Thread: Shoulder Impingement

Participating Member

Shoulder Impingement

Looking for some of your experience with shoulder injuries. I am 26 year old male and have swam masters for years, and injured my shoulder about 5 months ago while training vigorously for the 200 IM and 200 free. I developed it from backstroke because i was not rotating body enough and over strained left shoulder.

MRI showed impingement and tendonitus, did 8 weeks of PT religiously, but still have issues and cannot swim without residual pain. I definitely cannot compete anymore and haven't swam but a couple times this year.

Doctor says he can scope it and clean the bursitus out. I think he's offering arthroscopic decompression. Anyone have any experience with roughing it through shoulder injuries or anyone have any shoulder surgeries? Were they successful?

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Re: Shoulder Impingement

Quote Originally Posted by LegendJeff View Post
    Looking for some of your experience with shoulder injuries. I am 26 year old male and have swam masters for years, and injured my shoulder about 5 months ago while training vigorously for the 200 IM and 200 free. I developed it from backstroke because i was not rotating body enough and over strained left shoulder.

MRI showed impingement and tendonitus, did 8 weeks of PT religiously, but still have issues and cannot swim without residual pain. I definitely cannot compete anymore and haven't swam but a couple times this year.

Doctor says he can scope it and clean the bursitus out. I think he's offering arthroscopic decompression. Anyone have any experience with roughing it through shoulder injuries or anyone have any shoulder surgeries? Were they successful?
    I'm not sure that we had the same injury but the procedure that was offered to me was a subacromial decompression. The doc wasn't wild about doing it but said if I was insistent, he would oblige. I wound up sticking with PT and it eventually resolved. This occurred back in 2004 or 2005 so my memory of the specific course of recovery is cloudy, though I seem to recall that I could swim in a limited fashion after 2 to 3 months and it took more than 6 months for me to really be pain-free and not having to baby the shoulder. I will say that my injury seemed to heal more quickly when I stopped taking Ibuprofen, and there is some science behind that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LegendJeff View Post

in the meantime I’d invest in a snorkel and fins and hit that hands-at-side (H.A.S.) kick hard. It’s what I do when I need to give my shoulders a break. You can definitely still train while rehabbing and letting your shoulder(s) rest.

Very Active Member

ive had it
    had 2 surgeries

had the end of the glanus clipped off (part of 2nd surgery) to help prevent more impingment.

honestly it all depends on the level of impingment on what all to do/have done.

let me tell you right now jeff, shoulder surgery hellasucks
    there is no gap (like in your knee...ive had 2 surgeries there too)
    it all goes through a muscle.
    when they are done you have 3 holes bigger than what most people talk about in rotator cuff tears
    if its your primary arm....oh it sucks even more.
    that said, waking up with no pain is nice.

steve

Very Active Member

Breathe to your non-breathing side. Then transition to alternate breathing. A snorkel is OK in the short term, but it will mess up your body rotation, hence your stroke efficiency. I’ve had this more than once. Injections work to calm down the inflammation so you can stay in the pool, but you need the above strategies to take the pressure off of the joint. Good luck!

Participating Member

Thanks for everyone's input. It has been improving and I will get back slowly and cautiously not to aggravate.
    Thank sunruh for leveling with me on the surgery being quite brutal. Ill just stick to my rotator cuff PT drills.