Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Zone Name Change

Very Active Member

Dixie Zone Name Change

This forum is reserved for the discussion of a possible name change for the Dixie Zone.
    Given the current environment in our country; it has been suggested that the name "Dixie" is out dated and inappropriate for these times.
    A proposal has been put forth by one of the Dixie Zone LMSC's calling for a discussion about changing the Zone name.
    This issue has been escalated to the USMS Diversity Committee for review.
    Many of you have probably received the email from USMS President Peter Guadagni stating:

The question the Board and eventually LMSC Development Committee and the House of Delegates will consider is whether the name ‘Dixie’ creates a barrier and prevents USMS from being the type of inclusive community we seek to be.

We, as a zone should get in front of this discussion and be a part of it.
    Please use this forum to indicate your preferences:
    1) Should the name "Dixie Zone" be changed?
    2) Possible alternative names the Zone?

Ed Saltzman
    Dixie Zone Chair

Participating Member Conner Bailey's Avatar

Re: Dixie Zone Name Change

Thank you, Ed. I support this change. I have been a USMS member over 30 years. I grew up in California but both of my parents are from the South and I have deep southern roots and family members who fought for the Confederacy.

I have been on the faculty as a rural sociologist at Auburn University since 1985. My professional work in the rural South has impressed upon me the importance of words and symbols that welcome or do not. For those of you who honor the sacrifices made by southerners during the Civil War, I respect and share your views. The point of the proposed name change is not inspired by a desire to forget the past but by a simple desire to extend a welcome to all who want to joint USMS. The word "Dixie" is associated with sentiments that are perceived as hostile by African Americans. The word Dixie carries the same weight as the Confederate battle flag, recently banned by NASCAR. Are we less open to encouraging diversity than NASCAR?

We live in a region where a high proportion of our population are African Afmerican (Alabama 25%, Louisiana and Mississippi 33%, Georgia 32%, South Carolina 27%, North Carolina 22%, Tennessee and Florida 17%). Our membership does not come anywhere near these figures. (I do wish USMS would collect data on race/ethnicity on membership.)

Yes, there are historical reasons why African Americans are underrepresented in our sport. The point is that we are trying to break away from this part of our history, to extend a welcoming hand and heart. The term Dixie simply carries a burden that does not help us be a more inclusive sport. For all who hold the word "Dixie" dear to your heart, do so. But please consider how it might be perceived by others as a symbol of an unpleasant past.

Conner Bailey
    Auburn Master Swimmners

Participating Member

The zone includes Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. So maybe something common to these states:

-- Hurricane Zone
    -- Magnolia Zone

Anna Lea Matysek

Last edited by KUJayhawk; June 15th, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Very Active Member

I could not find better words than Conner for this.
    While I am far away from having Southern routes, I support a name change to ensure USMS is welcoming to and inclusive of everyone. This is an easy change to make.

A few ideas I had for a new name:
    - hurricane zone (I see a trend here)
    - sunshine zone
    - citrus zone

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I absolutely agree with most of what Conner Bailey said above; he stated it perfectly. I would like to add, however, that Connor wasn't entirely correct when he stated that, "The word "Dixie" is associated with sentiments that are perceived as hostile by African Americans." The word "Dixie" is also perceived as hostile by me, and I am white. Dixie is synonymous with slavery, and it is also synonymous with the Confederates who were traitors.

To be honest, I was appalled when I moved here and joined USMS, and learned that the name of our zone was called, "Dixie Zone." My first question to my husband was, "Why don't they call it the "Southeast Zone" instead? If I found (and still find) the word "Dixie" offensive, I can only imagine how it must feel for other members (ar potential members) of USMS who are ashamed of what the Confederates fought for in the Civil War.

Regarding options for a new name,
    in addition to "Southeast Zone," I really like Anna Lea's and Britta's ideas!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Ed,

When the topic was brought up last Sunday in our Georgia Masters meeting, I sat back and thought of my son Brandon. When we had our meeting and the name change was brought up, I decided to ask 3 people, whom I respect with what the they thought of when they Heard the word "Dixie". One was my oldest friend of now almost 50 years whom I grew up in Chicago and still lives there. The 2nd was a woman whom I teach with now. Almost 50, born, raised, educated in the Cobb County School system. I teach with her in my school. I asked them both to respond to one word..."Dixie" and what did that word bring to mind. They both had very similar comments. The Confederacy and the Confederate Flag.

The 3rd person I asked. Sadly, I wish I had done him better and spoken sooner. My son Brandon is 21 and he is a black man. I asked what he thought and he had a very short response...."call it the Southern Zone Dad". I can't add to that

The goal of our or any sport is to be inclusive, supportive, and non-judgmental. We strive to be an accepting group but when you have been subjected to a life of discrimination, hostility, or profiling...how can we ask Black Americans to be a part organization that accepts all when the name of our group has not always been that way. I echo Connor...a unpleasant symbol and term of the past and as Brandon's father...has to go

Mark L. Rogers

Participating Member

For reference, here are the current names of the eight zones:
    -- Breadbasket Zone
    -- Dixie Zone
    -- Northwest Zone
    -- South Central Zone
    -- Colonies Zone
    -- Great Lakes Zone
    -- Oceana Zone
    -- Southwest Zone

My suggestion of Southeast Zone fits in and is practical, but boring. I'm liking your Hurricane Zone or Britta's Sunshine Zone even more! The only thing about Hurricane Zone is that people might associate it with the Miami Hurricanes, which might not be appreciated by all the Dawg and Tigers fans!

How can you go wrong with Sunshine Zone? It's cheery and positive for everybody!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I do like Southeast Zone as well. However, we would also have to change the name of the Southeastern LMSC then. In order to avoid that, I have stayed away from any name proposals that are already taken by LMSCs.

and GO CANES!

Participating Member

The below correspondence is from USMS President Peter Guadagni to current Dixie Zone Chair Ed Saltzman:

Peter Guadagni
    Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 1:38 AM
    To: swimsalt@___
    Subject: New name for Dixie Zone

Ed:

The Board voted to recommend the name of the Dixie Zone be changed during its regular Board meeting tonight. The plan is to approve the formal proposal for submission to the LMSC Development Committee at the summer Board meeting on July 11. The Board would like to give the Dixie Zone the opportunity to choose a new name.

Ultimately, the House of Delegates will determine whether the name should be changed. Even if the Zone would prefer the name not be changed, I think it would be a good idea for the Zone to select an alternative name. My preference is that the new name be geographical in nature to avoid confusion and contention. If the Zone selects a name being used by a current LMSC (i.e. Southeastern), it would be helpful if a new name could be suggested for the LMSC. You might want to follow the example used in the Northwest, where there is a Northwest Zone and an Inland Northwest LMSC. The choice, however, is yours.

It would be very helpful if you could get a recommendation for a new Zone name and possibly a new LMSC name to me by July 6. This would enable me to include it in our Board meeting materials.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks you for your service,
    Peter Guadagni
    President | U.S. Masters Swimming

To make things as easy as possible so only the zone name, web site, and other details have to be changed and a burden is not placed on LMSCs within the zone, I suggest that the names Southern and Southeastern NOT be used in order to save those LMSCs the burden of also making lots of changes.

And also the state of Mississippi.

To make the name change as painless as possible for everyone, I think we should not use SOUTHERN or SOUTHEASTERN so those two LMSCs in the zone don't have to make lots of changes too.

Dick Brewer

Thank you, Anna Lea, for posting this! And, thank you to Peter and the USMS Board of Directors for doing the right thing. This is great news!

Britta, you bring up a good point, now that I have read Peter's letter. "Southeast" is probably too similar to "Southeastern" to meet the guidelines.

Since the deadline is July 6, our next Georgia Masters conference call is cutting it close for discussing any new name ideas. Perhaps an e-mail to the rest of the board should go out about Peter's letter?

Participating Member

I like the idea of renaming the Dixie Zone to something other than a direction. Hurricane Zone or Sunshine Zone sounds good to me.

Meegan

Very Active Member

First, my thoughts on this topic-The term 'Dixie' is a geographical one, referring to the area below the Mason-Dixon line, which was created in the mid-1760s, prior to the Revolutionary War. For those that want a name change for our zone because it reminds them of the Confederacy- then you should also want a name change for the Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina LMSCs, since they were all states of the Confederacy. Certainly, the Colony Zone should be renamed, since so many of those who fought in the Revolutionary War were slaveowners, including George Washington.That being said, I appreciate Conner Bailey's comments about this topic. I admit that it is a very personal one for me, because I am a descendant of Confederate soldiers, and I am proud of my heritage. My ancestors fought bravely in the War between the States. They were not fighting for slavery- the vast majority of soldiers were not slaveowners, just poor farmers. They were fighting for states' rights, and against the huge tariffs being imposed on exported crops by the federal government. My father was a battlefield re-enactor: my oldest brother and I spent most of our childhood accompanying him to the various battlefields throughout the South. I do take offense to comments that all Confederates were traitors- their land was invaded and plundered, and they were defending their land and their families. Those accusations are unwarranted and not right.I certainly consider our organization to be an inclusive one. I am sorry for the negative connotation that this term seems to have. Since it does appear that most are in favor of a name change, my proposal would be:Southern Atlantic or South Atlantic- sort of like Southern Pacific is for the West Coast?I like the other suggestions as well, but do think it should be a geographic term (much as I like Hurricane and Sunshine!).Respectfully,Lisa Watson Georgia LMSC

Louisiana and Mississippi are not on the Atlantic; they're on the Gulf. Tennessee isn't located on either one.

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

With the sheer geographic area encompassed in our overall area, no one designation appears perfect. How about the Southeatern Atlantic & Gulf Zone. Includes The Carolina's, Georgia, and Florida's Atlantic Geography. Tennessee being apart of the Southeast and Bama, The Pan Handle, Mississippi, and Louisiana being Gulf of Mexico States. Just my thoughts

Mark
    Last edited by coachr; June 16th, 2020 at 11:08 PM.

Participating Member

Per Ed Saltzman, Dixie Zone Chair:

Here are the names that have been suggested so far:

Southern Zone (Southern – Currently the LMSC name for LA & MS)
    Southeastern Zone (Southeastern – Currently the LMSC name for
    Alabama, Tennessee, and the Florida Panhandle)
    Sunbelt Zone (Wikipedia definition – the area south of the
    36th parallel - includes the states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee) Hurricane Zone
    Magnolia Zone

Sunshine Zone
    Citrus Zone
    Southern Atlantic Zone
    South Atlantic Zone
    Southeastern Atlantic & Gulf Zone
    Southern Coastal Zone
    Coastal Zone
    Tropical Zone
    Suncoast Zone
    Gulf Coast Zone
    Beachfront Zone

Very Active Member

Since we have email participants and forum participants I'm going to post a copy of today's Zone newsletter, that I just sent out via mailchimp, so that everyone is getting the same information:
    Dixie Zone Newsletter
    June 17, 2020

To all the LMSC Leaders in the Dixie Zone
    UPDATE
    A lot of good Discussion Going On

There has been a lot of good discussion going on and several names have been thrown out there via Forum Post and emails.

Just to summarize where we are so everyone can stay current:

• USMS BOD recommending a name change
    • Formal proposal to be approved at the July 11th BOD and submitted to the LMSC Development Committee.
    • Next it will go to the USMS HOD at the virtual convention for a vote.
    • We have till July 6th to submit our preference for a new Zone name.

Here are the names that have been suggested so far:

Southern Zone (Southern – Currently the LMSC name for LA & MS)
    Southeastern Zone (Southeastern – Currently the LMSC name for
    Alabama, Tennessee, and the Florida Panhandle)
    Sunbelt Zone (Wikipedia definition – the area south of the 36th parallel - includes the states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee)
    Hurricane Zone
    Magnolia Zone

Sunshine Zone
    Citrus Zone
    Southern Atlantic Zone
    South Atlantic Zone
    Southeastern Atlantic & Gulf Zone
    Southern Coastal Zone
    Coastal Zone
    Tropical Zone
    Suncoast Zone
    Gulf Coast Zone
    Beachfront Zone

Important things to keep in mind when picking a new name
    Impact, Financial Ramifications, Recognition

If we choose to take one of the names currently being used by an LMSC, the financial impact of a name change on an LMSC is pretty far reaching. From new articles of incorporation/by-laws, to checks, new bank accounts, new website name, new domain name, etc.

The impact on the Zone is a lot less drastic – we don’t have a bank account; we therefore don’t have any checks to change. We are not incorporated; we don’t file any tax returns; we don’t have a line of clothing or T-shirts. We recently depleted our supply of Dixie Zone Top Ten patches (by the way – post name change your Dixie Zone Top Ten patches will become relics/collectibles, and therefore more valuable).
    Our Zone championships have been awarded via a bid process and run by individual clubs or teams and therefore we have no stock pile of ribbons or awards with the Dixie Zone name on them. The basic impact on us would be the Domain Name change for our website.

It is probably best that we minimize costs, time, effort, etc. and not use an LMSC name for the zone.

That leaves us with looking for a name that captures the essence of who we are and reflects our geographic diversity. If we were a corporation we would spend a million dollars on a PR firm to help us develop a name. But, since we don’t have a million dollars (or any checks or budget to cover it) we are heavily dependent on the imagination and creativity of our members. Please spread the word amoungst your LMSC members -crowd source this issue and let’s get as many people involved as we can. I know we have creative people out there. I may have an old, valuable, collectible, Dixie Zone Top Ten patch we can give away as a prize for the winning name.

Ed Saltzman
    “Name to be determined” Zone Chair

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Name.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	12479  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast