View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Saturday morning workout with team

Rate this Entry
I swam a LCM workout with my team this morning. Saturday is the only day of the week that I do a 2-hour workout, and for the last 2 weekends I had cut this practice short because of meets. Today I stayed for the whole enchilada, and Im really feeling it now. Heres what we did:

900 LCM warmup

5 x 200 FR @ 3:30, desc. [3:15, 3:10 (actually this was more like a 3:06I waited to touch the wall until the 10 because I went into the set wanting to descend by :05 on each one, but after doing that I admitted to myself that it was silly to manipulate my times that way), 3:03, 3:01, 2:56]

10 x 50 ST (16.7 build, 16.7 sprint, 16.6 easy) @ 1:30 [We had cones dividing the pool into thirds for this one. I did BK.]

100 easy

8 x 100 IM (16.7 fly, 16.7 back, 16.6 breast, 50 FR) @ 2:00 [Used the cones again for the first length of each, then the 50 FR was fast. I could have used more rest on these.]

6 x 50 easy @ 1:00

3 x 500 FR @ 9:00 [This was long slow distance swimming. I did the 1st one all FR and maintained a 1:40/100 pace; my attention wandered a bit on the last two, and I amused myself by mixing in some BK and combining FL and BR kicks with my FR.]

100 warmdown

During the IM set Coach Craig pointed out that my left-hand FR entry was too wide. This was feeling pretty difficult to correct consistently. After some experimentation (plenty of opportunity for that on those 500s), I realized that when I breathe in I relax my core muscles a bit, and allow my back to arch. Since I usually 2-stroke breathe to my right, this happens every time Im placing my left hand into the water. Arching my back makes it hard to both place my hand in front of my shoulder and keep my elbow higher than my wrist, so I compensate by entering wider. So focusing on keeping my core strong while I breathe seemed to help me correct the left hand entry, Thinking about not looking forward before or during my breath also seemed to help, since thats another thing that leads to back arch.

Submit "Saturday morning workout with team" to Digg Submit "Saturday morning workout with team" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday morning workout with team" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday morning workout with team" to Google

Tags: technique
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am so jealous of all this LCM swimming that you are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I am so jealous of all this LCM swimming that you are doing.
    There's some symetry there, then--I'm jealous of all your upcoming LCM meets!
    (Really, I do feel very lucky every time I get to train longcourse.)
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    There's some symetry there, then--I'm jealous of all your upcoming LCM meets!
    (Really, I do feel very lucky every time I get to train longcourse.)
    I think that one local LCM pool opens the week after Zones but the pool is outside and I have no idea what it will be like outside. Well, the pool is heated.