Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccine!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Vaccine!

I'm getting it at 8:30 in the morning. It's great to see an end in sight.

Blog Entries

Re: Vaccine!

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    I'm getting it at 8:30 in the morning. It's great to see an end in sight.
    Great for you!

My sister and daughter, both at the front line in healthcare, have had their first doses. I'm expecting I'll wait quite a long time, but, as our pools, movie theaters and restaurants are closed, I have no reason to leave the house and be around other people, so I'm feeling COVID-safe

"Don't float through life orca1946's Avatar

Still no time line as to me 74 10/12 age getting a date.

Very Active Member

So the vaccine rollout is going, frankly, horribly. Only 50% of doses delivered have been administered. Only 4.1% of the population has had even 1 shot, only 0.6% has had both. Meanwhile, as of last week, Israel has inoculated 25% of its population. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ine-doses.html

Neighbor of mine is an Air Marshall, therefore a LEO who is prioritized and now "up" for one. He can't find out how to get it. Conversely, we have people who CAN take them who won't, and my wife's hospital has started a lottery for spouses of employees to get ones at the end of the day (so they can be used, rather than tossed). Starts next week, hope I luck out - but am agitated at both the people who won't get them (more appropriately the ^&%*ers who propagate falsehoods to which these people cling), and the state for not having any system in place to get them in the arms of eligible people, after most of a year knowing that this was coming.

I just got my first shot this morning and next one scheduled for in 4 weeks. Now, if we can just get the pools here open.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I just got my first shot this morning and next one scheduled for in 4 weeks. Now, if we can just get the pools here open.
    Stoked for you on the vaccine ... and similarly hopeful on pools opening here.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

It makes you feel like the end is near. I had zero side effects from the first dose.

I read an article that said the official data for the Moderna vaccine showed 50% efficacy after the first dose; however, it said if you exclude the first 14 days after injection, the efficacy was 90%. Then 94% two weeks after the second dose.

Hopefully that is true and I am close to significant protection.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    So the vaccine rollout is going, frankly, horribly. Only 50% of doses delivered have been administered.
    I was lucky to get scheduled when I did. In Texas there is no central registry. My wife and I had registered with the county registry; but I heard someone on the radio who recommended that people sign up for multiple registries.

The first hospital registry I tried took me directly to an appointment page. The next day, the page was shut down.

You might try looking for different locations and see if you get lucky. Good luck!

Very Active Member

I was lucky to get scheduled when I did. In Texas there is no central registry. My wife and I had registered with the county registry; but I heard someone on the radio who recommended that people sign up for multiple registries.

The first hospital registry I tried took me directly to an appointment page. The next day, the page was shut down.

You might try looking for different locations and see if you get lucky. Good luck!
    He has (my neighbor, I'll be at 67Queen's hospital if I win the lottery). No one has a clue. He has tried his primary care physician, the UT hospital, the health department. No one knows.

Our small town has not started shots for even the EMS or doctors yet!

Blog Entries

I got my first dose (Moderna) on Sunday. My arm was really sore yesterday, but less so today. I am a teacher and we were added to the "approved to get the vaccine" list on Jan 13. As of today, I think that any teacher who wants the vaccine has been able to schedule it. I think that 65+ is next in Idaho. I haven't heard of any shortages in our area yet, and although it's about 10 days out to get an appointment once a group is approved, it seems to be going smoothly. I'm anxious for my parents (in their 70s) to get scheduled.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn View Post
    I am a teacher.......
    Thank you!

I taught for 40 years in high school DRIVER EDUCATON What was I thinking handing the keys to 15 - 16 year olds??!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Statistics for those of you who would be foolish enough not to get the vaccine:

According to the Los Angeles Times, in the first three weeks it was administered, the Moderna vaccine caused only 10 confirmed severe allergic reactions out of 4 million doses-- a rate of 2.5 reactions per million shots, according to a CDC study. A similar study of the Pfizer vaccine found 11 allergic reactions for every million does.

If you haven't had a severe reaction with the flu vaccine (or other vaccines), you will probably be just fine with the COVID-19 vaccine.

As soon as my age group (59) is up for vaccines, sign me up!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I got my second dose today - then went to the Y for a 3,600 yd workout.

Ready to compete this summer!

I got my second dose today - then went to the Y for a 3,600 yd workout.

Ready to compete this summer!
    Congratulations, 'Fly! My husband gets his second dose on the 23rd, so we are both happy about that! I wish I didn't have to wait.

Until I get fully vaccinated and develop immunity, I won't be going to any swim meets. Meanwhile, I'll keep wearing my U.S. Masters Swimming masks:
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/productdetails_customize.asp?productcode=8197256&s id=52839&catid=&custom=89598

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

I have received the two doses of Pfizer and wanted to share my experience as a guy in his 40s. The first one was not bad, a little sore arm and also a mild headache, no really issues affecting work or swimming.

I got the second dose three weeks later at 10am and went back to work. Felt fine but took some Tylenol before bed. Overnight I woke up at 2am with chills and took some ibuprofen. Woke up at 4:30 feeling feverish and took some Tylenol and fell back to work. Went and worked the whole day, and the next three days, trying to get as much sleep at night as possible. I did skip swimming that week, and wish I could have taken day 2 or day 3 post-shot to just rest.

The biggest thing advice I can give folks when your shot comes is to be sure you hydrate before getting the vaccine. I drank a gatorade about an hour before the second dose and pushed fluids the rest of the day and subsequent days. Especially if like me you have to work and you are not drinking enough due to wearing a mask. Also, don't premediate before the shot...opt to take something to help with pain/feverish feelings after the shot if needed.

Have patience in getting the shot. Every state has different guidelines and options. We'll get there, and hopefully back to the pool together too!
    ..<))><

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I got the Moderna vaccine. I had some arm soreness after the first dose, but nothing else. I have had less soreness since the second dose, but I do feel a little fatigued in workout. That may be due to having to move to the indoor pool which is a little hot. For the first time, in a long time, I was not able to make the interval in the main set today.

I hope my lack of side effects does not mean that my immune system is weak. All-in-all, it has been a good experience for me.

Very Active Member

Here's some good news for those of us in the last tier: https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-says-al...221400929.html

Also even without the projections mentioned, we are on pace to have 50% vaccinated by June 24th. Only a week ago, that projection was July 4th.

Of course, Tennessee is 45th out of 50 states in rate.

Open season for a vaccine in April?

Here is an excellent resource for those of you who are trying to land a vaccine in your state:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/plan-your-vaccine/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast