Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: When we return to swimming.

Blog Entries

Re: When we return to swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    Appreciate the Garmin recommendations, but:

a) I am a luddite.
    b) I hate the feeling of anything on my wrist as I swim.
    Another option is to just use your phone for tracking. I bought a swim buoy for use during OW swims and the nice thing about it is it includes a dry bag to stash things like your keys in during your swim. I put my phone in a waterproof case for extra protection, start the Strava app before starting my swim, stash the phone in the dry bag and then start swimming. I find it tracks very well from inside the buoy since it's floating on top of the water.

Very Active Member

At the risk of sounding like a stubborn old luddite, I'm very happy with my counting breaths routine, and the assumption that every half-cycle is 1 meter. Maybe that assumption is off a little, but that's fine. I'm only interested in "exactness" when we get back to the pool, in 2024 apparently.

10th session in the lake this morning!!!
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

Blog Entries

I think that will get you a reasonable estimate, but I'm amazed you don't lose count!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I think that will get you a reasonable estimate, but I'm amazed you don't lose count!
    I only count the breaths on every....um....third half-cycle. So a "200m" is 67 breaths. I find it rather easy to remember the count. Also, google earth pedometer confirms that I am very close to 1m per half-cycle. I swim close to a shoreline and there are several markers that I can use to measure quite accurately.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

2024???? Yikes !!! I sure hope it is sooner than that!

Very Active Member

At the risk of sounding like a stubborn old luddite, I'm very happy with my counting breaths routine, and the assumption that every half-cycle is 1 meter. Maybe that assumption is off a little, but that's fine. I'm only interested in "exactness" when we get back to the pool, in 2024 apparently.

10th session in the lake this morning!!!
    At the risk of sounding like a jerk, you aren't off a little, you are off a LOT. You'd be more effective throwing darts. Blind folded. Seriously, open water is a TOTALLY different animal.
    Short course pool - 1.9m/stroke (or half cycle)......falls to maybe 1.6 at the end of a hard mile.
    100M pool - 43.8 cycles per lap, which amounts to 1.15m/stroke
    Open water - 1.03m/stroke

It isn't just the wall. It is also the sighting, the chop, the current.

A note about current. My first swim, current was very strong. Only made it about 500 yards. Took 40 minutes. But under 8 minutes back (I"m going off of memory). That averages 4:48 per 100. Thursday, average current. Don't know what it was there and back, as I just swam around a bridge. But average was 1:36/100. FWIW, at those distances, I average about 1:22/100 in the pool.

I get teh dislike of the technology. I don't do Instagram, Twitter, or any of that other stuff (do have a FB account). My response last week when a guy mentioned using Strava for tracking stuff was "What's Strava?" Don't really care about a lot of that stuff, and I have been swimming without those tools for years. But don't kid yourself into swimming blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    A note about current. My first swim, current was very strong. Only made it about 500 yards. Took 40 minutes. But under 8 minutes back (I"m going off of memory). That averages 4:48 per 100. Thursday, average current. Don't know what it was there and back, as I just swam around a bridge. But average was 1:36/100. FWIW, at those distances, I average about 1:22/100 in the pool.
    If you are swimming in the Tennessee River through Knoxville, yes there can be quite a bit of current. I did the Bridges to Bluffs swim last year. We started a little north of town (we rode the Star of Knoxville ship and you 'walk the plank' to begin) and finished at Tennessee River Gardens, downstream a ways. My paddler had me going near the middle of the river quite a bit so I could take advantage of the current (she seemed like a semi-pro, had a really nice long boat).
    The current did die down quite a bit toward the end; the last 1.5 to 2 miles everyone said the current was minimal.
    That was my 4th 10k swim; I had done one about a month before in Michigan with a finish time around 3:16. This one was about 2:57.

I notice current when I swim in the lakes/river here too. It might just be a subtle difference that I feel in the water, but I really notice it when I look at my watch results after (I've been uploading my Apple Watch to Strava for the past 2-3 months).
    Last edited by aztimm; July 11th, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Very Active Member

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, you aren't off a little, you are off a LOT. You'd be more effective throwing darts. Blind folded. Seriously, open water is a TOTALLY different animal.
    Short course pool - 1.9m/stroke (or half cycle)......falls to maybe 1.6 at the end of a hard mile.
    100M pool - 43.8 cycles per lap, which amounts to 1.15m/stroke
    Open water - 1.03m/stroke

It isn't just the wall. It is also the sighting, the chop, the current.

I get teh dislike of the technology. I don't do Instagram, Twitter, or any of that other stuff (do have a FB account). My response last week when a guy mentioned using Strava for tracking stuff was "What's Strava?" Don't really care about a lot of that stuff, and I have been swimming without those tools for years. But don't kid yourself into swimming blind.
    I understand where you are coming from. When there is a wind and waves, yes that makes a huge difference. But where I swim, most of the time the water is calm and glassy. It's a relatively sheltered area, with log booms surrounding it. I wish I knew how to post a google-earth image with the 200m line that I use. (See, I am a luddite!) Lo and behold, after 67 breaths (ie "200m"), I have indeed covered that 200m distance when wind/waves are not a factor.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    If you're in Knoxville, I think Blaik has been holding o/w swims almost every day since pools shut down. And I don't think he owns a wetsuit
    Just want to give an update here. First, THANK YOU for mentioning this to me. I had no idea it was going on. But I started doing swims as soon as the group started up. Absolutely love the group of people I have met. Most are triathletes, and that's cool because I've opened up to doing that to work on my endurance. But again, just a great group of folks I've been getting to know. So anyway, just did the front half of Bridges to Bluffs this morning. I did very well, was with the lead group of 3 swimmers. New distance for me, 5400 yards, our (the 3 of us) average pace was 1:27/100, with virtually no current, and a strong headwind the last 2000 or so yards.

Very Active Member

5th session this week!! I feel like a "swimmer" again. There was a steady breeze this morning, with some waves. My "200m" going out was about 160m ground-distance, and my "200m" coming back was about 240m ground-distance.

Swam the second time today, it was great and better than the first time, in a river in 55 degree water in a wetsuit. At least it was swimming
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

O.M.F.G.

I'm in the Air Force. There is a pool on our base. I got to work early today, so I thought "I'll just go over to the pool and stare at it lovingly, and perhaps someone there can give me a hope in hell about eventual re-opening."

PEOPLE WERE SWIMMING!!!

I missed the memo that states that today is Day 1 for Mon-Wed-Fri 11am-noon bookings. I booked Wed-Fri this week.

So, for the next few weeks I'll see lake AND pool swimming.

(I think this means that I lost a bet.)

Blog Entries

So, for the next few weeks I'll see lake AND pool swimming.
    Great news! Hope you enjoy!

From what I've heard, the pools on the US military bases have been open much of this time. They aren't subject to state/local restrictions.
    When I was in the US Army, for the last 1-1/2 year, I was stationed at Ft Lewis, WA. I had a gym w/pool about a 10 min walk from my barracks, even less if I drove. I went a few times a week. They worked it out so that one of the base pools was open almost all the time (including during the night and weekends). If I remember correctly, there were 4 pools on base.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

Just want to give an update here. First, THANK YOU for mentioning this to me. I had no idea it was going on. But I started doing swims as soon as the group started up. Absolutely love the group of people I have met. Most are triathletes, and that's cool because I've opened up to doing that to work on my endurance. But again, just a great group of folks I've been getting to know. So anyway, just did the front half of Bridges to Bluffs this morning. I did very well, was with the lead group of 3 swimmers. New distance for me, 5400 yards, our (the 3 of us) average pace was 1:27/100, with virtually no current, and a strong headwind the last 2000 or so yards.
    Glad you connected with Blaik and have adjusted to open water swimming! I only swam the once there (for the B2B event), and just met Blaik briefly, but he is good friends with a few people I know so I figured he'd take care of you.
    I'm sure he's trying to talk you into doing Bridges to Bluffs. I thought it was a good event, though a bit pricey. I'm not doing it this year, but am planning for Swim the Suck, if it goes forward.
    Check out my blog here

Very Active Member

Thanks aztimm.

On Friday I might push a 100m, just to see how "fast" I am. PR 1:19.5 pre-covid. Sub 1:40? Sub 1:35??

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

You must have a good number of usaf years in Skuj. 1:22 my bid

Kurt, does the Strava app require $59/yr just to log?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    You must have a good number of usaf years in Skuj. 1:22 my bid
    38 years RCAF!!

Oh my, 1:22? Haha. You are waaaaaay too kind. Tomorrow is my 13th session back after 3.5 months off. I think 1:40 might be hard!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Kurt, does the Strava app require $59/yr just to log?
    I just use the free version. I log workouts with my Apple Watch, then upload them to Strava.
    Check out my blog here

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    Glad you connected with Blaik and have adjusted to open water swimming! I only swam the once there (for the B2B event), and just met Blaik briefly, but he is good friends with a few people I know so I figured he'd take care of you.
    I'm sure he's trying to talk you into doing Bridges to Bluffs. I thought it was a good event, though a bit pricey. I'm not doing it this year, but am planning for Swim the Suck, if it goes forward.
    Actually, I think he is letting the environment do the selling. He has a really, really good group of folks there, and has done a fantastic job of fostering an environment of great camaraderie. That alone makes me want to. I've managed to get pretty tight with a group of pretty hard core athletes, which is a pretty strong indicator of doing it, I think. Just really needed to see if I thought I had enough in me, and based on the first half, I'm feeling pretty good abotu my chances. But I have a lot to learn about preparation!

Very Active Member

Aaaaaah, the pool!!

I was very pleasantly surprised with my first pool session after 13 lake sessions:

400m warmup (7:43), 800m pleasant tempo (14:23), 400m cooldown (7:30).

I was expecting 8:30 400m.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast