Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: When we return to swimming.

Very Active Member

Re: When we return to swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    I've had 4 sessions in the lake now. Either I'm getting used to the temperature, or the temperature has gone up, or both, because I'm not experiencing major shivers when I exit now. Today I covered around 1000m total. I use strokes for measurement. I seem to recall that in the 25m pool, I was often 10.5 full cycles with a pushoff. That's 21 half cycles (or hand entries....both arms). So maybe that would be near 25 half cycles without a pushoff? So, in the lake, I assume each half cycle (or hand entry) is a meter. But I count breaths, which for me is always 3 half cycles. So...100m in the lake? 34 breaths!! (Always round up.)

Right?
    I wouldn't count on it. I'm in the 12-13 strokes (or "half cycle") per length in the pool. Open water is a TOTALLY different animal. MANY more stroke lengths. Not sure how much is push from the wall and a few UDK's, but my watch reads 1.03m per stroke. Swam in a 100M pool today, and using some of those markers, I was getting roughly 1m per pull, as well. Of course, conditioning is a factor, too. I'm not in the water 4-5 times per week like I had been.

Blog Entries

...Today I covered around 1000m total. I use strokes for measurement. I seem to recall that in the 25m pool, I was often 10.5 full cycles with a pushoff. That's 21 half cycles (or hand entries....both arms). So maybe that would be near 25 half cycles without a pushoff? So, in the lake, I assume each half cycle (or hand entry) is a meter. But I count breaths, which for me is always 3 half cycles. So...100m in the lake? 34 breaths!! (Always round up.)

Right?
    I'd highly recommend a Garmin Swim 2 watch and it will track your distancein both OW and pool

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I'd highly recommend a Garmin Swim 2 watch and it will track your distancein both OW and pool
    Love mine, but I'm still trying to figure out how to set it up so I can show my interval timer and my heart rate at the same time. But for open waters, so far it has been great! Bonus is I can use it for biking and running (until I get access to a pool, again). I actually was able to set it up for the weird 100M outdoor pool I swam in earlier this week.

Very Active Member

Appreciate the Garmin recommendations, but:

a) I am a luddite.
    b) I hate the feeling of anything on my wrist as I swim.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

Blog Entries

Appreciate the Garmin recommendations, but:

a) I am a luddite.
    b) I hate the feeling of anything on my wrist as I swim.
    Trust me, while I'm not a complete Luddite, I go very light when it comes to technology, and extremely light for swim technology. Other than a suit, goggles and a pace clock, the only piece of swim tech I typically use in the pool is a snorkle; occasionally fins to work on my dolphin kick. No paddles, no buoy, no kickboard, no tether cords, nothing else.

Also, I really don't like watches at all. I don't even wear one on land. And, I have actively avoided them in the water for precisely your reason #2 ... but, when the pool closure thanks to COVID meant my only ability to swim was open water, I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin Swim 2. I've been singularly impressed with how much it does not bother me when I swim.

Very Active Member

Trust me, while I'm not a complete Luddite, I go very light when it comes to technology, and extremely light for swim technology. Other than a suit, goggles and a pace clock, the only piece of swim tech I typically use in the pool is a snorkle; occasionally fins to work on my dolphin kick. No paddles, no buoy, no kickboard, no tether cords, nothing else.

Also, I really don't like watches at all. I don't even wear one on land. And, I have actively avoided them in the water for precisely your reason #2 ... but, when the pool closure thanks to COVID meant my only ability to swim was open water, I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin Swim 2. I've been singularly impressed with how much it does not bother me when I swim.
    That is almost exactly my scenario. Since i don't have a pace clock, I have used a Timex Ironman to help with intervals, and a lap counter (finger attached thing). That's it. But when I had to switch to open water, and started thinking about a 10K in September, I thought it might be wise to eliminate any guessing. I'm so ingrained with what I do in the pool that I found it hard to resolve how much different, and how much SLOWER open water is. A mile in the pool? 1:22 100's. Open water? 1:40's are really fast. So yeah, the watch is helpful in making sure I don't underestimate what I'm doing.

Very Active Member

I couldn't help but laugh as I swam in Comox Lake about 2 hours ago. It got windy, and the water was very choppy, with a significant current. I swim along a shoreline, out and back. Going out, I was hardly moving. Coming back, I was flying. I believe that "100m" out was really about 75m ground-distance, while "100m" back was maybe 125m ground-distance. But hey, water-distance is what matters, and I enjoyed a 1200m ish session. This was my 5th lake session over the last 7 days. It is so good to be doing this again.

I appreciate the advice above, regarding technology.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

Very Active Member

I couldn't help but laugh as I swam in Comox Lake about 2 hours ago. It got windy, and the water was very choppy, with a significant current. I swim along a shoreline, out and back. Going out, I was hardly moving. Coming back, I was flying. I believe that "100m" out was really about 75m ground-distance, while "100m" back was maybe 125m ground-distance. But hey, water-distance is what matters, and I enjoyed a 1200m ish session. This was my 5th lake session over the last 7 days. It is so good to be doing this again.

I appreciate the advice above, regarding technology.
    Current is a funny thing. Did a there and back, 2600 yards. Pace there was about 2:40-2:45 per 100. Back was 1:05-1:10.

Very Active Member

I rented a car to go visit my father . I'm in Pittsburgh, He's in Arlington, VA. I should be able to find a lake in the mountains. Yay! I'll report how it goes.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Current is a funny thing. Did a there and back, 2600 yards. Pace there was about 2:40-2:45 per 100. Back was 1:05-1:10.
    I bet your "water speed" was 1:52-1:57.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

That reminds me... I wonder how many Endless Pools have been sold since March 13th compared to the same period last year? I'm sure business is booming!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoung View Post
    I rented a car to go visit my father . I'm in Pittsburgh, He's in Arlington, VA. I should be able to find a lake in the mountains. Yay! I'll report how it goes.
    Good luck ... maybe you can swim in Big Pool, Maryland - http://www.riverexplorer.com/details.php?id=830?

That is almost exactly my scenario. Since i don't have a pace clock, I have used a Timex Ironman to help with intervals, and a lap counter (finger attached thing). That's it. But when I had to switch to open water, and started thinking about a 10K in September, I thought it might be wise to eliminate any guessing. I'm so ingrained with what I do in the pool that I found it hard to resolve how much different, and how much SLOWER open water is. A mile in the pool? 1:22 100's. Open water? 1:40's are really fast. So yeah, the watch is helpful in making sure I don't underestimate what I'm doing.
    Skuj

I know you described yourself as luddite, but I just want to offer a few other suggestions for measuring your swim distances. As a devoted open water swimmer I've used them all from time to time. If you're swimming along shoreline, and there's a road running parallel to it...you can drive between the corresponding land references to measure it on the car's odometer (or use a bicycle with an odometer). If the beach permits...you can walk the measurement along the beach with a distance measuring app on your cell phone. Or, you could use the online pedometer at this link --
    https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/ and 'click' off your course before/after your swim. It's really meant for runners and bicyclists as it will automatically route you from point A to point B via roads. Obviously that doesn't work on the water. So, click on CONTROLS -> ROUTING TYPE -> and select "Manual." That will allow you to measure your straight line swimming course. Lastly, if you do have a GPS watch but don't like it on your wrist as you swim...I have strapped my watch on my head so that the watch sits just at the crown of my head for constant GPS satellite view...then put my cap on over it. OR...if you're towing an inflatable safety buoy like many open water swimmers do (https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/the-ish...y-23x10-38639/) you can strap the watch to the top of the buoy. That's what I do because my GPS watch is designed for runners and doesn't work in the open water. Many of those buoys come with a dry compartment, and some swimmers carry their cell phone in it and run a distance measuring app while they swim. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dan

Very Active Member

I bet your "water speed" was 1:52-1:57.
    Max was 0:48, average was 2:01, average moving speed was 1:54. Normally it is closer to 1:40-1:45.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

That reminds me... I wonder how many Endless Pools have been sold since March 13th compared to the same period last year? I'm sure business is booming!
    There's a company that rents pools by the hour - $65. From the picture, it looks like I could do 3 strokes before I hit the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    There's a company that rents pools by the hour - $65. From the picture, it looks like I could do 3 strokes before I hit the wall.
    I opened our home pool about a month early this year. It doesn't have an Endless Pool device, but I was doing some tethered swims (with wetsuit on) with the tether I got from SwimOutlet. The elastic bungee cord tether costs about $15 +/- and works just as good. I can judge my stroke intensity...how hard I'm pulling on the bungee...by what object on the pool deck I'm next to.

Dan

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    Skuj

I know you described yourself as luddite, but I just want to offer a few other suggestions for measuring your swim distances. As a devoted open water swimmer I've used them all from time to time. If you're swimming along shoreline, and there's a road running parallel to it...you can drive between the corresponding land references to measure it on the car's odometer (or use a bicycle with an odometer). If the beach permits...you can walk the measurement along the beach with a distance measuring app on your cell phone. Or, you could use the online pedometer at this link --
    https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/ and 'click' off your course before/after your swim. It's really meant for runners and bicyclists as it will automatically route you from point A to point B via roads. Obviously that doesn't work on the water. So, click on CONTROLS -> ROUTING TYPE -> and select "Manual." That will allow you to measure your straight line swimming course. Lastly, if you do have a GPS watch but don't like it on your wrist as you swim...I have strapped my watch on my head so that the watch sits just at the crown of my head for constant GPS satellite view...then put my cap on over it. OR...if you're towing an inflatable safety buoy like many open water swimmers do (https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/the-ish...y-23x10-38639/) you can strap the watch to the top of the buoy. That's what I do because my GPS watch is designed for runners and doesn't work in the open water. Many of those buoys come with a dry compartment, and some swimmers carry their cell phone in it and run a distance measuring app while they swim. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dan
    Thanks Dan! Indeed, I have located my swim area on Google Maps Pedometer, and I confirmed that I basically go back and forth in a 200m line. My 34 breaths thing for 100m is actually confirmed to be about 100m, if the wind/waves are not a factor. I keep to a certain (shallow) depth, which keeps me on the line that I wish to swim. Its a beautiful thing.

This morning I did 400m-200m-100m-50m-50m warmup, 400m push, 400m cooldown in the lake. My first 1600m session!!
    Last edited by Skuj; July 4th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Back in the water Friday after a 10 day hiatus caused by attending a closing where someone subsequently tested positive for Covus-19. It took me 2 days to get a test and 8 days to get the results back. On the bright side, I required everyone to wear masks and use hand sanitizer and nobody else at the closing contracted the virus.

Saturday, we had our July 4th workout with a 5,000 meter workout.

Back to regular 3k workout today. I'm a little sore, but it is so nice to have a place to swim and a coach and lane lines and chlorine and goggles and paddles and water.

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

The gym where I do dry land workout will open next Mon. I'm not sure of going on the 1st week of opening. I'l wait and see if others tell me of the workings of social distance are useful or not.

Very Active Member

Good luck ... maybe you can swim in Big Pool, Maryland - http://www.riverexplorer.com/details.php?id=830?
    Thanks!I swam in Shawnee Lake, near Bedford PA - opnce going and once coming back.. The water was wet and it was extremely gratifying. **** I meant to stop in Hancock, MD and find out about swimming holes in the Potomac, but was pushed for time. I've Ridden my bike on the C&O trail from Pgh to DC. It's good to know Big Pool has swimming. Most of the C&O that still has water in it is not suitable. I'll be sure to give it a shot sometime.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast