Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Zone Name Change

Re: Dixie Zone Name Change

I agree with you Lisa, that the Colonies should also change their name for similar reasons everyone has stated. While some of the names are clever, this is simply naming a "zone" which is hardly ever used (sorry Ed). Hurricane zone if you think about it, is not a positive name especially the damage a hurricane can cause. I suggest we stick to a regional-type name and I think Southeast Atlantic & Gulf Zone covers our zone. My suggestion was Southeastern Zone, but since there's an LMSC with that name which is odd for the 3 areas it covers (more Gulf than Southeast), it will cost them to have to change the name. Thank you, Cheryl

Participating Member

Hi Ed....
    I hadn't thought about the financial implications of using a name that an LMSC already has. I agree that if we do end up changing the zone name (and I am a supporter of that decision), we should avoid unnecessary costs if possible.

I also think if we can keep the name to a single word, or possibly hyphenate, that would be best....just from the perspective of creating communication materials..

I'd be ok with any of the options presented so far.......but, I also thought that jumping off of the
    Southeastern Atlantic & Gulf Coast option.....
    maybe another version of that might be:

Atlantic Gulf
    or
    Gulf Atlantic

We still have the Tennessee folks who aren't as strongly attached to either one of those bodies of water....but, maybe it can be added to the mix.

At some point, rather than try to reach consensus here, we might want to put together a survey that we can send to all of our members. That way, we can be sure that all members get to participate in the decision - making. I'm sure the zone leadership has ways of doing such a thing, but if not, I'm happy to assist with the creation of such a survey.

We could include an introductory item that summarizes the initiative, and then have a relatively simple one or two items requesting feedback.
    Maybe something along the lines of:

Do you support the name change (yes/no)
    Then, if they say "yes"....
    Which of these names do you prefer? (maybe have them put their top 3 in rank order?)... or we could force a single choice to see those results. There are several options, of course.

Sara
    Membership Coordinator
    Southeastern LMSC

Quote Originally Posted by esaltzman View Post
    Since we have email participants and forum participants I'm going to post a copy of today's Zone newsletter, that I just sent out via mailchimp, so that everyone is getting the same information:
    Dixie Zone Newsletter
    June 17, 2020

To all the LMSC Leaders in the Dixie Zone
    UPDATE
    A lot of good Discussion Going On

There has been a lot of good discussion going on and several names have been thrown out there via Forum Post and emails.

Just to summarize where we are so everyone can stay current:

• USMS BOD recommending a name change
    • Formal proposal to be approved at the July 11th BOD and submitted to the LMSC Development Committee.
    • Next it will go to the USMS HOD at the virtual convention for a vote.
    • We have till July 6th to submit our preference for a new Zone name.

Here are the names that have been suggested so far:

Southern Zone (Southern – Currently the LMSC name for LA & MS)
    Southeastern Zone (Southeastern – Currently the LMSC name for
    Alabama, Tennessee, and the Florida Panhandle)
    Sunbelt Zone (Wikipedia definition – the area south of the 36th parallel - includes the states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee)
    Hurricane Zone
    Magnolia Zone

Sunshine Zone
    Citrus Zone
    Southern Atlantic Zone
    South Atlantic Zone
    Southeastern Atlantic & Gulf Zone
    Southern Coastal Zone
    Coastal Zone
    Tropical Zone
    Suncoast Zone
    Gulf Coast Zone
    Beachfront Zone

Important things to keep in mind when picking a new name
    Impact, Financial Ramifications, Recognition

If we choose to take one of the names currently being used by an LMSC, the financial impact of a name change on an LMSC is pretty far reaching. From new articles of incorporation/by-laws, to checks, new bank accounts, new website name, new domain name, etc.

The impact on the Zone is a lot less drastic – we don’t have a bank account; we therefore don’t have any checks to change. We are not incorporated; we don’t file any tax returns; we don’t have a line of clothing or T-shirts. We recently depleted our supply of Dixie Zone Top Ten patches (by the way – post name change your Dixie Zone Top Ten patches will become relics/collectibles, and therefore more valuable).
    Our Zone championships have been awarded via a bid process and run by individual clubs or teams and therefore we have no stock pile of ribbons or awards with the Dixie Zone name on them. The basic impact on us would be the Domain Name change for our website.

It is probably best that we minimize costs, time, effort, etc. and not use an LMSC name for the zone.

That leaves us with looking for a name that captures the essence of who we are and reflects our geographic diversity. If we were a corporation we would spend a million dollars on a PR firm to help us develop a name. But, since we don’t have a million dollars (or any checks or budget to cover it) we are heavily dependent on the imagination and creativity of our members. Please spread the word amoungst your LMSC members -crowd source this issue and let’s get as many people involved as we can. I know we have creative people out there. I may have an old, valuable, collectible, Dixie Zone Top Ten patch we can give away as a prize for the winning name.

Ed Saltzman
    “Name to be determined” Zone Chair

Very Active Member swimmieAvsFan's Avatar

Folks,

Don't forget there's already a Gulf LMSC in Texas while you're brainstorming...
    https://www.usms.org/lmsc/lmscinfoform.php?LMSCID=25

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KUJayhawk View Post
    Per Ed Saltzman, Dixie Zone Chair:

Here are the names that have been suggested so far:

Sunbelt Zone (Wikipedia definition – the area south of the
    36th parallel - includes the states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee) Hurricane Zone
    Magnolia Zone

Sunshine Zone
    Citrus Zone
    Southern Atlantic Zone
    South Atlantic Zone
    Southeastern Atlantic & Gulf Zone
    Southern Coastal Zone
    Coastal Zone
    Tropical Zone
    Suncoast Zone
    Gulf Coast Zone
    Beachfront Zone
    I had suggested "Southeast Zone." Ed, is that too close to the Southeastern LMSC name for it to pass without changing the LMSC name? There is no way I would advocate for changing an LMSC name, so if it is too close, I withdraw my suggestion!

I agree with Ed that forcing a change to an LMSC name is not a good option. If we do a survey or take any other suggestions, I don't think that option should even be considered.

In addition, the USMS board already voted there WILL be a name change, so asking if it's supported is a mute point as far as the vote goes. (I would, however, be curious how many people support the name change, and how many want it to stay the same.)

It will be hard to come up with a geographical name for our zone that doesn't conflict with the existing LMSC's names-- that is, if you keep in mind that Tennessee isn't on the Gulf, Atlantic, "Coast" or beachfront! That (and the fact that hurricanes aren't exactly a positive thing) is why I like the name "Sunshine Zone." It's positive and cheery; and, it can (technically speaking) apply to every state in our zone. After all, the sun shines in all of them at one time or another!
    Last edited by ElaineK; June 17th, 2020 at 04:40 PM.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

I suggest that the name be kept to one or two words, to remain consistent with all of the other zone names (listed below). And no special characters (such as ampersands).

Anna Lea Matysek

The eight current zone names:
    -- Breadbasket Zone
    -- Dixie Zone
    -- Northwest Zone
    -- South Central Zone
    -- Colonies Zone
    -- Great Lakes Zone
    -- Oceana Zone
    -- Southwest Zone

Participating Member Conner Bailey's Avatar

I think "South East Zone" is sufficiently different from "Southeastern" (my LMSC) to be workable. I was going to propose "Sunbelt" until a teammate reminded me that is the name of a collegiate athletic conference.

Participating Member

I received another suggestion, "South by South East Zone". While it is a direction it has a certain ring to it.
    Meegan

Participating Member

Say what you may my presidente, this topic would not have surfaced (again) had all of these violent unwarranted outbreaks not happened, the anarchic reaction is very fashionable to this era and -I am sure- not supported by all Americans. I'm not referring to racism but yes to political trends best not discussed.

“One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present.”
    ― Golda Meir, My Life

I would much prefer to table this issue for a future time when all the dust has settled and not just be groupie followers to trending self flagellation - let's not emulate flagellants.

I hope the pyramids of Egypt don't get torn down on the similar whim...

P.S. - I truly believe that "just accepting" the change is not the way to go, hey, stand up to mob actions ! Oh, and if the mob does subject me to their firing squad, my last words will be "Viva Magnolia!!"

Regards to ya'll (maybe we'll need to kill that too?)

David

Quote Originally Posted by Conner Bailey View Post
    I think "South East Zone" is sufficiently different from "Southeastern" (my LMSC) to be workable. I was going to propose "Sunbelt" until a teammate reminded me that is the name of a collegiate athletic conference.
    Ed, would either "South East" or "Southeast" work without having to change Conner's LMSC name? If so, either one gets my vote! #2 would be "Sunshine" and #3 would be "Magnolia".

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conner Bailey View Post
    is the name off limits just because there is a Sunbelt conference in the NCAA? Is the name Sunbelt registered?
    Just asking because I do like that name.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Ed, would either "South East" or "Southeast" work without having to change Conner's LMSC name? If so, either one gets my vote! #2 would be "Sunshine" and #3 would be "Magnolia".

Elaine, having worked for USMS (as well as having been the chair of the Registration Committee), I believe that it would be very confusing to name the zone "South East" or "Southeast" and then keep the "Southeastern LMSC" name.

Anna Lea
    Last edited by KUJayhawk; June 19th, 2020 at 09:10 AM.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Britt03 View Post
    is the name off limits just because there is a Sunbelt conference in the NCAA? Is the name Sunbelt registered?
    Just asking because I do like that name.

I just did a Patent & Trademark Search. The term "Sunbelt Conference" was not in the results (neither was "Sunbelt Zone"). There were a lot of others listed that include the word "Sunbelt," including Sunbelt Staffing, Sunbelt Federal Credit Union, Sunbelt Cup, Sunbelt Radiators Inc, Sunbelt Graphics LLC, Sunbelt Organic, Sunbelt Bakery, etc. So I can't imagine that there would be any issue with "Sunbelt Zone."

Anna Lea

Elaine, having worked for USMS (as well as having been the chair of the Registration Committee), I believe that it would be very confusing to name the zone "South East" or "Southeast" and then keep the "Southeastern LMSC" name.

Anna Lea

Thanks for your input, Anna Lea. Now that I have an expert opinion, I'll drop it! Oh well; it was good while it lasted.

Sorry, Connor. I guess our suggestions aren't going to make the cut!

Anna Lea
    I expect most of our members don’t know (or care) what a USMS zone is. As for name confusion, I don’t see any more confusion between South East Zone and Southeastern LMSC then we have with Northwest Zone and Inland Northwest and Pacific Northwest LMSCs. Also, the South East Zone would be somewhat consistent with the other southern USMS zones (South Central and Southwest).

As long as the name we choose isn’t identical to an existing LMSC, I think our members are smart enough to figure it out.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

That makes a lot of sense, Rob, and I agree!

Connor, our suggestions aren't dead yet!

Very Active Member

South East is nice and simple, and accurately describes all of the LMSCs within our zone.Lisa W

Participating Member

Thank you for posting this. I support this change as well!
    I don't care for Hurricane Zone - Seems too negative and since Texas isn't in our zone that seems weird. If Southeast is available I would vote for that. Sunshine or Magnolia would be my 2nd and 3rd option.

Patrick Billingsley
    Head Coach Wellington Swim Club

Very Active Member

For those who prefer to receive their news via the forum - below is the latest Zone Newsletter that went out this morning:

Dixie Zone Newsletter
    June 24, 2020

To all the LMSC Leaders in the Dixie Zone
    UPDATE
    “Move to Call the Question”

We’ve had a lot of great discussion and several names seem to be leading the pack. As we say in the House of Delegates – “It’s Time to Call the Question”.

For those that have not been to convention – that signals and end to the discussion and we move on to the next stage – voting.
    (I know Rob – Mr. Parliamentarian, I probably skipped a few steps in the name of expedience).
    It has been suggested that I send out a survey to all our members. Given that there are currently 7,124 members of the zone and only one of me; I’m going to pass on that idea.

Instead; since we have seven (7) LMSC’s with seven LMSC boards and approximately 77 board members who have been following (hopefully) this discussion; I’m going to throw the ball to them and let them speak for their members.

I would like each LMSC Chair to poll their board and any members they would like to include and send me a list of their first, second, and third choices (or just first if there is an overwhelming consensus amongst your board). We’ll assign points to each position (First = 3, Second = 2, and Third = 1) and the name with the most point wins.

Today is the 24th. How about we set, Monday, June 29th, Midnight as our deadline to get back to me?
    This will give us enough time on the back end to work through any ties, questions, etc. and get Peter his answer before the next USMS board meeting.

Here are the names that have gotten the most discussion to-date:

Sunbelt Zone (Wikipedia definition – the area south of the 36th parallel - includes the states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee)
    Southeast Zone or South East Zone
    Hurricane Zone
    Magnolia Zone

Sunshine Zone

Dick Brewer (Zone Webmaster) has done some research and the following domain names are currently available if we move quickly.
    Other names will be researched as needed. (This is in no way an indorsement for either name – just providing current information on hand).

Southeastzone.org
    Sunbeltzone.org

Ed Saltzman
    “Name to be determined” Zone Chair

Thanks, Ed! Catch ya on Zoom!

Very Active Member

Feel kind of late to the party, but prompted by an e-mail. So quick note.

Local LSC for USA is Southeastern. Zone (of 4) is Southern Zone. Section is ESSZ - Eastern Section of the Southern Zone.

Does "East Southern Zone" sound too weird? Protects the LSC's name, is geographically appropriate.

As for whatever body of water, meh. I live in TN, and don't really care. Of course, I am a fan of ACC (as in Atlantic Coast Conference) schools, and the ACC contains Louisville and Notre Dame......not really exactly schools anywhere near the Atlantic Coast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast