Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pools closed - any ideas?

Participating Member

Pools closed - any ideas?

Hey everyone! Hope Im not posting something that has already been asked, but I didnt see anything in the forum yet, so...

With pools closing left and right, does anyone have any clever ideas of how to keep swimming (or how to keep your sanity if thats not possible)? I thought of getting a wetsuit and swimming laps in my apartment pool, then they closed that...is anyone opting for open water?

Trying to get clever, & at the same wondering if I should just suck it up and deal with the break/be grateful to just be healthy! Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Pools closed - any ideas?

I'm just doing dryland/yoga/strength work, walking the dog more and waiting for the ice to melt on the nearby lakes so it's warm enough for my thin wetsuit to do some open water training.

Some people I've heard are doing these crazy things called running and biking, but I still have some standards and a reputation to uphold as an aquatic being.

You beat me to the punch starting this thread. I was going to call my thread "Coping with Corona" because beer seemed like a good solution. Almost all the pools around me are closed, but there is one odd length pool(about 20M per my measurement) still open. Since few people use it and it's chlorine level runs from high to ouch, I feel relatively safe going there. If it closes, well I know a lot of dryland exercises, but they are a chore and swimming is not. As to running, it is unpleasant.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    You beat me to the punch starting this thread. I was going to call my thread "Coping with Corona" because beer seemed like a good solution. Almost all the pools around me are closed, but there is one odd length pool(about 20M per my measurement) still open. Since few people use it and it's chlorine level runs from high to ouch, I feel relatively safe going there. If it closes, well I know a lot of dryland exercises, but they are a chore and swimming is not. As to running, it is unpleasant.

From the moment I heard "Coronavirus," I thought how unfortunate it was for Corona Beer to share that name. Will people still reach for that beer when they are perusing the offerings in the beer cooler? I'm guessing that brand will take a big hit. Even if it's not a conscious choice, the subliminal effect will take its toll on their sales.

Now, back to the subject, pools are closed all over our area of Georgia, but Rob Copeland doesn't mind. He's enjoying swims at Lake Peachtree in what he says is a "balmy" 64 degrees!
    I told him to let me know when it hits 70. I'll be ready for some open water swimming by then, if the pools aren't yet open.

My neighborhood is hilly, so hubby and I are taking walks and enjoying whatever signs of human life we see along the way. Quick chats and long conversations alike take place at a safe across-the-street distance, so it's having to suffice as a substitute for my swims and in-person social life.

My best friend here teaches yoga and water aerobics classes. I suggested she round up her yoga students via e-mail and teach a class on the back lawn of our recreation center with the mandatory rule that everybody space themselves social distance apart.

As a substitute for our Friday night dances in our community, I thought we could set up a boom box in the parking lot. Each person gets their own parking place, leaving an empty space between. When the spaces are full, you're S.O.L.

The ideas don't stop there; hubby and I have thought of all sorts of ideas while out on our walks. It's a distraction to keep from freaking out over the downward spiral this country (and world) is taking at the moment.

As for all of my dryland routines I used to do on deck following my swim workouts, I am now doing them at home. Today, I did them out in the garage while I was entertained listening to hubby and our neighbor talking sports (or lack thereof) from opposite ends of the driveway.

So, here's my
    :

If you are nursing injuries, this is a good time to let them heal and/or do PT exercises-- whatever advice your doctor gave you, but you ignored, because you wanted to keep swimming.

If you are like me and trying to prevent future swimming injuries, this is the time to do some research and develop a routine of exercises to prepare for your return to the pool. I do yoga, body weight exercises (push ups, planks, etc.), Theraband PT exercises, and other stretching that is not considered yoga.

In the meantime, stay safe and stay well!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Elaine, great post! Can you share all the dryland exercises that your're doing?

Participating Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Just knowing youre not alone helps a lot!
    Pwb, running I can stomach, but I draw the line at cycling
    Elaine, I laughed so hard when I read your advice about finally taking care of that injury...Ive been ignoring my ankle sprain for months, guess it is time to finally PT! Id love to hear which dryland exercises everyone is doing, too! The only ones I have right now come from Sean Vigue (yoga coach out of Colorado - he has an app with several free videos, mostly power yoga & Pilates but has some stretching too)...theyre great, but shaking it up would be good too!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    From the moment I heard "Coronavirus," I thought how unfortunate it was for Corona Beer to share that name. Will people still reach for that beer when they are perusing the offerings in the beer cooler? I'm guessing that brand will take a big hit. Even if it's not a conscious choice, the subliminal effect will take its toll on their sales.
    I never reached for a Corona before the virus. It's just not good beer. Any beer that requires a piece of fruit to make it palatable isn't worth it for me.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Elaine, great post! Can you share all the dryland exercises that your're doing?
    Thanks, Renie! For you and Amj, the following are some links to the exercises I do as recommended by the PT's I have seen in the past:

First, I start off with dynamic stretching. I write "Elaine's Tip of the Month" for the Georgia Masters Newsletter, and you can find some of the dynamic stretches in those newsletters. Scroll down to the towards the end or to the end of each of these links, because they appear later in the newsletter. (If you're bored and want to read about other swimmers, I also write Swimmer Profile features in each newsletter. Go to https://www.georgiamasters.org/GAM/news.cfm: and check them out.

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0...Newsletter.pdf

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0...Newsletter.pdf

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0607/file/Newsletters/2019/2019-07%20GAM%20Newsletter.pdf

One resource I have found to be excellent is the McKenzie Technique books. He has a book for the knees, but I have used this book for my shoulder:

https://www.amazon.com/Robin-McKenzie-081626886-Treat-Shoulder/dp/B07G92C6LF/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?
    keywords=mckenzie+technique+book+shoulder&qid=1584 637014&sr=8-1-fkmr0&swrs=67B2A7A52F63A706BFD367DC1EA4BC45

I do these exercises as dynamic stretches before I swim ( now, I walk) by not holding the stretch. They become static stretches if you hold the stretch, and those are great to do at the end of your workout.

After my aerobic exercise (I'm walking hills, but do whatever suits you), I do my strengthening exercises.

To learn proper technique for pushups, check this out:
    https://youtu.be/ihvdd0rPTiU

I worked up to doing them in sets of ten, and I am doing 100 on M-W-F. If you are unable to do these, do wall push-ups or push ups from your knees.

For ab work, I do various styles of crunches and military push-ups. You can find videos on YouTube for those as well.

For shoulder PT exercises, I use a Theraband for some of them. If you don't have hand weights for the others, you can used a bottle of something from you pantry or bottled water. Google "Thrower's 10 Exercises," and you will see several different links. My orthopedic surgeon (for my hip surgery) recommended doing these for my shoulders. Here's one:

https://webapps.muhlenberg.edu:442/ArchivedResources/pdf/main/athletics/athletic_training/throwers10.pdf

Next, I do yoga. I taught myself by using these two resources:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Beginners-Liz-Lark/dp/0060535415/ref=sr_1_3?
    keywords=power+yoga+for+beginners+liz+lark&qid=158 4637177&sr=8-3&swrs=8DAB9365DD8212AE72AB55CD5FC27430

https://www.amazon.com/Athletes-Pocket-Guide-Yoga-Flexibility/dp/1934030414/ref=sr_1_2?crid=34LT0JM03RUUP&keywords=the+athlete s+pocket+guide+to+yoga&qid=1584637231&sprefix=the+ athlete%27s+pocket+guide+to+yoga%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2

Yoga is excellent for strength, flexibility and balance, so I highly recommend it! I also do these stretches at the end of my workout. (I do more, but I don't have anything prepared to share):

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0607/file/Newsletters/2019/2019-11%20GAM%20Newsletter.pdf

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0607/file/Newsletters/2020/2020-01%20GAM%20Newsletter.pdf

https://www.clubassistant.com/c/7BB0607/file/Newsletters/2020/2020-02%20GAM%20Newsletter.pdf

This should get you off to a great start! Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    I never reached for a Corona before the virus. It's just not good beer. Any beer that requires a piece of fruit to make it palatable isn't worth it for me.

Dan

Yeah, I hear ya. I never liked Corona or any Mexican beers for that matter. My favorite is Pilsner Urquell, Blue Moon, a few of the Aussie beers and some Canadian beers.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

My odd length pool closed. Another pool that said they would take special precautions to stay open safely also closed. I did a dryland workout this morning and I'D RATHER BE SWIMMING.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

My odd length pool closed. Another pool that said they would take special precautions to stay open safely also closed. I did a dryland workout this morning and I'D RATHER BE SWIMMING.
    I agree with you 100%!

Dawson Hughes just sent out a COVID-19 update with links to resources for dryland. This should help provide more ideas on how we can all stay fit!

Very Active Member

Wow, that's a ton of info. Thanks, Elaine!

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Wow, that's a ton of info. Thanks, Elaine!

You're welcome, Renie! I'm sure the USMS site will have a lot more to add to what I provided.
    Happy(?) training!

Participating Member

Thank you so much, Elaine!! Already got to use some of your dryland (only made it to 30 push-ups and had trouble even showering after, so...I guess I needed that!

Participating Member

I actually looked up endless pool pricing today (and got a GREAT laugh in!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Amj7348 View Post
    Thank you so much, Elaine!! Already got to use some of your dryland (only made it to 30 push-ups and had trouble even showering after, so...I guess I needed that!
    ​You're welcome! Start slow on the push-ups, and don't worry about getting your core down all of the way at first. It's something you need to build up to, so you don't suffer!

My bike is still on hooks in the garage. Doing pushups, squats, walk a few miles.
    Here's the past week's swimming.

3/12 - 1500y
    3/13 - 0
    3/14 - 0
    3/15 - 0
    3/17 - 0
    3/18 - 0
    3/19 - 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amj7348 View Post
    I rarely do as many as 30 in a row. I normally do sets of 20-25. 4-6-8 sets with a few minutes between. Likewise for squats, sets of 10-15. Ive gotten to 150 pushups a day for weeks at a time, but as far back as I can recall, my max set was 70. In my 60s I would do more. One day, age 65, I managed 10 sets of 50 in 1 hr. Its gotten a bit tougher to sustain at 72.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    My bike is still on hooks in the garage. Doing pushups, squats, walk a few miles.
    Here's the past week's swimming.

3/12 - 1500y
    3/13 - 0
    3/14 - 0
    3/15 - 0
    3/17 - 0
    3/18 - 0
    3/19 - 0
    That's what I'm doing. My workouts this week:
    3/15 - Lift, 1.5 hours; walk 2 mles
    3/16 - swim 3500 yd
    3/17, 18, 19, 20 - walk 4 miles each day
    3/18 & 20 - Tennis - 2 hours

Tried yoga, but ended up hurting my back. Lol, am find today.

Very Active Member

Yeah, damn. The pools are are closed in my 'hood also, for god knows how long.

I started swimming in Feb 2019 after decades of being a runner, but my left knee didn't agree with running anymore. So I went CRAZY with swimming, and now this. (Plus divorce on top of all of it, but that would be tmi, sorry.) I sometimes wonder if my swimming phase was merely Feb 2019 - Mar 2020, RIP. But I do miss it, and I do look forward to getting back into it, whenever this crazy period (covid + life) resolves itself. Those damn runners are lucky....they can still go out and do their thing, alone. I'm jealous, and angry. But where does that get me?

I stay sane by getting out, alone, often.....walking in the forest, visualizing that sub 6min 400m someday......
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast