View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tues 02/16/2010: AM Swim and PM Run

Rate this Entry
by , February 17th, 2010 at 12:59 AM (819 Views)
Made it to swim this morning with the team, Mesa Kino Aquatic Center (SCY)
both Paul and Laura Smith on deck coaching

Per Paul's workout thread (makes it easy, as I forgot some pieces):
15 minute warm-up

8 x 50's @ 1:10 IM order (25 drill/25 swim) OR 10 free @ :50
10 minute easy kick
8 x 100's @ 2:00 (odds IM/evens stroke) OR 10 x 100's @ 1:40
easy 50
8 x 25's fast kick r:10
1 x 400IM r:30 + 4 x 50's IM order @ 1:00 OR 1 x 400 free pull + 4 x 100's @ 1:30

What I did--
around 400 warm-up
8 x 50 @ 1:10 IM order 25 drill/25 swim
10 min easy kick (got in around 500)
8 x 100 @ 2:00
--#1, 3, 5, 7 IM
--#2, 4, 8 breast
--#6 free (needed a break)
easy 50
8 x 25 fast kick @ :10 rest, IM order x 2
400 free pull @ 6:00
4 x 100 free pull @ 1:30
200 easy warm-down
then an easy 50 free pull, with just my fingers in the paddles (Paul's a big believer in this)

total: 3400 yards

Swim notes--
* Paul gave me 'the talk' today. I thought I'd have at least a few days.... Basically he said he realizes it has been a while since I've done a meet, but he thinks I should go for it, etc. (interesting that he did this, yet neither Johnny nor Simon ever did) He wants me to do the 500 and 1000. If I do the meet, I'll do more than just that though.... I'm open to ideas, within reason. here's what's on tap--
Saturday March 13, 2010
Warm-up 8am/Start 9am
NUMBER EVENT
1 1650 Freestyle
2 1000 Freestyle
30 Minute Warm-up/demonstration by Arizona Aqua Stars Synchro Team
3 100 Breaststroke
4 100 Butterfly
5 50 Backstroke
6 200 Individual Medley
7/8/9 200 Medley Relays (W/M/X)
10 500 Freestyle
11 100 Freestyle
12 200 Backstroke
13 50 Breaststroke
14 200 Butterfly
15 50 Freestyle
16 200 Breaststroke
17 400 Individual Medley
18 50 Butterfly
19 100 Individual Medley
20 200 Freestyle
21 100 Backstroke
22/23/24 200 Free Relay (W/M/X)

* Paul was extremely surprised when I selected the IM option for part of the set (although I woosed out on the 400 IM). He said that my fly is decent. Not sure if he was just being nice, or actually serious.
* There was a gal (who had also swam at ASU for years, from when I had done meets) doing the stroke option 'with' me (a couple lanes over). She wasn't amused when I didn't do the 400 IM with her though, and told me afterward that I 'owe' her a 400 IM now. Not only that, but evidently she chatted with Paul while I was swimming...
* After I got out, I was chatting with Paul about how I used to be a half decent breaststroker, and he said that's what that gal said. He was rather surprised when I told him the times I did at my last meet. I told him that it seems running and breaststroke seem to work counter to each other. He said he'd help me get back there.

then made it to run aft work, mostly the same route as last Tuesday, with 2 differences--
* went the opposite around the Papago/Botanical Garden loop (up the Galvin Pkwy hill)
* bagged the extra loop around the freeway at the end

Garmin stats--
distance: 6.92 miles
time: 1:00:01
avg pace: 8:40 min/mile
calories: 931
avg HR: 153 bpm
Link to Garmin Connect

Run notes--
* I really felt like cr*p most of this run. Stomach bothering me, legs sore, breathing not 100% (took my inhaler). Just generally not good feeling. Considered ending early, but I'm glad I trudged through it.
* Thought I was starting similar time to last week, but must have been at least 15-20 min later. It got dark fast, I felt a chill...just hope I'm not coming down with anything.
* Got stopped at the single stoplight both times and for quite a while both times, just barely missed it on my outbound.
* Considering how I felt and how I thought I did, my avg pace wasn't too bad. Looking at my splits, I actually held a decent pace except for 2 miles, and they weren't even on the major uphill.
* I probably shouldn't have gone so hard on the treadmill yesterday, even though it felt so good at the time. Then the thrashing this morning, doing IM/stroke/kick didn't help. I won't run tomorrow, but will plan an elliptical for warm-up at the gym.

More notes on Racing Weight--
* I'm getting to the part of the book that could probably make the biggest difference, if I chose to apply it. Now is when things get tough...
* The whole carbs/fat/protein breakdown is tough for me. I've played around with this over the past few years.
* I did write down everything I ate today (up through when I left work), and assigned it the values, and my total wasn't bad at all. But then when I factor in dinner, things drop off a bit.
* Just reading the book had me try dark chocolate instead of my usual peanut M&M's snack for the past few days, and I think that had something to do with my stomach problems. While dark chocolate tastes good, it isn't something I'm used to.

I'm planning to swim in the morning, then gym after work.

Submit "Tues 02/16/2010:  AM Swim and PM Run" to Digg Submit "Tues 02/16/2010:  AM Swim and PM Run" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues 02/16/2010:  AM Swim and PM Run" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues 02/16/2010:  AM Swim and PM Run" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning , Running

Comments

Someone needed to sit you down and have a talk with you.

Assuming the 1000 and 500s are givens, I suggest the 50 breast, the 200 breast and either the 200 free or the 100 IM. My unreasonable suggestion would be to do the 1000, 100 breast, 200 IM, 500 free and the 100 free.
    I totally agree with Q and that is nice that Paul got through to you.
    Do the distance free stuff and all the breaststroke events.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Someone needed to sit you down and have a talk with you.

Assuming the 1000 and 500s are givens, I suggest the 50 breast, the 200 breast and either the 200 free or the 100 IM. My unreasonable suggestion would be to do the 1000, 100 breast, 200 IM, 500 free and the 100 free.
    I'm just curious, why would you suggest a 200 IM?

Not quite sure if I can do a 50 fly legally, it has been a while since I've attempted. I usually just do 1-arm after I give up. My time would be close to 3:00 if I could. My back is not good, but at least I know I can do it.

A 100 IM is much more do-able, as with a dive and dolphin kicks, I'd only have to do 3 or so actually fly strokes, and that I can live with. But my time would still suck, around 1:25 I'd guess.

In a way, I want to try a 100 free, just to see if I'm close to that 1 min goal. But being so close to the 500, it would be very tough.
    The second set of suggestions was an endurance test, so the 200 IM was because it does take some effort.

If you want to swim the 500 and the 100 free, find out how the 500s are being seeded and make sure you are in the first heat. As long as there are 2 or 3 heats of 500, you should have enough rest to swim a 100.
    The second set of suggestions was an endurance test, so the 200 IM was because it does take some effort.

If you want to swim the 500 and the 100 free, find out how the 500s are being seeded and make sure you are in the first heat. As long as there are 2 or 3 heats of 500, you should have enough rest to swim a 100.
    Endurance is one thing, but I have to be able to do it legally. I guess it doesn't matter, my time wouldn't be on any radar...but I just don't like the idea of getting a DQ.

Great idea for the 500/100, and I'm sure the meet director could make sure I'm well seeded to make it happen.
    It was the "unreasonable" suggestion.

I don't know, some meet director might think it was funny to seed you in the last heat of the 500 and the first heat of the 100.
    It was the "unreasonable" suggestion.

I don't know, some meet director might think it was funny to seed you in the last heat of the 500 and the first heat of the 100.
    Yea, I know it was your unreasonable suggestion, but it kind of intrigued me.

And yes, I could see a meet director doing that as a joke, only that isn't something you do to someone you're trying to get to a meet after several years. Certainly would make me think twice about doing another this year. I think Laura is listed as the meet director, or maybe Jake
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Yea, I know it was your unreasonable suggestion, but it kind of intrigued me.

And yes, I could see a meet director doing that as a joke, only that isn't something you do to someone you're trying to get to a meet after several years. Certainly would make me think twice about doing another this year. I think Laura is listed as the meet director, or maybe Jake
    Well if you would like to take a shot at the 200 IM, you can kick the fly. There is no rule on how many kicks you take between each stroke, so you could kick most of the 2nd leg. You can fake a 50 fly anyway. Other than the fly, the IM is a decent choice for you since you are swimming into your strengthes, and as your strokes get stronger, you want to pick up the pace.