Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: no mask lifeguard

  1. #1
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444

    no mask lifeguard

    Everyone in the gym wears a mask (mandated in our state in the gym) however, one of the guards spent most of the hour I was swimming in the chair (in between breaks) with the mask off, unless she had to speak to the other guard. She's taken short mask breaks in the past, but this was ridiculous. All member have to wear the mask in the gym, while working out, on the deck, etc. and an employee of the fitness center doesn't. I'm surprised the other "main" guard has let this go, since he never removes his mask.

  2. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    447

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...iwZ_ZTsrQ7V2d8

    Hope that may give you some relief. I would guess that if the lifeguard is up in their chair, they are well beyond socially distanced. They may need to enter teh water quickly, as well, and maybe the mask would be one thing they would have to remove, and it may be an issue. I know that the kids' coaches don't wear masks during practice, as they are distanced from the swimmers, the swimmers are a bit protected by the chloriine, and in their case, they need to be able to yell loud enough to get the kids' attention while they are in the water.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member ForceDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, RI
    Posts
    611

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    I guard part-time (in RI). There are always two guards on duty, with chairs on either side of the pool. Around each chair there are orange cones placed at 6-ft to keep patrons at a safe distance. When in the chair, we can remove our masks, but otherwise they must be worn on deck when patrons are in the pool area.

    Dan

  4. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    I guard part-time (in RI). There are always two guards on duty, with chairs on either side of the pool. Around each chair there are orange cones placed at 6-ft to keep patrons at a safe distance. When in the chair, we can remove our masks, but otherwise they must be worn on deck when patrons are in the pool area.

    Dan
    Thanks Dan and 67King. Since she is the only one not wearing a mask, it was a concern. Everyone is very mindful of wearing the mask, even if we hate it. Trainers and coaches do not remove their masks. I've been swimming in several pools since July. Even outdoors, in 95 degree weather, all guards kept masks on. No one wants to risk an infection, and having to close the gym again.

  5. #5
    Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berdoo
    Posts
    1,038
    Blog Entries
    23

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Thanks Dan and 67King. Since she is the only one not wearing a mask, it was a concern. Everyone is very mindful of wearing the mask, even if we hate it. Trainers and coaches do not remove their masks. I've been swimming in several pools since July. Even outdoors, in 95 degree weather, all guards kept masks on. No one wants to risk an infection, and having to close the gym again.
    Try to imagine if you would have even noticed in February. The current blanket of fear draped over this country is not only unnecessary, it is more and more often medically dangerous for the wearers. The guard was not trying to infect anyone, he/she was only trying to do their job and masks can be very distracting. If they were more than 6 feet away from you or anyone else, is a mask even useful? Probably not. Fixating on this topic is not healthy for anyone.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    447

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    it is more and more often medically dangerous for the wearers.
    Please stop trying to kill people by spreading deliberate lies.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    189

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    I feel very safe in my swimming environment. Swimmers mask when they approach the lane. Guards mask as they approach their chairs. The masks are removed by all when appropriately socially distanced. No fear here. When the guard is on the chair, the guard is appropriately socially distanced. I have no problem with mask removal while they are up in the chair.

  8. #8
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Please stop trying to kill people by spreading deliberate lies.

    Like I've said before, the USMS moderators need to flag posts like Twitter does for dangerous and scientifically false content.

  9. #9
    Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berdoo
    Posts
    1,038
    Blog Entries
    23

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    Please stop trying to kill people by spreading deliberate lies.
    Prove it wrong and I will remove it. Cancel culture and the new religion of the covidian god have no effect on facts.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

  10. #10
    Very Active Member JPEnge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    436
    Blog Entries
    529

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Stop trolling.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    447

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    Prove it wrong and I will remove it. Cancel culture and the new religion of the covidian god have no effect on facts.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

  12. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    savannah,ga
    Posts
    102
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Do not feed "s ... although i love the monty python bit, that works
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    I feel very safe in my swimming environment. Swimmers mask when they approach the lane. Guards mask as they approach their chairs. The masks are removed by all when appropriately socially distanced. No fear here. When the guard is on the chair, the guard is appropriately socially distanced. I have no problem with mask removal while they are up in the chair.
    swoomer, in our state, anyone in a gym must wear a mask at all times, whether socially distant or not. There are no exceptions. The gym could get closed down because one guard thinks she is an exception to the rule.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    638

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    I'm somewhat in the middle on this. Certainly covid is awful but it seems odd to worship at its alter at the expense of everything else. I am a rule guy but wearing masks on a lifeguard stand is ridiculous and is simply a form of virtue signaling. I'm sure at any given moment there are 10 people in this country having sex with perfect strangers with a mask on (out of fear of covid) but no condom (as whatever happens below the belt is cool). Oregon has legalized hard drugs (and presumably condones the increased domestic violence, murder, theft, etc) but want you to rat out your neighbor if there are too many people in their home for thanksgiving.

    As an aside, not sure when all the Berkeley hippies who championed free speech back in the 60s became their polar opposite fathers but it's kind of annoying.

  15. #15
    "Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hampshire, il - U S A
    Posts
    8,123

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    WOW! Has this gone way off topic at this point.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    WOW! Has this gone way off topic at this point.
    Agree! Given the amount of precautions those of us in states with very high numbers of cases/deaths are taking, it is a slap in the face, IMO, that one person thinks they are above the rules. If you don't want to follow the Mask rules posed all over the gym, don't work there. It's as simple as that.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    There are plenty of contradictory "guidelines" since March, for sure, but in our state, we wear masks where required, whether we like it or not. This guard spends her last hour unmasked, eating in her chair, never moving from her chair except for 10 minutes trips to the bathroom. It's a joke.

  18. #18
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    638

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    This guard spends her last hour unmasked, eating in her chair, never moving from her chair except for 10 minutes trips to the bathroom. It's a joke.
    Well, I will agree that, in general, lifeguards are unneeded and probably a waste of money. In 23 years at LA fitness (where they do not have them) I've never heard of a drowning. I'm also fairly certain the 90 lb waif sitting stop the lifeguard stand at my local Y would have no idea or ability to help my bloated cyanotic carcass when the time comes I need her services. Still, I find it necessary to stimulate the economy and help young, hot girls and boys work on their tans.

  19. #19
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    171

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Well, I will agree that, in general, lifeguards are unneeded and probably a waste of money. In 23 years at LA fitness (where they do not have them) I've never heard of a drowning. I'm also fairly certain the 90 lb waif sitting stop the lifeguard stand at my local Y would have no idea or ability to help my bloated cyanotic carcass when the time comes I need her services. Still, I find it necessary to stimulate the economy and help young, hot girls and boys work on their tans.
    Tell that to Madeleine Brown, a freshman swimmer at Emory who died at practice when no lifeguard was on deck. One of the masters swimmers noticed her unconscious by the gutter and pulled her out, but it was too late. Now all Emory practices require a lifeguard, because even the best swimmers can get into trouble and slip underwater unnoticed. https://www.wistv.com/story/5847517/...led-from-pool/

  20. #20
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    638

    Re: no mask lifeguard

    Quote Originally Posted by hnatkin View Post
    Tell that to Madeleine Brown, a freshman swimmer at Emory who died at practice when no lifeguard was on deck. https://www.wistv.com/story/5847517/...led-from-pool/
    Obviously, I won't be able to.

    The article doesn't say what she died from. Shallow water blackout? Some weird QT phenomenon? If there were a whole pool of teammates present, why do you suppose a lifeguard's presence would have helped?

    Two swimmers on my kid's team had a shallow water blackout amidst 4 lifeguards on some stupid 50M underwaters several years ago. A parent present saved them. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mask-style goggles with dark lens?
    By Svarog in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 5th, 2019, 12:42 AM
  2. Swimming Mask
    By topspin64 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM
  3. Best Swim Mask
    By topspin64 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM
  4. Swim Mask questions
    By raid in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 30th, 2011, 12:54 PM
  5. Mask and snorkel
    By Frank Ott in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •