Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who have been swimming in local pools

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Re: For those who have been swimming in local pools

I was hoping when schools started back that many kids/adults would not not going to pools. Well - it seems "remote learning" will be the norm for a while now. Maybe wnen they are at home the gym/pools will be more open and prepared for me to chance it once again.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I was hoping when schools started back that many kids/adults would not not going to pools. Well - it seems "remote learning" will be the norm for a while now. Maybe wnen they are at home the gym/pools will be more open and prepared for me to chance it once again.
    FWIW, in our school district, "remote learning" means real time, active participation with attendance taken. It is NOT a "learn at your pace and schedule" thing. They are online from 8:30AM-3:30PM non-stop. (Of course, they are in teh water from 5-7, and again from 4:30-6:00!)

Very Active Member

orca, did you ever get my PM to you?

Very Active Member

I really don't want to complain, b/c I desperately need to swim and am so unbelievably happy to finally find an outdoor pool! My plan is to at least swim for a month, then stay out of the pool until the vaccine comes out (not too confident about indoor pools). I asked all the appropriate questions about safety precautions before joining the outdoor pool. I was told there was no sharing of lanes except for married folks. (IMO, silly rule, and how do they prove that?)
    They have a temperature stand when you enter, but no one takes your temperature. I've never seen anyone wipe down chairs or other equipment. So far, each day, most people are sharing lanes. I've been asked 2x to share and said that I didn't want to. This guy challenged me and was very rude. If I wasn't so desperate to swim, I'd cancel my membership. I just am not ready to share a lane. I had surgery in March, and recovery was long and difficult, and easing back into the world has been slow. I resent having to defend myself.

Well -- my "back into the pool" timing is off! When cleaning the back trees/forest, I managed to work thru an unknown area of poison Ivy that has me doing visits to the E R and doctor with arms, abdomen & legs into full blister distress for 2 weeks now! All poison ivy/oak does not look like a leaf of 3 and mitten shaped!!!

Very Active Member

Oh, orca, that's terrible, although when i catch poison ivy (not nearly like what you have), the chlorine/salt water dries it up really fast. But I don't blister. Are you taking anything for it?

Prednisone for 2 weeks ,an anti biotic , benadryl tabs 2-3 at night to try to sleep and last night an Ambine to knock my self out --- that did not do it! I am now starting to peal, like really bad sunburn. When this is subsiding , I might try the pool to "scour" my wretched body, altho not the best thought to other swimmers!
    I am liking the feeling to a 1,000 ants and 1,000 flys all attacking my arms, legs and abdomen at the same time ALL DAY & NIGHT!!

Very Active Member

orca, I would imagine those meds might make you sleepy. That sounds unbearable. Feel better soon!

Blog Entries

Or a that’s awful. I had only a few scrapes of it on my legs earlier this year and it was torture. I can’t imagine what you’re going thru
    Kari Kennedy

I've swum indoors at an LA Fitness -- four-lane pool with limits of one person per lane and limited locker room use. The place has actually been such a ghost town compared to pre-COVID that I have the pool to myself most of the time.

I've also swum at Y pools, indoor and out. Locker rooms are off limits, and you must reserve a time slot, but the Y's have allowed lane sharing - even indoors. I've had to share once, and I didn't mind. If we were both on the wall at the same time, we both made sure we weren't facing each other.

I've taken all of the precautions of wearing a mask until I'm in the water and putting one back on upon getting out. I've minimized my time in the locker room, and in all of my swims since the beginning of June (about 5 per week), I've only encountered one person who I thought was being sloppy about the whole thing and that was in the LA Fitness locker room - no mask, came in and sat very close to where I was changing, breathing hard, etc.

So far, I've had no issues with swimming. I have greater concerns about coming and going from my apartment building where my millennial neighbors aren't masking up in the elevator (not a slam on the generation as a whole, just an observation as to whose wearing masks and who isn't here).

Blog Entries

In Tallahassee we have had zero cases of any swimmers getting CoVid since we got back in on May 8th. One person per lane, you have to reserve the lane/time. Swim team has two kids per lane. 2 city pools, both outside. The water is lovely. No locker room use allowed. No synchro, no noodles.

My area YMCA has re-opened 4 of 8 local centers, so I'll be able to reserve a lane for 30 minutes at a time. One swimmer per lane.

Throughout the summer, I've been OWS with a Tri club at a lake about half an hour away once a week, and an outdoor 25y pool 4 days a week.

That swim club closes this week though. Today I was, for a while, the only one in the pool. Got out, dried off, went to the car, drove away, still no one else in the pool. Outdoor swims have one week to go up here.

I might try the pool now that my 4 weeks battle with poison ivy is finally almost ended! What a mess I was with almost no sleep and weight gain from the steroids to the tune of 8 pounds! OK I might have helped it along with ice cream at 3 am a few times!!

Very Active Member

Orca, so glad you have recovered. Is the pool indoors? I've had a wonderful 3+ weeks swimming outdoors in a 6 lane 25 meter lap pool. Aside from the usual annoyances (signs everywhere stating no one under 16 allowed in lap pool, yet parents think it's ok to give little ones a swim lesson in lap lanes). Pool is heated which is great on cooler days. Today, it hit 90 outside, and pool temp was 90. Indoor pools have 10 very narrow lanes. The pool outside is busy, and people do ask to share, but respect swimmers who do not wish to share. No reservations are needed, and no time limit on workouts. Outdoor pool closes Sept. 30. I am SO GLAD I found this pool and overcame my trepidation.

Renie - Yes. did I not send it to you?

Very Active Member

Renie - Yes. did I not send it to you?
    I didn't see anything.

With pandemic still going, I'd refrain from going to pools for now. It is still too risky.

Blog Entries

I have swum 10-12 times over the past month at my local indoor pool. They have done a great job in clearly marking everything; one-way corridors, limited time in the change room, spray down everything you touch (including the basket that you keep your stuff in at the end of your designated lane).

We have a big facility, so it's been a little easier to maintain physical distance. I still feel more at risk going to a grocery store or liquor store compared to going to my local indoor pool.

Today I just made my 1st "reservations" for swims. 3 next week and 3 the following week.
    They are at 2 hour intervals with swim time of 1 1/2 hour and30 min. to sanitize the area for the next swimmers.
    No locker room, showers or towels.
    Last edited by orca1946; September 10th, 2020 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Today I just made my 1st "reservations" for swims. 3 next week and 3 the following week.
    They are at 2 hour intervals with swim time of 1 1/2 hour skas to sanitize the area for the next swimmers.
    No locker room, showers or towels.
    Wow! Having 90 minutes would be awesome. Our community pools are doing 45 minute swim time w/15 minutes for cleaning. That can work for me in a pinch, but I'd prefer 60-75 minutes. Fortunately, I do have access to a LA Fitness, which, while being limited to 1 swimmer per lane and NOT having reservations, is relatively unused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast