Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums are back, spread the word

Forums are back, spread the word

When the forums went down there was no word about it on the USMS main page. They are back and they are similarly not announced. Since you can't go to the forums to find why they are down when they are down, I request USMS post that on the homepage and also post when they are up and running.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Re: Forums are back, spread the word

You didn't get the email yesterday? Here is what I received (from USMS):

This past week we experienced technical issues with the server that hosts the USMS Discussion Forums, that shut down access. Over the past few days our development team worked diligently to pull backup files into a new server environment. You are now once again able to access, view and post in the forums. Our new server environment should prevent these types of technical issues from happening again.

Please note:

Although posting of documents is working the upload and posting of image files may be problematic.
    Previously uploaded files and images may no longer appear.

We are working to retrieve the previous files and images as well as finding a solution to the uploading of images. We appreciate those who reported the issue and for your patience as we worked to get the forums working.

Please contact Volunteer Services if you’re experiencing functionality that is not working as intended.
    Your Friends in USMS Volunteer Services
    volunteer@usmastersswimming.org | 941-256-USMS (8767)
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

Wow. I only got one reply when I repeatedly asked what was up and it was a canned answer that referred to me twice as "Jack" even though my name was clearly on the initial email I sent.

I must not have enough street cred to be "in the know."

I don't blame anyone for the site going down. I do think it should have had an explanation posted on the homepage.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I don't blame anyone for the site going down. I do think it should have had an explanation posted on the homepage.
    100% agree.

Blog Entries

I just want to know what level of 'frequent flyer' status Tim has that the rest of us don't so that USMS reached out to him and not the rest of us .

Honestly, this lack of support for the Forums continues to be my only, but a BIG frustration with USMS. It's not like all of these great discussions have migrated over to another platform like Facebook ... they've disappeared and taken away a huge forum (pardon the pun) for member engagement and member value.

I just don't understand why USMS leadership ... especially in this time ... doesn't want to be actively marketing this great way for their members to stay engaged, stay connected.

I can't imagine keeping the forums going costs a lot of money. And, judging by the low volume of output by USMS and low member engagement on either the USMS Instagram account or Facebook page, I hypothesize two things:
    1) Member engagement on the Forums is not that far behind those two big platforms ... even with the Forums effectively hidden
    2) USMS doesn't actually have either a social media or a member engagement strategy

Where's the headscratching emoticon when I need it?

I'm 71so maybe I'm not who USMS is tryingto please any more, but USMS is making me feel left out. This forum attracts people from all over the world and practically all ages. It has been the best way to get interactive information about swimming. Where else can someone post a video of their strokes and get free expert feedback? I don't go on Facebook for practical reasons and because I disapprove of their policies. I just found out USMS has an Instagram site, and I have now been on Instagram once. Why was the celebration of the cancelled Nationals done on Instagram instead of here, or at least announced here. If we are supposed to use Instagram, why isn't that prominent on the Homepage? After all that, my biggest complaint is that the"discussion forums" link is way down at the bottom of the homepage. "Back in the day" the link was at the top of the page. When it was at the top of the page it was much more used. Forums seem to me to be a cheap, effective marketing tool, but maybe that is just due to my ignorance. I love USMS, but I'm beginning to feel it is unrequited.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I'm 71so maybe I'm not who USMS is tryingto please any more, but USMS is making me feel left out. This forum attracts people from all over the world and practically all ages. It has been the best way to get interactive information about swimming. Where else can someone post a video of their strokes and get free expert feedback? I don't go on Facebook for practical reasons and because I disapprove of their policies. I just found out USMS has an Instagram site, and I have now been on Instagram once. Why was the celebration of the cancelled Nationals done on Instagram instead of here, or at least announced here. If we are supposed to use Instagram, why isn't that prominent on the Homepage? After all that, my biggest complaint is that the"discussion forums" link is way down at the bottom of the homepage. "Back in the day" the link was at the top of the page. When it was at the top of the page it was much more used. Forums seem to me to be a cheap, effective marketing tool, but maybe that is just due to my ignorance. I love USMS, but I'm beginning to feel it is unrequited.
    I'm half your age and feel exactly the same way.

Very Active Member

I totally agree with you both about the forums. I've found that ever since Rob Butcher, Tracy Grilli, and Jim Matysek left the National office things have gone down hill...

Very Active Member

I just assumed that everyone had quit.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2020 goal: Break at least one of the above pre-covid PRs!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    I just assumed that everyone had quit.
    I’ve always considered myself to be too legit to quit.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I never received that e-mail, either.

Allen, pwb, and mpmartin: I completely agree with you!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Here is another question, why are the emojis small now?
    Allen

So,what happened?
    Allen

It seems back in regular format now. Can we get an update about what's happening?
    Allen

Blog Entries

I'm on 2 USMS national committees, and we use the forums for the committees, so perhaps that email was directed to me in that capacity? It didn't say anything about committees, so I thought everyone got it.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S View Post
    Wow. I only got one reply when I repeatedly asked what was up and it was a canned answer that referred to me twice as "Jack" even though my name was clearly on the initial email I sent.

I must not have enough street cred to be "in the know."
    Hey Jack,

The forums are up and operating again, but names of users have been anonymized in order to confuse the COVID-19 virus. If you are healthy, it must be working.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

WOW! The "format" I tried a few days ago was a real challenge to navigate. I'm glad it's back to something I can easily use.
    As a Stay at home" survivor, I rely on this as way to see the positive future for us.

Very Active Member

Sorry about the forums outage last week and any impact it had your ability to communicate with others that take part in the USMS forums. The email shared by aztimm in this thread provides the background. That email was shared with USMS national committee volunteers because they make up the majority of forums usage.

As I have noted previously in communications from the national office, forums usage beyond USMS Committees is in the hundreds, less than 1% of USMS total membership. Given the usage, an email to the full membership or a posting on the USMS homepage wouldn't have been information that wasn't relevant to most members or to those that visit the site that aren't members.

Unfortunately due to the outdated technology of the current forums, we don't have a great way to pull contact info for those of you that aren't active users into our email communication systems. And posting on the forums isn't a great way to let folks know they are back up and running because if they are seeing the post - they are already in.

That said, we are mere months away from transitioning the forums to a new platform - the USMS online community, fully integrated with our membership and email systems with single sign on login, using the same email and password that is used to login to My USMS. There will be significantly improved and modernized functionality with new features that will be promoted more broadly once tested and launched. This upgrade will be substantial and will also ensure we don't see the type of outage or the length if one does occur in the future.

I appreciate your patience. The timing of the outage was challenging given the myriad of issues we are working through to support our members, coaches, clubs and events during the COVID-19 crisis.

Stay tuned for more on the new USMS online community.

Thanks for your continued membership and input.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Thank you, I look forward to the new system. i agree forum usage is low, but it wasn't always this low. What was the usage when the link was at the top of the homescreen?
    Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast