Thread: how do you shut it off - USMS emails

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

how do you shut it off - USMS emails

i just got several dozen e-mails from , i believe the USMS forums ... one question ... how do you shut it OFFF
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Blog Entries

Re: how do you shut it off - USMS emails

Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post
    i just got several dozen e-mails from , i believe the USMS forums ... one question ... how do you shut it OFFF
    It appears to be feedback and questions from people on a "new forum"? but no dates so hard to tell if this is in regards to when THESE forums were new? I am sorting through them now, I got about 75 emails from them.

Blog Entries

Ok yeah these HAVE to be from when these forums were the new flavor of coke. I can date them because there is a question about if the USMS organization is on MySpace!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog

I was shocked to return to my e-mail after a Zoom meeting and see that my inbox was FLOODED with e-mails! After reading a couple of them, I deleted the rest without even opening them. Something at USMS went haywire! They're still coming in. I know they are getting ready to roll out the new forums, but this is CRAZY!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog

Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post

To answer your question, I poked around and found it. Go to the top of your page to "Notifications" and click on Inbox. Then, look on the left side down where "General Settings" is located and click on that. In that section, you can un-check the "Receive e-mails from Administrators" and see if that works. It makes sense to me!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Deleted all the hacked emails then unsubscribed to the main .org email from last week. Hope that will work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

To answer your question, I poked around and found it. Go to the top of your page to "Notifications" and click on Inbox. Then, look on the left side down where "General Settings" is located and click on that. In that section, you can un-check the "Receive e-mails from Administrators" and see if that works. It makes sense to me!
    Thanks for the tip, Elaine, but that was already unchecked on mine and I got close to 100 emails. I just deleted them all. They seem to have stopped for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Elaine, but that was already unchecked on mine and I got close to 100 emails. I just deleted them all. They seem to have stopped for me.
    Ditto. I had that unchecked already. 101 emails this morning...
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

I got 99 emails last night over 5 minutes. I am so glad I was in the water when they came, it would have been annoying to get 99 notifications while trying to do something on my phone.

It must have been a bug, or a hack since like it was mentioned earlier a lot of the emails were based on really old information.

It was an annoying glitch. I’m not too concerned about it, but I think we are owed an explanation of what happened.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    It was an annoying glitch. I’m not too concerned about it, but I think we are owed an explanation of what happened.
    Based upon the current track record of USMS leadership, we will receive exactly zero communication. I mean, I haven't received any direct emails from USMS throughout 2020 about this little thing called the global pandemic, so why should I expect anything on this minor annoyance.

Good morning,

On November 23, U.S. Masters Swimming was testing the functionality of its new Community platform. In this testing, we inadvertently sent dozens of emails from “U.S. Masters Swimming Community: noreply@usmastersswimming.org” to current forum users who have previously posted in the forum thread we were testing with “Forum Announcements and Questions”. The links in the email sent you to a telligent.dev.local website, which is a developer test site and not spam related. We have found the problem and will contact those impacted.

Please note, your personal information was not compromised. This was an error on our part and we sincerely apologize for the flood of emails and any confusion this may have caused.

We know that having a community is more important than ever. So, over the past several months, we have been building out this new digital community to help keep our members connected, even if they are not swimming together. It modernizes the best parts of our current forums and adds in new functionality expected of contemporary platforms. Our hope is to begin showing this new community at the beginning of 2021 after we have migrated the current forum threads and posts over. We look forward to sharing this with all of you soon!

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank those of you who reported this.

Please contact Membership Services if you have any concerns or questions.

USMS Membership Team
    membership@usmastersswimming.org

I am pleasantly surprised by the response. Now I hope they please,please,please put a link to the new improved forums at the top of the home page and make an announcement on the home page when it is up and running,
    Allen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the redundancy of emailing us AND posting here. And speaking of redundancy, can you infract Allen for double posting?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S View Post
    Thanks for the redundancy of emailing us AND posting here. And speaking of redundancy, can you infract Allen for double posting?

Fixed it
    Allen

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

U S M S team - thanx for responding to the dump of emails. It took a while to get rid of all of them.