Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: When we return to swimming.

Blog Entries

Re: When we return to swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer View Post
    ...As matters turn out, though, at least three easy-access places for me to swim in SF Bay have buoy lines where people who like that sort of thing can do interval training in open water.
    I'm familiar with Aquatic Park and swam there a couple of times (risking the taunts from the Dolphin Clubbers and South End Rowers as I entered with a wetsuit). What other places have courses marked out?

...So many things about today are SO AWFUL that this one small personal thing is a very nice focal point for my efforts (mostly successful, but with considerable struggle) to practice gratitude and optimism.
    I totally agree. My first two swims in a lake were somewhat magical for the novelty and joy of being back in the water. My third swim was great, but I got too focused on trying to figure out how to make it like a pool workout. On my fourth swim, when I just let go after my first leg (~1000 meters) and just said to myself, "I'm going to swim to that point and see what happens" ... I finally just relaxed into the lake, into the scenery, into the flow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    ...just said to myself, "I'm going to swim to that point and see what happens" ... I finally just relaxed into the lake, into the scenery, into the flow.
    That's what I like most about lake swimming. The lake where I'm swimming has buoys spread around (I'm sure they're a set distance apart but I haven't figured it out yet). I've done 2 rounds to, "the end," of the buoys, and usually the 3rd is some other place that I randomly pick; there's wires that cross over at one point and sometimes I'll pick that as a point, or the buoy just after the wires.
    I registered for the virtual swim series, but after thinking about it I haven't submitted an entry. I was just enjoying the water too much to think of fast swims.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    What other places have courses marked out?
    Clipper Cove, on Treasure Island, has some buoys in a line to keep people with boats from getting stuck in the mud where the water is shallowest. They are in deep enough water to swim and are about 50m apart.

In the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina, west of the Cal Adventures dock, someone has placed a line of small round yellow buoys with red ones at each end. The red ones are also about 50m apart, with yellow ones at about 10m intervals between them.

Blog Entries

Clipper Cove, on Treasure Island, has some buoys in a line to keep people with boats from getting stuck in the mud where the water is shallowest. They are in deep enough water to swim and are about 50m apart.

In the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina, west of the Cal Adventures dock, someone has placed a line of small round yellow buoys with red ones at each end. The red ones are also about 50m apart, with yellow ones at about 10m intervals between them.
    Very cool! Once I can actually get on a plane and fly again, I'll remember this.

Blog Entries

I finally got in an open water swim yesterday evening. Water and air temp were both around 70. It was perfect while I was swimming, but since I tend to get chilled very easily, it was a couple of hours and a long hot shower before my goosebumps went away. Although it felt great to stretch my arms out and swim for longer than 13yds without a turn, I'm paying for it today with my sinuses. I don't know what it is about freshwater swims, but they really mess with me.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn View Post
    I'm paying for it today with my sinuses. I don't know what it is about freshwater swims, but they really mess with me.
    I used to get a lot of congestion and drainage when I did open water. A couple shots of Flonase (over the counter now) in each nostril has really helped a great deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn View Post
    ... I'm paying for it today with my sinuses. I don't know what it is about freshwater swims, but they really mess with me.
    I have the same issues.....regardless if it's pool, fresh open water, or salt open water...I find that a sinus rinse with a saline solution post-swim gives me complete relief. This is the one I use... http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sin...8aAv8mEALw_wcB

Dan

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Our YMCA started Master's workouts Monday. We have a 25m 10 lane outdoor pool. We had about 25 people there and it was easy to maintain distancing. A couple of lanes had people from the same household so there was no need to distance within them.

It feels great to get back in the water! I hope you all get back in the water soon!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Our community outdoor pool opened up last Saturday, and I have been in every day. It has been great! The water temp has been a perfect 78 degrees when the pool opens at 8 am, and I haven't had a problem getting one of the 2 lanes. (They were going to let only one swimmer in the two lap lanes; however, they decided to open up both lanes.)

The nicest surprise was the validation that my Theraband and stretch chord work, push-ups, yoga, stretching, and other dryland really payed off while I was out of the water for eleven weeks. Although I am not doing any race-pace yet, I haven't had any muscle soreness, even after swimming 300 yards of fly (of the 1800 yards I swam) on my first day. Since then, I have been gradually increasing my yardage and intensity.

The best part? Just being in the water
    , especially after all that has been going on. It has been great mental and emotional therapy, in addition to the physical benefits.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

A) I'm happy for y'all.

B) Y'all are killing me.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    A) I'm happy for y'all.

B) Y'all are killing me.
    ​Sorry, Skuj.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

[QUOTE=ElaineK;338224]Our community outdoor pool opened up last Saturday, and I have been in every day. It has been great! The water temp has been a perfect 78 degrees when the pool opens at 8 am, and I haven't had a problem getting one of the 2 lanes. (They were going to let only one swimmer in the two lap lanes; however, they decided to open up both lanes.)

The nicest surprise was the validation that my Theraband and stretch chord work, push-ups, yoga, stretching, and other dryland really payed off while I was out of the water for eleven weeks. Although I am not doing any race-pace yet, I haven't had any muscle soreness, even after swimming 300 yards of fly (of the 1800 yards I swam) on my first day. Since then, I have been gradually increasing my yardage and intensity.

The best part? Just being in the water
    , especially after all that has been going on. It has been great mental and emotional therapy, in addition to the physical benefits.[/QUOTE

Great news about your return. How do you feel about your various physical issues after the layoff? 300 yds of fly incredible?

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

I just had the Bursae sac removed from my right elbow as it has been drained 3 times and will continue to do so,I am told.
    Since we can't swim now, this seemed like a good time to have minor surgery..
    Maybe this will help me when I age up for 2021 SC Nationals?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I just had the Bursae sac removed from my right elbow
    Recover well. If it was aggravating prior to surgery, having it removed can only help the swimming

i hope it does help. Thanx Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kornblatt View Post

Great news about your return. How do you feel about your various physical issues after the layoff? 300 yds of fly incredible?

Sorry I missed your message earlier! I guess I scrolled down through the thread to fast before posting my last message.

Anyway, thanks, Dan! Some of the physical issues I have are things I will have to live with the rest of my life, so nothing has changed there. I do, however, feel really good about the dryland work I did during the eleven weeks off. It really paid off! I have increased my intensity and/or yardage each day over this past week, and I am feeling great! My fly feels just as strong as before, even if it's slow. (I haven't used my watch all week, and I don't intend on timing myself at race pace for awhile.) My legs also feel strong from all of the hill-walking I did every single day I was out of the pool. (Even in the rain with an umbrella!)

Our outdoor pool is heating up, though; it was 83 degrees this morning instead of the perfect 78 last Saturday. If it keeps warming up, my heat intolerance issues will kick in, and I will have to back down the intensity. Fortunately, I just heard today that our indoor pool is re-opening in two weeks.

No word from our local pool as ro opening date ------ I'm waiting.

My county just announced that due to the increase in the number of Covid cases since going into Pase 1, they will delay going into phase 2. Phase 2 is when the pools can open.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

my state just opened outdoor pools, but no date for indoor pools. I'm lucky to be able to swim in the ocean
    this time of year.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast