View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Building back up

Rate this Entry
by , February 11th, 2020 at 04:40 PM (1299 Views)
After not swimming as much in December and January, I'm ramping my swims back up for the year.
I registered for the first and last legs of the SCAR swim in late April. That's 10 miles, then a 10k. And I'll be paddling for another swimmer on the 3rd day (Apache, about 18 miles!)

I had a nice 4.25 mile swim at Barton Springs this past Sunday morning. My goal was to swim for about 2 hours or 16 laps. I did that and thought, "why not one more just for kicks?" So that added an extra 1/4 mile The swim took about 2:15.
Water temp is about the same all the time there; my guess is about 70F. Because it is winter, and weather that day wasn't the best (gray, steady drizzle, with a few downpours), I counted 10 swimmers (including myself) when I got in, and 6 when I got out. The lifeguards did not look happy.

I had a whirlwind trip to Australia in January, and as luck would have it I did some o/w swims there.
A friend from a Facebook swim group met me at the airport, I stayed at an Airbnb about a 10 min walk from his house (and 3 minutes from the pool). He carted me around, and even dropped me at the airport when I left Melbourne. Arrived late on a Thursday:

1. Friday AM: early LCM swim @ Brunswick Baths (3500m), with their masters team

2. Saturday: he had registered us both for the Portsea 2500m Gold Swim: http://www.portseasurf.com.au/portsea-swim-classic/. I liked it so much that I then self-registered and swam the 1500m shortly after. Due to currents, I recorded my best swims ever for those distances. 2500m (26:07) 1500m (16:32, started a little late and had to catch the group).
The 2500m was a mass start, about 400 swimmers, into some serious chop, and water temp about 68F. I hadn't done that in a while, and it kind of freaked me out at first. I took (and I'm sure gave) some punches, kicks, and had to stop to adjust my goggles once after a serious blow. But once we got going, I was able to break free of the mosh pit and chased people nearly the whole way to the finish, with some major current assist.
After I finished, I toyed with doing the 1500m, and as my friend said, "how often are you in Australia with a chance to do this?" That sold me, and I paid the same-day fee (a bit costly for a 1500m!), and got on a bus for the start. By the time I figured out where to go for the start, they were already starting, and I nearly ran into a buoy line. But once I got into it, I was chasing down a bunch of fast guys (this was men-only, 50 to 69 I think).
Here is the map for the 2500m swim; the 1500m was the same course but started after that first bay (where you see that notch):

3. The morning I was flying out of MEL (to BNE), my friend took me to Williamstown Beach for more o/w swimming. We swam out quite a bit, and were headed back (against the current), when he spotted a jellyfish. I was swimming along after that and thought I bumped my friend; I stopped only to see him too far off to have bumped him, and I was a bit freaked out at that point. I stuck near him and we headed into shore. Only got in about a mile, but it was still nice to see some local haunts. Here is the map of this swim:

4. First morning in Brisbane, I swam at Centenary Aquatic Center (LCM), and historic pool in town. https://centenarypool.com.au/
Got in 3200m

5. Before leaving Brisbane, I decided to try a different pool and ended up at Valley Pool (LCM) for 3300m: https://www.valleypoolbrisbane.com.au/

6. Flew to Adelaide, had an incredible lunch at Star of Greece, and couldn't resist the water; after walking along the beach for a bit (to recover from lunch), I changed and got in just a short o/w swim. Water was beautiful! Could see the sandy bottom from the surface even at 20 feet deep, and temp was about 75F. Since I had swum that morning, I just did a short swim:

And here is what that beach looked like:

After that trip, I had a short trip to London, and of course had to swim in the 2012 Olympic Pool:

It is a 10-lane pool. They had the right 4 lanes reserved for a team. The remaining 6 lanes were organized by speed, 2 easy, 2 med, 2 fast, with the left of each as counter-clockwise, the right as clockwise. I went in lane 4 (the leftmost is lane 0), the fast counter-clockwise lane, and swam 3300m.
It was probably the best indoor pool in the world that I've ever been in (the Brown Univ pool in Providence is pretty good though...) I was just wanting a shake-out workout, but I still felt fast in the water. The water temp was a little cool for a pool, I'm guessing about 75F.

Now to get serious about training! ScaR (just Saguaro and Roosevelt) in April, then I did get into Swim the Suck in October. Maybe a 10k over the summer to round things out.

Submit "Building back up" to Digg Submit "Building back up" to del.icio.us Submit "Building back up" to StumbleUpon Submit "Building back up" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Wow. Very cool trip and o/w swims - thanks for describing the swims and posting the pics.