Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: When we return to swimming.

Blog Entries

Re: When we return to swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer View Post
    ...As matters turn out, though, at least three easy-access places for me to swim in SF Bay have buoy lines where people who like that sort of thing can do interval training in open water.
    I'm familiar with Aquatic Park and swam there a couple of times (risking the taunts from the Dolphin Clubbers and South End Rowers as I entered with a wetsuit). What other places have courses marked out?

...So many things about today are SO AWFUL that this one small personal thing is a very nice focal point for my efforts (mostly successful, but with considerable struggle) to practice gratitude and optimism.
    I totally agree. My first two swims in a lake were somewhat magical for the novelty and joy of being back in the water. My third swim was great, but I got too focused on trying to figure out how to make it like a pool workout. On my fourth swim, when I just let go after my first leg (~1000 meters) and just said to myself, "I'm going to swim to that point and see what happens" ... I finally just relaxed into the lake, into the scenery, into the flow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    ...just said to myself, "I'm going to swim to that point and see what happens" ... I finally just relaxed into the lake, into the scenery, into the flow.
    That's what I like most about lake swimming. The lake where I'm swimming has buoys spread around (I'm sure they're a set distance apart but I haven't figured it out yet). I've done 2 rounds to, "the end," of the buoys, and usually the 3rd is some other place that I randomly pick; there's wires that cross over at one point and sometimes I'll pick that as a point, or the buoy just after the wires.
    I registered for the virtual swim series, but after thinking about it I haven't submitted an entry. I was just enjoying the water too much to think of fast swims.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    What other places have courses marked out?
    Clipper Cove, on Treasure Island, has some buoys in a line to keep people with boats from getting stuck in the mud where the water is shallowest. They are in deep enough water to swim and are about 50m apart.

In the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina, west of the Cal Adventures dock, someone has placed a line of small round yellow buoys with red ones at each end. The red ones are also about 50m apart, with yellow ones at about 10m intervals between them.

Blog Entries

Clipper Cove, on Treasure Island, has some buoys in a line to keep people with boats from getting stuck in the mud where the water is shallowest. They are in deep enough water to swim and are about 50m apart.

In the South Sailing Basin at the Berkeley Marina, west of the Cal Adventures dock, someone has placed a line of small round yellow buoys with red ones at each end. The red ones are also about 50m apart, with yellow ones at about 10m intervals between them.
    Very cool! Once I can actually get on a plane and fly again, I'll remember this.

Blog Entries

I finally got in an open water swim yesterday evening. Water and air temp were both around 70. It was perfect while I was swimming, but since I tend to get chilled very easily, it was a couple of hours and a long hot shower before my goosebumps went away. Although it felt great to stretch my arms out and swim for longer than 13yds without a turn, I'm paying for it today with my sinuses. I don't know what it is about freshwater swims, but they really mess with me.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn View Post
    I'm paying for it today with my sinuses. I don't know what it is about freshwater swims, but they really mess with me.
    I used to get a lot of congestion and drainage when I did open water. A couple shots of Flonase (over the counter now) in each nostril has really helped a great deal for me.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678