Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Approach to Meets

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: The New Approach to Meets

Thanks, PWB, for a well-stated post! You are realistic and have a great attitude! Thanks as well to Mark Usher for this:
    "Life's not always fair and there are things outside of our control.
    The most important thing at this point is getting through this pandemic safely."
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I feel lucky. I'm lucky because I won't have to worry about top ten times. I couldn't make top ten even if only 9 people swam my "best" event all year. LOL

I don't worry over top tens, I would like the opportunity to participate in a live event at some point, but live remote from most meet opportunities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I think one thing all of us Masters swimmers should remind ourselves is that our swimming careers last a lifetime.
    Agreed. In the overall scheme of things missing out on masters swimming competition is pretty low on the list of COVID-19 repercussions. It will definitely be great to get back, though!

I totally agree that we need to keep perspective. I have a 41 year streak of at least one TT time per year, but it is not worth dying or infecting someone else to continue the streak. There are many more important things. Being healthy enough to swim at a meet, even if there are no meets, is a blessing. I see Sarasota Sharks may be able to have a sanctioned intrasquad meet this year. I wish them well.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Small meets are always welcome by those who set them up. Covid has disrupted more than our swims in the country and world!
    On a side note -- this season I have a torn rotator cuff.arthritis pain in my left knee, pain in my 5 operations right hip and a very sore foot from a flip turn that I did that landed my heel on the pool edge! A meet is not in my distant future but, will look forward to one when we in Illinois can arrange one!

So there is an openish meet scheduled in South Carolina https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...674&smid=13481 They have a 200 swimmer limit which doesn't seem to fit the "Phase one" guidelines. I will be very interested in how it goes. I hope they follow the entrants to see if anyone gets Covid. If there are no cases it would be a good sign for future meets and if there are that would also be good to know. I hope everyone stays safe.
    Allen

We were talking about that meet during our Georgia Masters board meeting on Zoom, and my first thought was exactly as you stated. A 200 swimmer limit? They already have more than 100 signed up-- a super spreader event waiting to happen, in my opinion. Yes, masks will be required; however, what do swimmers do as soon as they touch the wall after finishing a race? They breathe hard! The distance between swimmers in each lane isn't enough. Considering that studies show when somebody is breathing hard or coughs (which is likely to happen when you accidentally get a gulp of water), the tiny aerosols can travel 10 feet and stay in the air for hours.

Count me out. Besides, I would have to stay in a hotel-- which has also been proven to be one of the six riskiest places to contract COVID (outside of the healthcare environment).

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I am trying hard not to be too negative about it because I'd like to see a path forward. Can someone explain what happened to the 50 swimmer max and and basically all from one workout group?
    Allen

Meets will be different in our near future due to Covid. All we can do is try new ways to get us safely back into meet status.
    A few "small" meets is a way to inter into this new reality. some may work as others will have associated problems.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Live and let live I say. If you're afraid to go to a meet, don't go. I applaud the huevos of holding a meet when everybody else seems content to cower in the corner until 2027.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Live and let live I say. If you're afraid to go to a meet, don't go. I applaud the huevos of holding a meet when everybody else seems content to cower in the corner until 2027.
    Kurt...I agree with you 100%. No one way works for everyone and if folks want to go to a meet...great! people that are un-comfortable should not go and have that choice. Same for workouts or attending practices

I have been back training since late May when pools in Austin opened up and I swim in 3 different programs. Each program has different requirements, some have gradually increased #'s in a lane and in the pool. one program is now up to 4 in a lane same end, one at 3 in a lane at the same end and some still 2 in a lane 1 each on opposite ends. 2 programs outside and 1 is inside. I swim in all 3 of these programs. To date no one that I know of at any of these practices/programs have tested positive. All require a mask on entry and exit and temp is taken at 2 of the 3.

The good news is choices and folks that feel more comfortable with more restrictions then they can go to a program that fits their comfort level. All programs have sign ups so you can see how many folks are going to a practice. No one is forcing folks to swim or attend...do what fits your comfort level. Should be the same for meets, if a club wants to host a meet then folks have a choice wether to attend or not given their comfort level and what makes sense for them.

one size does not fit all!

I hope the vaccines will be available to us soon to help in the health of all of us for future swim meets.
    Even then, it will be a different format to be in use for the near future.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kornblatt View Post
    Getting back to the main question. I do not think an inter squad scrimmage closed to other USMS members should count as a Meet, or Top Ten times.
    Why not?

In 2010, when FINA started recognizing the long relays, Both Rose Bowl and Mission Viejo held sanctioned meets during their workout times and set about 50 brand new World records. You can still find them on top of the FINA record lists. I think that alone is good enough reason to sanction intersquad meets.

You have taken the position of envy rather than the position of support. If a club thinks it can do something for its swimmers by holding a sanctioned meet during these trying times, good for them!
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    You have taken the position of envy rather than the position of support. If a club thinks it can do something for its swimmers by holding a sanctioned meet during these trying times, good for them!
    I agree to some extent. I think most would have no problems with records being set and kept. Top ten and All-American status is quite another point. Because there is very little opportunity for all USMS members, the issue of fairness comes into play. I suspect what will be done (as it is clear USMS will not make any announcements) is the 2020 LCM and SCM season will be dragged and combined with 2021.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I suspect what will be done (as it is clear USMS will not make any announcements) is the 2020 LCM and SCM season will be dragged and combined with 2021.[/QUOTE]

the USMS 2020 LCM TOP TEN has been posted
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

the USMS 2020 LCM TOP TEN has been posted[/QUOTE]

Ouch!
    3 people in my age group for the 100 free...total.

Does the top 10 patch reflect this? Patch would then be = Top 3

I will just repeat I don’t think it’s fair to be AA or TT for showing up go a meet in 2019 or early 2020. I know it’s said that things are unfair in general, but somethings are too far out. Winners in my age group are at least 2 standard deviations from mean.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    the USMS 2020 LCM TOP TEN has been posted
    Ouch!
    3 people in my age group for the 100 free...total.[/QUOTE]

Check out the women's 55-59 age group. There is only 1 person in the 100 free, 50 free, 50 breast, and several other events. Some of the other events had two. The only event posted for the events I checked was the Good Life Games, where 1 team was represented, and there were 66 swimmers. WHAT A JOKE.

(No, Michael, I am not expressing "envy" either. As a swimmer who only ranks at around the 40% mark in my best event, I would never even imagine myself in the Top Ten-- unless I live to be 100 years old! I am also not envious of others competing right now, since I have no desire to do so until things return back to a safe normal. As a completely objective person on the subject, I think it's a JOKE to even have Top Ten this year.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast