View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4

Rate this Entry
by , September 4th, 2009 at 05:06 PM (2533 Views)
This afternoon, I dropped one kid off for a playdate and went to the gym and worked out until I had to pick up another from practice:

Core/Dryland: 50 min

Bicycles, 3 x 50
Long arm crunches, 3 x 50
Cable twists w/yoga ball, 40 x 3 x 15, each side
Forward lunges, 3 x 15 w/10 lb DBs
Total ab machine, 100 x 3 x 25
Back extensions w/10 lb DB, 3 x15
Chin ups, 3 x 7
Squat swing, 25 x 3 x 15
External rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm

Commentary:

I always thought bicycles were too easy, but not so much if you do a lot of them.

The squat swings with the plate are from http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html. (I need to review some of these exercises again.) This particular exercise seem to always tweak my left teres muscles when doing it, though it feels fine now.

I've re-started the chin up/pull up project. I'm thinking of sticking to chin ups this go round, as they don't seem to put as much stress on the knuckles of my right thumb and index finger, which can get cranky.

Here's an interesting article a friend sent me regarding core work:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehu...on-t-work.aspx

Ellipse: 20 min

20 minutes, moderate pace

10 minutes of stretching the legs and eating a balance bar.

Then hopped in the outdoor pool for a quick recovery/hypoxic workout. Beautiful day to swim outdoors.


Swim/SCM/Solo: 50 min

Warm up:

650 swim, kick, drill

40 x 25 w/fins

1-10: dolphin kick on belly @ :35
11-20: dolphin kick on side @ :40
21-30: dolphin kick on back @ :35
extra 30 seconds rest
31-40: easy speed fly w/8-9 SDKs @ :40

Note: Fly feels a bit off when my hamstrings are sore and tight.

100 EZ

Total: 1750 meters

Note: I think in the future I might track my swimming and kicking yardage to see what % of kicking I'm really doing. Of course, much of my "swimming" can be kicking too as I do extended SDKs often.

Speedo and I are planning to do a couple sprint oriented workouts together at noon next week. Looking forward to it!

Submit "1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4" to Digg Submit "1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "1:20-3:35, Friday, Sept. 4" to Google

Updated September 4th, 2009 at 05:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Ellipse Machine

Comments

  1. pwb's Avatar
    Good core article. A lot of the core classes I do are comprised of exercises that guy recommends, but we still do what I'd call the graduated crunch -- starting from top or bottom and working down or up with holds along the way. I still suck at those between about 65 and 15 degree angles ... maybe I should take this article to heart and simply skip those now! I'm thinking a good, savasana pose as a replacement 'exercise.'
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Good core article. A lot of the core classes I do are comprised of exercises that guy recommends, but we still do what I'd call the graduated crunch -- starting from top or bottom and working down or up with holds along the way. I still suck at those between about 65 and 15 degree angles ... maybe I should take this article to heart and simply skip those now! I'm thinking a good, savasana pose as a replacement 'exercise.'
    Yeah, I don't do any "sit ups" at all. I do a few crunches, but with a minimal range of motion. The only ones I do that might run afoul of the advice from this article are my incline crunches with a full range of motion. Doesn't seem like you need a large range of motion for them to be effective either. And, as Jazz would say, plenty of core work from doing deadlifts and such!
  3. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Cool, I was already doing pushups and planks before reading this article.

    Leslie, is your SCM pool only open in the summer? I can't remember if you did SCM workouts during the winter or not. You can use the go the distance spreadsheet to post a detail record of your workouts. I don't use that part that much because it can be way too tedious!
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Cool, I was already doing pushups and planks before reading this article.

    Leslie, is your SCM pool only open in the summer? I can't remember if you did SCM workouts during the winter or not. You can use the go the distance spreadsheet to post a detail record of your workouts. I don't use that part that much because it can be way too tedious!
    My SCM pool at the gym is open year round. But it's shallow, very warm, and covered by a bubble. So I don't like to swim there too much. I scrap the bottom quite a bit when swimming or kicking on my back. I may try to swim at Mason more this year in the 12-2 slot.

    I don't use GTD. It's too much cognitive dissonance for a sprinter.
    Updated September 4th, 2009 at 08:43 PM by The Fortress
  5. Bobinator's Avatar
    Yes, I definitely agree curl-ups cause a pot-belly! There aren't many "isolated" exercises beneficial to good human movement. All movement begins with contraction of the core muscles. If your child isn't throwing the softball very far it's not because they have weak arms, it's caused by throwing with your arm only. Most movement works that way.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Yes, I definitely agree curl-ups cause a pot-belly!
    Ugh, I read that too. Who needs further distention of the tummy?!