View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

If only I had gills

Rate this Entry
Today I swam the noontime AG workout again. Weve been having glorious spring weather, and all the flowering trees are heavy with blossoms, so I enjoyed a beautiful walk across Central Park to the pool and back. I so love the city during the springtime.

Todays workout was stroke technique focusedCoach Craig talked about breathing on FL, BK, and BR, and we worked on transitioning from relaxed careful stroke with correct breathing to faster swims with correct breathing. I chose to work on BK, which seems like it should be easier than BR or FL to breathe on, but the set made me realize that as I work harder I tend to become more tense and not breathe out or in fully sometimes, especially into and out of turns. (I think sometimes I try to hoard my air right before turns, trying to breathe more in without breathing fully out first, and of course that is counterproductive.) It was good to work on that, and todays workout gives me some idea of how to approach that problem going forward. Heres what we did:

400 warmup

5 x 200 FR desc. @ 2:50 [2:38, 2:33, 2:30, 2:28, 2:26, 2:23]

Breathing chalk talk

6 x 150 ST @ biggish rest: 1st = 125 ez/25 fast; 2nd=100 ez/50 fast, etc. up to 150 fast

200 warmdown

That was it--short and sweet, with a bit of hard swimming, and some technique stuff to mull over during my next few swims. Im really getting to like this noontime swimming!

Submit "If only I had gills" to Digg Submit "If only I had gills" to del.icio.us Submit "If only I had gills" to StumbleUpon Submit "If only I had gills" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Lunchtime swims are the best, aren't they? I find them to be a great break from the routine. Central Park + endorphins sounds like a pleasant combination as well. Nice 200s set, by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Lunchtime swims are the best, aren't they? I find them to be a great break from the routine. Central Park + endorphins sounds like a pleasant combination as well. Nice 200s set, by the way!
    Yep, I'm defnitely becoming a mid-day swim fan.

And thanks for noticing those 200s, Speedo--I was surprised at how fast I went. I must have been inspired by my (very speedy) lanemates today!