View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 05192020

Rate this Entry
by , May 19th, 2020 at 03:02 PM (458 Views)
Since the lockdown and closures were in place, I managed to swim in a local lake. Initially it was twice a week, then I increased that to 3, and maybe 4 a few times. The drive to the lake was about 30-40 minutes, there is a fee for park entry, and tolls for part of the drive there. So not free, but not crazy expensive either. But it really helped keep my sanity.
When I first started, the water temp was in the low 60s. One day a friend told me he recorded 64F.
We swam at Emma Long Park in Austin. There is a mostly enclosed swimming area, a beach entry between 2 docks and a rope with red buoys at the deep side. There is also a, "boat free zone," marked with buoys in the lake proper. When I first started I just swam in the enclosed area. But one day there were 5 of us, and really not enough room. One person was going out in the lake, and everyone went. There is a course in that zone, marked with buoys, that goes about 1/2 mile. After that I mostly just swam out in the lake proper, usually 3 to 3.5 miles.

My local pools re-opened this week! Some new rules, lap swimming only, 1 person per lane, and you can only stay for an hour.
Yesterday (Monday) was the first day. I asked a lifeguard before I got in if I had to get out in an hour or if that was only if someone was waiting. She said the latter, so I figured I'd do 90 min or so. After 70 minutes, another lifeguard poked me with a rescue tube and told me that the first lifeguard was incorrect and I needed to get out. They let me do 100 easy, and it gave me 4300 yards.

Tuesday AM solo swim @ Sendero (SCY)
1500 w/u (some stroke)

100 kick w/fins and board
4 x 125 w/fins, 25 drill/25 free/25 stroke/25 free/25 drill
100 kick w/fins and board
25 free w/fins
25 fly w/fins
100 easy

9 x 100 @ 1:35 (a few @ 1:30)

50 done 25 breast/25 free
50 done 25 free/25 breast
50 easy free
50 fast breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3700 yards (about 61 min)
water temp about 78F

Tuesday AM solo swim @ Creekside (SCM)
900 free (w/u and build)
800 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy
700 swim
600 pull w/Catalyst paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 3200m (about 50 minutes)
water temp about 80F

I didn't say a word to the lifeguards at Sendero, but when I checked in the one guard told me there was an hour limit.
When I checked in at Creekside, one of the guards asked, "didn't I see you at Sendero earlier?" I said yea, but this is a way to get in a longer swim

after mostly longer all-free open water swims, with no intervals, I thought I'd struggle with 100s @ 1:35. after a few I saw I was coming in at 1:20ish, so did a few on 1:30.

I wasn't sure I'd do a, 'double', but had a set of 800-700-600-500 planned. only I goofed and did more on my first round, so just kept it up.
I've done workouts between 50m and 25 yards (and v/v) when switching pools around, but I don't think I've ever done 25 yards to 25m so close together. and truthfully I can't remember the last time I swam in a 25m pool, probably this one last year. but it really didn't take much to adjust.

as I left Creekside, one of the guards asked me, "are you going back to Sendero?" I said, "that's a good idea. maybe I'll try that on a weekend "

I understand that they have the hour rule in place to discourage people from just floating around and to keep people from congregating together. and probably 95%+ of the people who use these pools don't even swim an hour. I talked to the aquatics office yesterday, just to verify, and they pretty much said, "that's the rule." The gal I spoke with actually said that I could go from one pool to the other and be fine, or go back later in the day (I'm not sure if I can go from S to C then back to S though).
I was the only swimmer in the pool when I left Sendero (so it was then empty, 8 lanes), and there were 2 others with me at Creekside (it is 6 lanes). they left before I did but one guy was getting in as I left there.

I won't do this every day, but figure maybe 1-2 times a week I'll get in a little extra. and SCM mixes things up a bit too.

Submit "Tuesday 05192020" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 05192020" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 05192020" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 05192020" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Long blog post is long. Glad your pools are open again.