Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: When we return to swimming.

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Re: When we return to swimming.

It seems that each pool will determine how to allow us to return to swimming.
    There is no100% right way to do this since we are all learning how to stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    kristilynn -

Our YMCA has an entirely different outlook on Masters swimming. Here is the text of an email they sent last week:

Welcome Back Masters

We are excited to announce that Masters swim will be one of the first programs to resume on June 1st as the Y opens.

The Y is excited to welcome back our Masters program starting June 1st in the outdoor pool. As we work to abide by health regulations, our program will look a little differently following safety guidelines from the CDC and YMCA policy. Jacky Yen will be our new coach and will introduce herself soon followed with more detailed information on the masters schedule and regulations. See more details on the YMCA reopen below:
    The Masters program at our Y has been very robust over the last 15 years and the director makes the program a priority. It is a shame that there is not a nationwide emphasis on masters programs.
    I'm so jealous.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Increasingly, here in Canada, where Governments actually pay attention to science / health experts (Aaww Jees.....I'm going to get crucified for that, aren't I?) it seems to me that it will be at least September when I resume regular indoor pool swimming. Anything before that will be a lovely surprise.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    Increasingly, here in Canada, where Governments actually pay attention to science / health experts (Aaww Jees.....I'm going to get crucified for that, aren't I?) it seems to me that it will be at least September when I resume regular indoor pool swimming. Anything before that will be a lovely surprise.
    One more reason to love Canada, in my opinion...

I just learned that the outdoor pool in our Sun City community is opening on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how it will work with just one swim lane open for lap swimming. (The pool is a free-form shape with the 25-yard lap pool connected at one end. There are two lanes; however, they are only allowing one swimmer at a time.)

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Increasingly, here in Canada, where Governments actually pay attention to science / health experts (Aaww Jees.....I'm going to get crucified for that, aren't I?)
    Well, not by me up here in Ontario as I'm quite happy with the aggregate response nationally, but there are provincial variations (e.g., BC is kicking Ontario's and Quebec's a**es)

...it seems to me that it will be at least September when I resume regular indoor pool swimming
    I think you're right, but I think this is the wrong decision. There is no reason we cannot be implementing reservation-based, single or two-person lap lane uses now in Canada.

Now that I've discovered some lakes I can train in, I'll be fine until mid-to-end of September, but Canada (and northern US states) do need to figure out a way to re-open pools. Beyond the health benefits across all ages, pools are significant investments in public health infrastructure that are sitting idle and being wasted.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Not familiar with Canada but I agree Washington DC can be quite inept with legislation based on science

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Sadly, I think misery will be a new normal. We will forever be even more subject to arbitrary aquatics directors/leaders opinions on safety.
    Unfortunately I believe you are correct, Kurt. This is just the opportunity control freaks have been waiting for. I'm all for measures that make sense, but there's definitely some shenanigans going on. There was a story in the Seattle paper yesterday that discussed how all the city owned tennis courts are padlocked despite the governor specifically allowing racket sports earlier in the month. City guy they quoted said they are "still assessing..."

We're still at least a few weeks from pools being allowed to open here. I've been swimming in the lake and it's crazy how many swimmers there are out there!
    Last edited by knelson; May 28th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dissatisfied with waiting for pools to open, I found a natural location to swim in last week. I only went about 50 meters, but after 2 1/2 months dry, it was a beginning. And the fish did not seem to mind. But the water was 40-50 degrees at 10 am.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member

Yeah, I'm going to go and check out the lake soon. I'm not an open-water person, but desperate times call for desperate measures. My last swim was March 13th. Perhaps I will begin lake swimming on June 13th. 3 months off constitutes a really big break, right? (6 months off constitutes starting from scratch.)
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

Very Active Member

Yeah, I'm going to go and check out the lake soon. I'm not an open-water person, but desperate times call for desperate measures. My last swim was March 13th. Perhaps I will begin lake swimming on June 13th. 3 months off constitutes a really big break, right? (6 months off constitutes starting from scratch.)
    I've started swimming with the local open water group. It is very different. We've been swimming against some raging current. Biggest issue I found was the first time I went, I got very disoriented, and a bit dizzy. Ended up going back out after a break, and made the swim. But be sure you spot VERY frequently, that was the difference for me. I'm not going to tell you I enjoy it, but there is a weird masochistic thing in there when you are determined to complete a swim. The comradery seems very tight with the group, which is cool.

Blog Entries

I've done a lot of open water races (lakes and oceans) in my life, but very rarely ever 'trained' in open water. I've now done 4 swims ranging from 2Km to almost 4Km in a nearby lake and am really enjoying it. I have gotten lucky to find a warm enough lake that, provided I go early enough, is devoid of boats. As a lifelong (have been swimming almost 50 years now) pool swimmer, training in a lake is very different. Rather than focus on times/speed/sets, I'm really just trying to stretch out, enjoy the water and try to get into a Zen/flow state. I think I finally got there yesterday morning and a 1600 meter 'lap' after about 2K of warmup felt smooth and went by in a dreamlike state.

Blog Entries

Paul I'm so envious of you having a lake, though dang, it has to be cold up there!

I was down in St Pete, FL last weekend and enjoyed a slow (very slow) mile-ish swim along the shore. It was heaven. I need to move.
    Kari Kennedy

I had opened our home pool the first week of May...about three weeks earlier than the usual last week of May (coastal RI is too chilly for outdoor swimming until then). I've done several tethered swims in it up to just over an hour long. Which in and of itself is odd because I almost never go in the home pool...yet I'm the only one who does any of the cleaning/care/upkeep of it. There are complete summers where I never went in it once. This year...I've probably spent more time in it than I have in all other years combined since we've lived in this house (nine years). I'm just not a backyard pool kind of guy. Still had to wear a wetsuit as the water temp was still only 60°F...until the heater got it up to mid 70s. Then finally two days ago (on 27 May) I went down to my local beach for an open water swim. The water there is still at 60°. I made the mistake of wearing my sleeveless wetsuit. I intended to swim a full two miles...but my exposed arms got too cold, which eventually caused my whole body to get cold. Had to get out at just over 1.5 miles. Next swim I'll wear the long sleeve wetsuit. Won't be able to go wetsuit-less for another few weeks at least.

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I've done a lot of open water races (lakes and oceans) in my life, but very rarely ever 'trained' in open water. I've now done 4 swims ranging from 2Km to almost 4Km in a nearby lake and am really enjoying it. I have gotten lucky to find a warm enough lake that, provided I go early enough, is devoid of boats. As a lifelong (have been swimming almost 50 years now) pool swimmer, training in a lake is very different. Rather than focus on times/speed/sets, I'm really just trying to stretch out, enjoy the water and try to get into a Zen/flow state. I think I finally got there yesterday morning and a 1600 meter 'lap' after about 2K of warmup felt smooth and went by in a dreamlike state.
    After being out of the water for two months I'm enjoying swimming without a pace clock. I know I'm not swimming fast, but at least I don't have a constant reminder of that fact.

Blog Entries

I've done a lot of open water races (lakes and oceans) in my life, but very rarely ever 'trained' in open water.
    I'm mostly the same way. I've done an o/w event (I won't say I race ) at least once a year since 2001 I think, but rarely have done o/w training swims. When I lived in AZ, I did some swim-bike-swim training with friends from Butcher Jones at Saguaro Lake a few times, but otherwise it was all pool training.
    I used to think that swimming at Barton Springs in Austin was like open water. It isn't quite a pool (no line on the bottom nor ropes), but not quite o/w either (rarely any chop, minimal currents).

When my pools closed here, a friend told me about Lake Austin. I was a bit skeptical at first, and the water was quite chilly (in early April), but I braved it and really got to enjoy it. Until the weather and water started to warm up and boats became a problem. I went about 3x a week for 6 weeks and truly feel that was some of the best o/w training I've done in my life.

Now that my pools are open again, I'm swimming there. But they still have the silly rule of the hour limit. Yes, even if I'm the only person in the pool and not another soul is in sight, I still need to get out at an hour (and the lifeguards seem to enjoy telling me about it). I've done a work around a few times, swimming an hour at one pool then driving to another pool (same community, same pass) and swimming for another hour there. The lifeguards think it is hilarious when they see me at pool #2, as there is usually one who starts at pool #1 and moves (today I saw one at pool #1 then he must have followed me, after I did an 800 at #2 I saw him on deck).
    Since I registered for a 10k swim in July, I hope to get to the lake a few times to keep my o/w fitness up.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    ...Now that my pools are open again, I'm swimming there. But they still have the silly rule of the hour limit. Yes, even if I'm the only person in the pool and not another soul is in sight, I still need to get out at an hour (and the lifeguards seem to enjoy telling me about it). I've done a work around a few times, swimming an hour at one pool then driving to another pool (same community, same pass) and swimming for another hour there. The lifeguards think it is hilarious when they see me at pool #2, as there is usually one who starts at pool #1 and moves (today I saw one at pool #1 then he must have followed me, after I did an 800 at #2 I saw him on deck)
    You gotta love when bureaucracy trumps common sense!

Very Active Member

You gotta love when bureaucracy trumps common sense!
    Well done. 10/10.

I've done a lot of open water races (lakes and oceans) in my life, but very rarely ever 'trained' in open water.
    I also very much enjoy OW racing but previously have done all of my high-intensity training in the pool. OW training in the before times was long slow distance, skill-building, and cold acclimation. As matters turn out, though, at least three easy-access places for me to swim in SF Bay have buoy lines where people who like that sort of thing can do interval training in open water. So many things about today are SO AWFUL that this one small personal thing is a very nice focal point for my efforts (mostly successful, but with considerable struggle) to practice gratitude and optimism.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    Paul I'm so envious of you having a lake, though dang, it has to be cold up there!
    XTerra has their wetsuits on clearance right now. Still a large selection. Makes a HUGE difference, but it shocks the face when you first get in water in the 50's. I've done a few in the low 60s' withi a sleeveless one, and it feels great.

Very Active Member

LOL. We will all be posting in the Open Water section soon enough. Pool swimming is soooooooooo 2019.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast