Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Nationals and Coronavirus.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Re: Nationals and Coronavirus.

This guy knows a thing or two about whats important.

https://swimswam.com/maxime-rooney-w...arn-from-this/

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

And, this is what is also important-- extremely important. Check out this article from NBC News:
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...orld/23958120/
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Michael, you have been quiet on this thread since you wrote this post as well as posting "a visual for the unenlightened."

I suggested this in my March 14th post, #47: "
    Everybody who is reading this, check back on his post at the end of the month and see where we're at in this country. Michael's statement will look like... well, you can judge for yourself."

I would like to edit my statement to check back on Monday. Thanks to the
    2018 cutback of the pandemic team, our government doing way too little way to late, and Americans NOT taking this seriously; this country will be a serious mess long before the end of the month.

Oh, and if you think your safe because your younger, think again:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...96mNso1rvXXE00
    Do you take lessons to be such an irritating person, or is it a natural phenomenon? I have been quiet because I do not feel the need to respond to every other post made. Even quoting your own previous post? Get a new hobby.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    Do you take lessons to be such an irritating person, or is it a natural phenomenon? I have been quiet because I do not feel the need to respond to every other post made. Even quoting your own previous post? Get a new hobby.
    This thread has had some good information. I would personally appreciate it if you kept your personal attacks off of it.

Masters Swimming and Coronavirus.

I too would moderately appreciate it if Elaine and Michael would refrain from taunting and stick to the conversation.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    This thread has had some good information. I would personally appreciate it if you kept your personal attacks off of it.

Yes, 67, you have posted some excellent information. Now, for a sobering warning from the Surgeon General:
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/03/23/this-week-its-going-to-get-bad-surgeon-general-says-people-need-to-take-coronavirus-seriously/23958969/

Please, Forumites, do take this virus seriously, so we can all be around (even if we do irritate each other) to debate whether Summer Nationals should be canceled or not.
    Let's hope we beat this virus before then! As it is, it's looking like the 2020 Olympics may not go exactly as planned...

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

This week I was supposed to be at the beach on vacation. There is a pool and a weight room there, as well as the ocean. It was going to be fun as well as part of my preparation for Nationals. Instead,I am at home doing dryland exercises. Inspite of that, I feel lucky. The great thing about Masters is there are always more meets. I think about the NCAA seniors missing their last meet. I think about the people out of work or with their business closed and afraid of losing everything. I think of the people on ventilators fighting to live. I am very lucky.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

It had to happen, but I feel so sad for the athletes!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    This week I was supposed to be at the beach on vacation. There is a pool and a weight room there, as well as the ocean. It was going to be fun as well as part of my preparation for Nationals. Instead,I am at home doing dryland exercises. Inspite of that, I feel lucky. The great thing about Masters is there are always more meets. I think about the NCAA seniors missing their last meet. I think about the people out of work or with their business closed and afraid of losing everything. I think of the people on ventilators fighting to live. I am very lucky.
    I'm sorry you missed your vacation and Nationals, King Frog. It sounded like it would have been a fun getaway for you and Seal Girl. You have a great attitude, though. We are very lucky to be safe and well! Take care of yourself, my friend, and please give our best to Seal Girl for us.

In case you think it will never happen to you, this coronavirus is even striking Olympic swimmers:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...ziQoJGBNvnYLjI

Here we are on the last day of March, when I suggested we all check back and see where we are as a country with COVID-19. Hypothetically, if you could wind back the clock to the date USMS canceled Nationals, should USMS have canceled it? Does anybody still think USMS was wrong to cancel it when it did?

Here we are on the last day of March, when I suggested we all check back and see where we are as a country with COVID-19. Hypothetically, if you could wind back the clock to the date USMS canceled Nationals, should USMS have canceled it? Does anybody still think USMS was wrong to cancel it when it did?
    At this point, i'm not sure LCM is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JSC910 View Post
    At this point, i'm not sure LCM is happening.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's canceled as well.

Looking at the U of W's projections, mid-August may be OK, or maybe not. Nationals is not as important as lives and jobs, but it would be nice to be able to look forward to. Everyone please take care of yourselves and stay safe.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Absolutely is should have been cancelled. That said, I generally am not a fan of cancelling things that far in advance. Meaning, not cancelling is more flexible in that you can always cancel, but you can't un-cancel if things fizzle out. I know that people make travel plans, but people can judge those kinds of things for themselves (after all.....it is not like people will be planning alternate travel). I probably would have given it another couple of weeks, knowing what we knew at that point in time. But there may be reasons to cancel early taht I don't understand.

Now, all that said. Had I paid as much attention to the trendlines from other places as I am doing to ours now, I would have been a stronger proponent of cancelling. Which I guess is why I don't get paid the big bucks

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

I find that asking and getting info from my fellow forum members is better than looking around the internet for random blurbs if not so rational thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Had I paid as much attention to the trendlines from other places as I am doing to ours now, I would have been a stronger proponent of cancelling. Which I guess is why I don't get paid the big bucks
    No no no no

Dude! This is the INTERNET. You are never allowed to admit that you're not an expert in anything. After all, you can Google to find anything to support just how correct you are.

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Abd to make more real --- our daughter has a fellow worker at another location pass away from Covid19.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickfish View Post
    No no no no

Dude! This is the INTERNET. You are never allowed to admit that you're not an expert in anything. After all, you can Google to find anything to support just how correct you are.
    I even suck at sucking!

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Does anybody still think USMS was wrong to cancel it when it did?
    Probably not. Pundits and experts are saying exactly opposite things from what they were saying two months ago. Epidemiological models seem to be guessing (and UW model is currently off-overestimating cases--by a factor of 4). My colleagues in NY and New Orleans are getting murdered and other emergency departments across the country (including mine) are ghost towns. I am currently working half-time and we've cut the hours and pay and that has been repeated in at least dozens if not hundreds of ERs across the country. Interestingly, Sweden apparently did not institute such draconian measures (I guess we'll see how that plays out). 10 million Americans requesting unemployment benefits currently and that already astronomical number is surely to rise...a lot (I've got three of them now in my house). Unemployed, hopeless people tend to hurt themselves or others. The larger question whether all of this is right will ultimately be unknowable until well after the fact. I'm certain when it is all over, one viewpoint will gleefully point it's finger at the other side in smug satisfaction; but it's kind of like a class action lawsuit over a particularly annoying function on your iphone...nobody really wins (well, except very few).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast