View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Ankle update

Rate this Entry
by , August 27th, 2009 at 10:47 PM (1093 Views)
Finally got in to see my doctor yesterday. The visit as a whole was pretty worthless; he looked at it, but I don't think he even touched my foot at all. I stood firm on wanting physical therapy; he was more along the lines of get an x-ray, then MRI, then PT. But he relented and gave me the PT referral. I did get an x-ray, haven't heard back yet. I'll try to call tomorrow, as I should probably go forward with the MRI.

Went to PT today. I went to PT ages ago; while in the Army in Monterey, CA, a large group of us went on a skiing trip to Lake Tahoe (2 bus fulls I think). I fell and hurt my knee pretty bad. Went on sick call after, and they sent me to PT; was a bit of a PITA as I had to get over to Ft Ord for it, but I remember it was very successful.

Today's was a bit different. I met the therapist, we chatted about 30 min. I told her that I'm sure I did some things wrong, but I can't go back and change it. I just want to do the right things from here on out so I can move forward and get running again. The therapy started with a soak in an 85F degree whirlpool, flexing up/down. (after the whirlpool she said, "Oh, you have a foot!" and I replied, "yea, looked more like a cankle.") Then she did all the tests...how far I can flex up/down/left/right. Then she did measurements (my right ankle is about 1" bigger than the left). She concluded it was between a class 2 and 3 sprain (where 1 is minor and 5 is not able to walk).

Then the real fun began...started out more like a massage, but it went into the painful areas. I told her I trust her to do what needs to happen...otherwise I'd be hitting her. After that, we did some exercises (writing the alphabet, some pulling, using a roller, and a balancing board). I finished up with an awesome ice wrap. All together I was there over 2 hours.

When I left, I felt like I was somewhat normal again. But around 5 or so the soreness started to hit. I iced again around 5, and am icing again now. I'm scheduled to go back on Monday, and scheduled out 3x week for the next 3 weeks.

If things go well, I'll be able to lift weights on Monday No free weights, just machines, but that's good news. Sounds like a week after that before I can get back in the pool. She said we may try out some bikes late next week.

Of course at this point, my October marathon is nearly out of the question. Still an outside chance I can do it I guess. But now I'm hopeful I can do the Phoenix-PF Chang's race again in January.

Submit "Ankle update" to Digg Submit "Ankle update" to del.icio.us Submit "Ankle update" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ankle update" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a serious PT appointment you had! Hope you have good results with the series of appointments.

Fort Ord? That was literally in my backyard when I was in high school. Lots of mountain biking and motorcycling in those hills.
    Just got caught up on reading blogs and am so sorry to read about your ankle. Having been out with a stress fracture in my hip nine years ago, I know exactly how you feel.

Hang in there!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    That's a serious PT appointment you had! Hope you have good results with the series of appointments.

Fort Ord? That was literally in my backyard when I was in high school. Lots of mountain biking and motorcycling in those hills.
    Hey thanks, I went in expecting ~45 min, and really didn't realize how long it was taking. Very thorough.

Yea, I was at the Presidio of Monterey back in 1989-1990. We had a clinic on our small post, but for more serious stuff we had to schlep over to Ft Ord. It was a fantastic place to be stationed...in school most of the day, and a view of the bay from my window.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Just got caught up on reading blogs and am so sorry to read about your ankle. Having been out with a stress fracture in my hip nine years ago, I know exactly how you feel.

Hang in there!
    Thanks, I appreciate all of the support. Whenever I think this is bad, I realize that things could always be worse. I'll be happy when I can workout again. I don't smoke or drink, and my stress has been through the roof.
    Good PT appt! It sounds like what I did when I was in PT for a stress fracture and sprais in the ankle. Unfortunately, ankles just take awhile to fully recover. Hang in there. If the Scranton marathon is out, isn't there one in Tucson in Dec or Jan?
    Glad to hear you are getting some good PT but sorry to hear that you are probably going to miss the marathon.
    Tim, Are you able to swim / pull with the way your ankle is? The PT does sound quite thorough and I hope you get it back in gear for PF Chang's.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Tim, Are you able to swim / pull with the way your ankle is? The PT does sound quite thorough and I hope you get it back in gear for PF Chang's.
    You'd think I can still swim, but only pull. But I learned out last week that I just can't flex my foot enough to glide in the water. I still used it a little on turns too. At this point, I'm not doing any exercise unless the therapist gives me the ok.

Thanks Fort and Q. I'm still holding some hope for Scranton. I woke up at 4am to run before work, 5am on Sundays...I really don't want to throw that down the drain. Tucson has a full and half marathon in Dec (I'd like to do the half), then the Phoenix race is in Jan, and I'd like to do the full again. Long term, if my body permits, I may do Cleveland in May (my brother and family have wanted me to visit for a while).
    Thought you might find this interesting. I've had two consecutive years of injuries.

It's very important to rehab and do follow up exercises.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...0ankles&st=cse
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Thought you might find this interesting. I've had two consecutive years of injuries.

It's very important to rehab and do follow up exercises.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...0ankles&st=cse
    Wow, thanks for that. My balance is terrible; guess I'd better work on that to prevent future sprains. I did the Wii Fit once and it has a balance module....may have to try it a little more often. Part of my PT today was balancing on 1 foot for 30 sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, thanks for that. My balance is terrible; guess I'd better work on that to prevent future sprains. I did the Wii Fit once and it has a balance module....may have to try it a little more often. Part of my PT today was balancing on 1 foot for 30 sec.
    My balance was really weak too. Luckily it comes back, and it should help you avoid any future sprains.

We have a few doctors who swim at our pool. One of them brought this to my attention after the second sprain. He said that the reason why many elderly people fall down is because their ankles have lowered connectivity to their brain. And their footing is often misplaced.