Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

  1. #21
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    66

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    How very sad! So sorry! I am glad you were able to FaceTime him. I'm sure you will think fondly of your Dad every time you touch a touchpad!!

  2. #22
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    4,665

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    I am so sorry for your loss.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

  3. #23
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Kurt Dickson, how's it going in the emergency room at your hospital in Arizona?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  4. #24
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    From The Week:

    29 states, territories post rising coronavirus infection rates

    Nine states reported record coronavirus infection rates on Monday, with 29 states and U.S. territories posting an increase in their rolling average of new cases. The number of new cases nationally returned to 30,000 per day last weekend after hovering around 20,000 daily new cases for weeks. The White House last week said the number of new infections was stabilizing, and it has attributed local spikes to increased testing, although as testing has increased so has the rate of tests coming back positive. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said the rising infection rates were "unacceptable," but that new lockdowns should be viewed as a last resort. As of early Tuesday, the U.S. had recorded more than 2.3 million cases and 120,402 deaths. [The Washington Post, The Hill]
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  5. #25
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    604

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Kurt Dickson, how's it going in the emergency room at your hospital in Arizona?
    Busier than we were, still not normal census. Sick Covid patients never leave or take a long time to get better so hospital is getting full. Most ER doctors are working half or 2/3 time. Some patients sick, mostly not very sick.

    Newsflash: if your momma, your auntie, and your bae have it, you do NOT need to come and be tested cuz you have it too.

    Interesting theory going around as sunbelt states are hit harder right now: Perhaps better to be outside. Sadly 111 outside so I'll stay inside and breathe the same unfiltered air of my son-in-law (and the small village living with me) who is positive after working multiple security shifts on the light-rail trains during all of the "mostly peaceful" protests. Elaine, can I get you to push for a memorial swim named after me where breaststroke is not allowed after I pass? Many thanks. Stay healthy everybody.

  6. #26
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Busier than we were, still not normal census. Sick Covid patients never leave or take a long time to get better so hospital is getting full. Most ER doctors are working half or 2/3 time. Some patients sick, mostly not very sick.

    Newsflash: if your momma, your auntie, and your bae have it, you do NOT need to come and be tested cuz you have it too.

    Interesting theory going around as sunbelt states are hit harder right now: Perhaps better to be outside. Sadly 111 outside so I'll stay inside and breathe the same unfiltered air of my son-in-law (and the small village living with me) who is positive after working multiple security shifts on the light-rail trains during all of the "mostly peaceful" protests. Elaine, can I get you to push for a memorial swim named after me where breaststroke is not allowed after I pass? Many thanks. Stay healthy everybody.
    Yikes, Kurt! It sounds like it will be impossible to avoid the virus passing through your entire tribe! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you all end up asymptomatic. Just keep your masks on in public, so you don't spread it around!

    As for the Kurt Dickson Memorial Swim, I guess that means I'll have to leave out all of the IM's, too, right?
    I'll make sure the snack table is well-stocked with Cheerios and COLD milk, too.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  7. #27
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
    Posts
    163

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Stay safe Kurt... thanks for the update.

  8. #28
    "Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hampshire, il - U S A
    Posts
    7,979

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Here in Illinois,despite the people that don't like our Governor, we are in a mostly downward trend. I hope we can keep it going this way!

  9. #29
    Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berdoo
    Posts
    1,023
    Blog Entries
    23

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    After reading some of the early posts, I have to agree that Paul Windrath's option #2 was the one to use. We have misled and lied to for almost 4 months and are being used like sheep, herded around to the places that are approved as long as we wear useless face masks.

    Some of the earliest advice is still the best. Wash your hands frequently. Stay away from sick people and stay home if you are sick (or see a doc if you have two or more of the symptoms). Keep old people safe and isolated if they have pulmonary problems or other issues that attract the virus.

    For what it is worth, those of you who have a CCW permit should know that it is a class 4 felony to wear a mask while carrying. Just to be safe, I do not wear a mask at all.

    All you vrtue signalers and shamers out there: save your breath, I am not killing anyone by not wearing a mask and you are not saving any lives by wearing one.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

  10. #30
    Very Active Member gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,649
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Universal masking has been shown to reduce transmission of the virus by up to 80%. And asymptomatic spread is well documented. Until we have a vaccine, masks and social distancing are all that we've got.

  11. #31
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    Universal masking has been shown to reduce transmission of the virus by up to 80%. And asymptomatic spread is well documented. Until we have a vaccine, masks and social distancing are all that we've got.
    Absolutely, Gull. Your FACT, as stated above, is backed up by SCIENCE, rather than ill-conceived opinion. Thank you very much for always posting such important, fact-based statements.

    Isn't it sad that so many people have politicized wearing masks? My sister posted this on her page: There is a photo of a little boy saying, "So, me wearing a bullet-proof backpack to school with metal detectors, armed guards, and routine mass-shooter drills is the "price of freedom" but you wearing a mask in Walmart for 10 minutes is "tyranny"?


    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  12. #32
    Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,446

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    After reading some of the early posts, I have to agree that Paul Windrath's option #2 was the one to use. We have misled and lied to for almost 4 months and are being used like sheep, herded around to the places that are approved as long as we wear useless face masks.

    Some of the earliest advice is still the best. Wash your hands frequently. Stay away from sick people and stay home if you are sick (or see a doc if you have two or more of the symptoms). Keep old people safe and isolated if they have pulmonary problems or other issues that attract the virus.

    For what it is worth, those of you who have a CCW permit should know that it is a class 4 felony to wear a mask while carrying. Just to be safe, I do not wear a mask at all.

    All you vrtue signalers and shamers out there: save your breath, I am not killing anyone by not wearing a mask and you are not saving any lives by wearing one.
    For innumerable reasons, I'm glad I don't ever have to find myself in your company.

  13. #33
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    For innumerable reasons, I'm glad I don't ever have to find myself in your company.

    Agreed. Unfortunately, 'freestyler, there are so many more who think and act exactly the same way as Michael. It's a jungle out there!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  14. #34
    Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berdoo
    Posts
    1,023
    Blog Entries
    23

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Not sure if anyone believes WHO anymore, but this has been reported elsewhere, too. Asymptomatic carriers are highly unlikely to spread infection.

    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/931984

    The virus faithful have a strong following. Fear sells well in the media.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

  15. #35
    Very Active Member gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,649
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    “Editor’s note: Since the publication of this story, the WHO has clarified its statement about asymptomatic spread of SARS-CoV-2, calling it a ‘misunderstanding.’”

  16. #36
    Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,178
    Blog Entries
    1217

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    Not sure if anyone believes WHO anymore, but this has been reported elsewhere, too. Asymptomatic carriers are highly unlikely to spread infection.

    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/931984

    The virus faithful have a strong following. Fear sells well in the media.
    Someone's been hitting the crazy juice a little too hard lately.

    Your statement about WHO has been "clarified," for example here

    https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/...read-covid-19/

    “The WHO created confusion yesterday when it reported that asymptomatic patients rarely spread the disease,” an email from the Harvard Global Health Institute said Tuesday. “All of the best evidence suggests that people without symptoms can and do readily spread SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. In fact, some evidence suggests that people may be most infectious in the days before they become symptomatic — that is, in the presymptomatic phase when they feel well, have no symptoms, but may be shedding substantial amounts of virus.”

    Yes, there is some uncertainty there. What is much more certain is that wearing masks decreases transmission rates. Being precautionary is clearly the responsible thing to do.

    Regarding your comment about CCW and it being a felony to be masked while carrying, that's been debunked in many places. I believe you live in CA? "“Penal Code 25300(a) only applies to those persons who are carrying weapons while masked to hide their identity,” Sheriff Honsal said. “If you are lawfully carrying your weapon while following the guidance from the Public Health Officer, to wear a mask for protection against COVD-19, then you are not in violation."

    https://humboldtgov.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2734

    And honestly, if you have to choose one or the other (gun or mask) to take with you to the grocery store, it should be pretty obvious to most which is the least-risky choice.

    Paul Windrath's "option #2" is intriguing, though I disagree with it personally. Sweden has been castigated a bit for its choices, but I read an article (can't find it now) where the author -- a Swedish health official -- made a good point: you won't be able to accurately evaluate their choice (or anyone else's) until after everything is said and done. Sweden made the choice to sacrifice their elderly and high-risk sub-populations for the sake of capitalism and convenience, but here's the thing: they were still careful not to overwhelm the capacity of their hospitals. I don't think we could do the same, and that would lead to (IMO) truly horrific scenarios. Even now we are overrunning our "rapid testing" capacity in many places, which is not good.

    Kurt's admonition about when to get tested is a good one. (You can usually quickly get a professional's advice on this.) Also praiseworthy is his desire for a breaststroke-free meet, but I digress...

  17. #37
    Very Active Member gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,649
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    This from the New England Journal of Medicine:

    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2009758

    Wear your damn mask.
    Last edited by gull; July 1st, 2020 at 07:54 AM.

  18. #38
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,775

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    This from the New England Journal of Medicine:

    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejme2009758

    Wear your damn mask.
    Well said, Gull! How many lives could have been saved if Americans had USED COMMON SENSE and worn a mask in public where they were not able to physically distance themselves from others? What part of the "50%-80% effective in preventing contracting COVID-19" (depending on how the mask is made and how it fits) is so hard to understand and accept?

    It's a hell of a lot more convenient to wear a mask than end up in a hospital, which more and more young and (previously) healthy people are doing!

    Michael, if you aren't going to think about your own health, think about the health of everyone you live with, come in regular contact with, etc. Think about your local hospital and how overwhelmed, stressed, and worn out the staff is there by now. It's not all about you. The last thing you should be thinking about is the vanity of our president and the choice he makes about wearing masks because of it...
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  19. #39
    Very Active Member gull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2,649
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    To be clear, my posts are not directed at any one individual. But as a physician who Is also a member of an organization (USMS) dedicated to promoting fitness and a healthy lifestyle, I believe I have an obligation to address dangerous misinformation posted on a public forum such as this.

  20. #40
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Springwater, Ontario
    Posts
    2,906
    Blog Entries
    2019

    Re: Coronavirus/Covid19 discussions.

    Let's lighten things up by taking statements out of context
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Someone's been hitting the crazy juice a little too hard lately...Kurt's ...desire for a breaststroke-free meet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-20 Dog Face Mask closeup.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	12488  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nationals and Coronavirus.
    By Allen Stark in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: April 7th, 2020, 04:25 PM
  2. Do we need a NON SWIMMING DISCUSSIONS ?
    By orca1946 in forum Illinois
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •