View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wed Aug 19: AM Swim & PM Weights

Rate this Entry
by , August 20th, 2009 at 01:00 AM (409 Views)
finally made it to workout, both swim (kind of) this morning and to the gym after work. having a sprained ankle really sucks.

6am swim workout with the team, ASU Rec Center (SCY)

--air temp was about 85F, water around 80F, with the aerators on
--fairly large group. I started off in the lane 1 slower than usual, and eventually was 3 slower and went last as much as they'd let me

around 300 warm-up choice. dove in and tried to swim normal. immediately realized my right leg wasn't going to work. finished my 50 with 1-leg and arms, then grabbed my pull buoy.

6 x 75 @ 1:20, supposed to be kick-drill-swim
(I did pull drill-pull-pull)
50 easy free (I pulled it)
14 x 100 @ 2:00 best average, supposed to be 1st 7 IM, next 7 either free or stroke
(I did 1st 7 IM pull...no fly but pulled free-back-breast-free. man it is TOUGH to pull breast. then did 7 free's pull. Surprisingly, I held half decent times)
50 easy free (I took off the pull buoy, but my right leg pretty much just dragged)

there was some sort of underwater kick set, but I got out. getting out was a bit of a challenge, I kind of got my butt on deck, then slithered around, grabbing the block until I was standing.

overall, I guess not a bad set. I certainly got the sympathy vote from those who I usually swim with and faster...a gal walked out with me and offered to carry my bag. but with those who I swam with...they kept asking if I wanted to move up in the lane, etc. at one point I said, "I'll just go 10 back so I stay out of the way." After thinking about this, I would do the same thing for someone in 1-2 lanes faster than mine when they've been tapering, or for some reason wanted to go in a slower lane. Yet I still managed to scare one guy out of the lane. I really was itching to get back to SOMETHING, and this wasn't a half bad start to some exercise.

Gym workout on my way home
--I had already determined I wouldn't even attempt any leg weights
--I had considered some cardio, maybe a rower, but that will wait a bit

bench press: 1 x 12 x 45, 1 x 12 x 115, 1 x 12 x 135, 2 x 9 x 155, 1 x 7 x 165
dumbbell chest flys, flat bench, feet on bench: 1 x 12 x 47.5, 1 x 12 x 52.5, 2 x 12 x 60
dumbbell chest press, flat bench, feet on bench: 1 x 12 x 47.5, 1 x 12 x 52.5, 2 x 12 x 60
Hammer Strength iso-lateral row: 1 x 12 x 90, 1 x 12 x 180, 2 x 12 x 200
Hammer Strength shoulder press: 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 12 x 90, 2 x 12 x 110
Hammer Strength iso-lateral front lat pull down: 1 x 12 x 90, 1 x 12 x 140, 2 x 8 x 190
Precor lat raise: 1 x 12 x 65, 2 x 12 x 70
Hammer Strength abs crunch: 3 x 25 x 110, 1 x 10 x 120
Leg Raise: 3 x 12

The hardest part of lifting weights with a sprained ankle is loading and unloading the weights. I was so tempted to just use machines... But I did my 'usual.' I never realized how much I use my feet, heck even for bench press, to give balance to my body. I did get some sympathy from other lifters....I had a spotter for my last round of benching within seconds (sometimes I have to search someone out). When I was going to use the lat pull-down another guy was about to use it, but told me to go ahead. People moved out of my way when I had dumbbells, etc.

I'm a bit upset that I've gained a few pounds. Basically I hadn't exercised since Saturday, since I really shouldn't count my aborted run on Sunday when the incident occurred. I'm up about 3-5 pounds, depending which scale I believe. But I think it is partly due to my stomach being off also. Hopefully this will fix itself as I resume some workouts, and I've cut my eating around 10-20%.

Right now, I have no idea when I'll resume any running. I had thought I'd be ready for something tomorrow, but now I don't plan to try until Sunday at earliest. If I can, I will use a bike, elliptical, or rower. But nothing will prepare me for a marathon like running would. Oh well, I don't want to rush things too much and cause further damage.

Planning to swim with the team in the morning, then do some more weights tomorrow night. At least my upper body will get whipped into shape.

Submit "Wed Aug 19:  AM Swim & PM Weights" to Digg Submit "Wed Aug 19:  AM Swim & PM Weights" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed Aug 19:  AM Swim & PM Weights" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed Aug 19:  AM Swim & PM Weights" to Google

Comments

It is probably more muscle weight. Gosh, you must look like a beach whale with those extra pounds!!!. I would kill to be as skinny as you. But, I am hoping like to "look fast" by maybe the end of the year. Of course, it could be longer.
    I feel like a beached whale, not sure if I look like one yet. Still fitting into my normal clothing....other than shoes. Been wearing old running shoes to work. Looked odd with slacks Tues and yesterday, so I'm in jeans today.