Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The New Approach to Meets

Blog Entries

Re: The New Approach to Meets

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    We have to remember that vaccination only protects the vaccinated. It does not mean the vaccinated are not still carriers of the virus.
    Totally agreed; which is why I would think everyone entering the venue, competitor or otherwise, would need to show proof of vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    Unfortunately, I think we are going to be masked/distanced through the next summer/winer season.
    Totally agree. It's a small price to pay for our freedom to associate, our ability to be together, commiserate and compete like the good old days.

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Redbird & Chris -- totally agree with your statements. We all need to protect ourselves from this covid plague.

Very Active Member

Thinking outside the box right now....What about an event consisting of inter squads/local/county-wide, LMSC meets for a distanced National Championship? Realize that all pools are not created equal, but at least we would be able to celebrate the accomplishments of our members. Better than nothing at all. Meets have been happening in small venues, so why not make the results national results? Just thinking out loud, but I’d really hate to think that we might miss another National Championship. Maybe the competitive events could go “Postal?”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    Thinking outside the box right now....What about an event consisting of inter squads/local/county-wide, LMSC meets for a distanced National Championship? Realize that all pools are not created equal, but at least we would be able to celebrate the accomplishments of our members. Better than nothing at all. Meets have been happening in small venues, so why not make the results national results? Just thinking out loud, but I’d really hate to think that we might miss another National Championship. Maybe the competitive events could go “Postal?”
    If you look at what USA Swimming is doing with some of their big meets (e.g., Pro Swim Series going on right now), that could work for Nationals - host the same meet / order of events the same weekend at a number of venues around the country, integrate the results on the backend. That could work to reduce numbers of people in attendance, need to travel, etc. I just don't know if the economics work for meet hosts / pool rentals / etc.

The pro meets are very small compared to what a "local" meet would bring in but, it is an idea that could be a working edition of something that we would be able to use.

Blog Entries

I'm 71 and have been out of the pool since mid-march 2020. My hypothesis is that a chlorinated pool environment with a reasonable number of people is safe, but that's just a hypothesis with no proof that I'm aware of beyond anecdotal evidence.

By early Feb. I will have had my second dose of vaccine (feeling very lucky) and my plan is to get back into the pool for the first time swimming solo 2-3 weeks later around the end of the month. First swimming solo at pool where i need to reserve a lane for 45 min. at a time. I want to get back in shape before rejoining a masters team.

Our GPAC masters team collapsed back in March and our 50m pool has been closed anyway for HVAC renovations that ran much longer than expected due to COVID. I'm not sure if the masters practices will restart as the coach moved on. The Sr AGers at GPAC have been swimming outside with pool heaters and may just now be getting back into our indoor 50m GCIT pool. If its not available for masters, I'll try to join another masters program (SJAC) that's on the way in to work.

Meets seem like a distant past, and I'm not sure when i would feel ok to be on a crowded pool deck in that environment. Seems unlikely for me until fall, even with a vax. So much remains unknown, especially about variants. So..."playing it by ear."

Take care and be safe going forward - wishing all good health

Bill
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Starting Jan. 24th , the local pool will allow our team 16 swimmers at a time to practice.

Blog Entries

Looks like they're moving "Spring" Nats to July, and "Summer" Nats to October. I'm kind of excited, good chance I will be vaccinated by then, and I think my July calendar looks pretty good to be able to go to that one. Plus a few extra months after it took awhile to get back in full shape from the shutdowns.
    Last edited by JPEnge; January 29th, 2021 at 10:47 AM.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Looks like they're moving "Spring" Nats to July, and "Summer" Nats to October. I'm kind of excited, good chance I will be vaccinated by then, and I think my July calendar looks pretty good to be able to go to that one. Plus a few extra months to after it took awhile to get back in full shape from the shutdowns.
    This is good from my point of view. It will be great if both happen and if I can get a vaccine before the "spring" event.

This is great news. Are they going to move the Top Ten deadlines to accomodate this, or will SCY Nats and LCM Nats count for 2022 instead?
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

I'm a bit bummed that in my region, USAS and high school have been competing since November, but nary a peep regarding USMS sanctions in the LMSC. They've got the covid protocols locked down to host meets safely for the kids (multi-site meets, participant limitations, masking, etc), but I dunno if no local Masters team wants to host a meet or if there's another reason why we haven't had anything.

I'd sure love to compete in a real meet before the hypothetical SCY Nats!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by habu987 View Post
    I'm a bit bummed that in my region, USAS and high school have been competing since November, but nary a peep regarding USMS sanctions in the LMSC. They've got the covid protocols locked down to host meets safely for the kids (multi-site meets, participant limitations, masking, etc), but I dunno if no local Masters team wants to host a meet or if there's another reason why we haven't had anything.
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was some communication from USMS about their "return to competition" plan! I would have thought that, for example, with the Nationals delay announcement, it would have been a perfect time for USMS to show how meets will run in the future. Nothing, though.

Unknown Structure Masters Swimming.
    PRs: 25m-16.0/50m-34.75/100m-1:17.0/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

2021 dream: 15.8/34.2/1:16.2/2:48.4/5:59/12:31/25:33

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345