Thread: Parkas

Parkas

Dumb question coming. I just got a swim parka. I had never had a use for one since I had been swimming at gyms where I go directly into a warm locker room and shower. Now I am swimming with a Masters club outside with no lockers (head directly home). This is where the Parka comes in. First use this morning. Couple issues. I put my essentials in the pockets and skipped a bag. Kinda bulky and uncomfortable. I didn’t wear any clothes over my suit. Just the parka. That didn’t feel right either. What is the best way to do all this? I am not asking how to wear a jacket. I am asking how to best use a specialized piece of swimming equipment.🤣

Re: Parkas

When I wear my parka I still wear a tee shirt and some deck shorts over my jammers. I still use my bag for my gear.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aqueoushumor View Post
    I am asking how to best use a specialized piece of swimming equipment.🤣
    There is no right way. I would, however, recommend going to your local mall in aforementioned attire just to display your commitment to the swimming community

Blog Entries

Skip the parka. If you're just coming out of a workout, wrap a towel around your bottom and toss a solid cotton hoodie on your top. Run to the car. Turn on the heat. Drive home.

If that's not working, skip the 'warm-down' in your workout and finish with a good hard 200-500 fly. Your body will generate enough heat you might not even need to dry off before you get to a car.

I've never understood the parka. It seems like a bulky, expensive waste. IMHO

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Skip the parka. If you're just coming out of a workout, wrap a towel around your bottom and toss a solid cotton hoodie on your top. Run to the car. Turn on the heat. Drive home.

If that's not working, skip the 'warm-down' in your workout and finish with a good hard 200-500 fly. Your body will generate enough heat you might not even need to dry off before you get to a car.

I've never understood the parka. It seems like a bulky, expensive waste. IMHO

Yes they are expensive, I haven't seen one under 125.00

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpmartin View Post
    Yes they are expensive, I haven't seen one under 125.00
    Swimoutlet has Sporti parks for $75. There is a USMS one for $85 but only a few sizes are in stock.

I plan to get one if they get any back in. I'm not comfortable taking a shower in the gym, I'm really only comfortable going straight to the pool area, and out of the gym as quickly as I can. And I need to cool down to keep from getting too sore. A water resistant Parka is easier to deal with than sweats and other things taht will get wet, and then not keep me warm.

Thanks everyone

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aqueoushumor View Post
    Thanks everyone
    You already have a good parka. Dry off and cover what you want with sweat pants & a top of comfort.
    A back pack is what most of our team uses to hold things other than the parka = workout paddles, fins, pull buoy and towel.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Parkas are excellent for repairing gutters during hurricanes

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Not too many hurricane here in Chicagoland. Lots of wind [mostly by politicians!] and then winter conditions.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

What about a bathrobe. Anyone wear a bathrobe at a meet?

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    What about a bathrobe. Anyone wear a bathrobe at a meet?
    A few still do.

Your parka will be what you make of it. How much gear do you carry? How large a towel? I use a bath sheet, way too big to stuff in a pocket. Also, SoCal does not usually have weather that demands a parka, so I save mine for meets. If we ever have one again.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member

My parka is my last resort. I wear fleece to the pool when I think I’m going to be cold, top and bottom. Fleece doesn’t absorb water so there isn’t a chill factor. If I get into Parka Mode, I’m wearing fleece bottoms, fake, cheap Uggs on my feet, a fleece hat, and fleece gloves. I think it’s all about perspective of cold.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    My parka is my last resort. I wear fleece to the pool when I think I’m going to be cold, top and bottom. Fleece doesn’t absorb water so there isn’t a chill factor. If I get into Parka Mode, I’m wearing fleece bottoms, fake, cheap Uggs on my feet, a fleece hat, and fleece gloves. I think it’s all about perspective of cold.
    That’s exactly what I used, a long sleeve Air Force issue fleece top. I wore it (along with the mask) to the block. When the event and warmdown was over I put it back on. It didn’t feel wet and it kept me warm.