes Challenge, Spicewood TX

All-in, I swam over 641 miles in 2019, which is 110 miles more than my previous record, back in 2014. I hit record months of swimming for 7 months of the year (and no record lows). Here is my GTD Summary:

Some highlights (other than the events):
* I did my longest swims ever this year! Longest pool swim, longest o/w swim, etc.
* This was the most swimming events that I've ever done in a year. Heck, 2 meets a year is nearly a record for me alone, but add in all the o/w events, and it certainly is a record.
* Along with all of the swimming, I got involved in both my USMS LMSC and became a member of a national USMS committee (the D&I committee). I attended my first USMS convention, which was an experience in itself.
* I met some incredible people throughout the year, all with a passion for the sport. Sure some are super athletes, while others are new. I'm always in awe at USMS nationals when the 80+ year-old heats swim.
* I swam at Barton Springs more in 2019 than all other years combined. Almost every Sunday over the summer I made an early morning trek down, sometimes swimming 3+ hours. It is an incredible venue to have close by (about 30 min away), and great for o/w training.
* I really enjoyed repeating the Highland Lakes swim. I hadn't done shorter o/w swim events in a few years, and after swimming longer stuff during the year, the short stuff at the end felt so fun. Plus it is nice to sleep at home and drive out in the morning. And Marble Falls is such a great place! (if anyone wants a good o/w swim, I can't recommend this one enough)
* For the first time in my life (that I can recall), I swam on Christmas Day! Barton Springs was open ('swim at own risk') and it was such a blissful way to spend the day.

Looking forward to 2020, here is what I'm looking at:
* I'll swim my earliest o/w event (probably any swimming event) in the year ever. I'll be in Australia in a few weeks and a friend signed me up for the Portsea 2500m swim (outside of Melbourne). This will also be my first international swimming event.
* I signed up for the S and R (Saguaro and Roosevelt) legs of SCAR again. We'll see if I'm successful with Saguaro if I want to do any longer swims. Otherwise, I don't mind just doing 10k events
* Tentatively looking at the Deer Lake, Utah (10k) o/w swim in August
* Considering either a repeat of Bridges to Bluffs (10k) or Swim the Suck (10 miles) in the fall of 2020. If I get in (sounds like it sells out in minutes), I'll do Suck, otherwise I really enjoyed B2B (so rare to have an o/w event where I can stay downtown and walk to the race start!)
* Probably do Highland Lakes again to finish up 2020. Maybe I'll do the whole thing? That would be a change, Buchanan (the first) is a 10k!
* As for meets, I'll probably swim in our Zone SCY meet in March (at University of Houston), and probably our local LCM meet again over the summer. Maybe a day or 2 at USMS spring nationals in San Antonio (this is the week before SCAR).

I met a separate goal this year. It was very silly, but without even trying, I was getting close to visiting all 50 states. With doing B2B this year, I was adding Tennessee, and I visited a cousin in Kentucky around that event. So we made trips to Montana, Iowa, and Nebraska, and I ended up turning 50 in my 50th state (and visited 2 gals I went to high school with too).
On that note, I'd like to try doing a swimming event of some sort (meet or o/w) in every state. I've only done this in a few so far, so I'm building up again.

Most important of all, my most recent mantra has been, "keep it fun." Years ago I thought I wanted to swim the English Channel some day. Well after 4+ hours in Saguaro in April, and the aftermath of that, I wasn't having much fun and don't think I want to think of the English Channel (solo, I'd definitely consider a relay). So I'm looking for swimming events that are mostly 10k or less (and an occasional 10 mile).
A lifeguard recently asked me, "are you training for something or do you just like to swim?" I didn't know how to answer the question. If I don't like to swim, why would I train for anything? But I do like having some things on my calendar, it gives me a reason to get myself out of bed, especially on dark/chilly mornings, or on days when I'd rather turn over and sleep in (sleeping in is good sometimes too!)

Submit "2019:  Year in Review" to Digg Submit "2019:  Year in Review" to del.icio.us Submit "2019:  Year in Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "2019:  Year in Review" to Google

Updated December 31st, 2019 at 04:33 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning

Comments

Fantastic year for you Tim. Thats some crazy milage, probably 3x distance I did.
    Updated December 31st, 2019 at 06:04 PM by __steve__
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Fantastic year for you Tim. Thats some crazy milage, probably 3x that of what I did.
    And there's nothing really wrong with either of us. That's one thing that I like about swimming, you can make it work for what you want out of it. Some people are sprinters, and there are meets/events for that. Others like to be on their own for 3+ hours in open water, and there are events for that too.
    Terrific accomplishments for 2019 with a bunch of firsts too. Looking forward to hearing how you are making out in 2020 and especially with the USMS committee. Keep on Trucking!