View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wed 02262020

Rate this Entry
by , February 26th, 2020 at 03:54 PM (233 Views)
AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs Pool (SCY)

when I got there no one was in the pool. they had just done a water change (they were starting on Saturday when I swam). lifeguards told me that the water temp was about 76F. I think they were hoping that I'd leave and they could stay in their warm room, but I said, "that should be fine," and I got in the water. compared with Barton Springs (around 70F) it wasn't bad. I adjusted my workout a bit, not as much rest, to keep myself moving.

warm-up: 2000 (at the 400 point I was doing 75 free/25 stroke, and did 75 moderate/25 fast toward the end)

100 kick w/fins + board
4 x 125 w/fins, done as drill/swim/stroke/swim/drill
100 kick w/fins + board
900 swim w/fins (done 175 free/25 stroke, with 100 swim at the end)
25 swim w/fins
25 fly w/fins
150 swim w/fins
100 kick w/fins + board

850 free (overshot that one)

50 done breast/free
50 done free/breast
50 free
50 breast
50 easy

400 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 5600 yards, 91 minutes (my breaks were quite short!)

butterfly: 25 yards
backstroke: 350 yards
breaststroke: 450 yards
freestyle: 4475 yards
kick: 300 yards

kind of a boring workout. I almost just did a long straight swim, since I really didn't want to stop. but after a few hundred yards the water temp didn't feel so bad, especially considering that I swim in 70F regularly. I have a rule that I need to do at least 10% of my pool workouts of non-free, and some of every stroke. sometimes I'll do more fly, but at least 25.

I did about 5-1/2 miles (about 3 hours) at Barton Springs on Sunday, and it was wonderful! I've started to mix in a little stroke, usually after I push off of the dam (usually on even laps). otherwise my hands will sometimes start to fall asleep from the constant freestyle (well they still do anyway, and I kind of shake them for a bit during my stroke). I felt like I was the only person there for most of it.
unfortunately (well overall it is a good thing), Barton Springs is closing for annual maintenance starting on Saturday, for 2 weeks. I might do a rare weekday swim there on Friday. Deep Eddy (has basically the same water, but into a pool that is 33-1/3 yards long) will have extended hours, and I'm sure I'll go there to make up some training. I was hoping Lake Travis would be warm enough by the time of the annual maintenance, but I don't think so.

On Monday, since Sendero was closed, I ended up in the gym pool for just 4500 yards. it is 2 lanes/25 yards, but there was a rather large person in the other lane (created more turbulence than I get at Barton Springs), and someone shared the lane with me for a bit. I'd rate that as a tougher swim than today.

after treadmill/weights on Tuesday, I just did 1600 yards in the gym pool. had it to myself and it wasn't bad, other than going in somewhat fatigued.

overall, I feel much better going into SCAR this year than last. last year I only swam at Barton Springs once before SCAR, and this year I've swum there 5 times already.
I'm at 110 miles for the year, last year same time about 90.
In addition to getting to Barton Springs more, I want to get to a real lake (probably Lake Travis) a few times for something closer to real conditions.
last week I got in about 30,000 yards and hoping to peak at about 35-38k before I begin my taper (just have to stay healthy!)

Submit "Wed 02262020" to Digg Submit "Wed 02262020" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed 02262020" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed 02262020" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments