Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's swimming blog

Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Paul's swimming blog

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    And now I have strep. Terrific. At least I have it now when the antibiotics have 3 days to work as opposed to Friday. Yeah, right.
    OMG that is not good. I'm sorry you're sick! Are you still going to go up to Rutgers for the meet?????

Paul,

Rest up and go. Good luck.

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieopl View Post
    OMG that is not good. I'm sorry you're sick! Are you still going to go up to Rutgers for the meet?????
    Here now. Staying in Somerset. Doing the NYC thingy with the family tomorrow and Friday. Hopefully I won't feel like roadkill tomorrow.

Paul

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

good thing you're away from here; the 3-4" of snow have brought the region to a halt. only thing is that I hear we're supposed to get more up at Rutgers this weekend. could make for a long week. not weekend... week.

see you then!
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Blog Entries

Well, I feel like road kill that's been run over about 20 times. Nothing like tooling around NYC in 25-30 degree weather. This sucks.

Paul

Blog Entries

OK, even with all the negativity, illness and walking, I'm still pretty happy with my swims today. Except for the start of 50 Back. Once again my feet slipped at the start. Still won the heat with a decent time. This was very annoying as I practiced about 10 starts during warmup and my feet never slipped. The pad in my lane (Lane 5) was pretty slick.

100 Free: 1:01.37 - First sign that I was in trouble was that off the thrid turn my pecs were burning. Now, shoulders, triceps, etc I can understand but my PECS???
    100 Breast: 1:21.72 - After the 100 Free experience, I was going to scratch, even as the event started I was going to scratch but I swam it. Went too deep on the start and was riding the line on my second stroke. Last turn was a train wreck. Gotta work on that.
    50 Back: 35.65. Nothing like slipping at the start. Only put me a full body length behind everyone. But still came home pretty strong and won my heat.
    50 Fly: 30.29. Gridge race with BP. And I was on the outside lane next to him. Swam a solid 25 but I think I was short stroking myself as my stroke count at the turn I used in warm ups left me 2 feet short at the turn so had to kick in. Ugh. Gotta work on that too. Won my heat and beat BP by a body length.

All in all, happy with the results. Nabbed best times in every event and snagged 2 of my teams records :-)

Paul

Solid. Now don't you feel better you went?

Blog Entries

So it's day 2 and I'm pretty sore and my right trap is hurting. And I get to start with 100 IM. Warming up, my stroke was suffering for Fly but I thought that I could muscle thru it.

So I get on the block and for some reason I start to pull myself forward then realize that the starting signal hasn't gone off. I _thought_ that I had gotten myself back to a resting position but apparently I was wrong. I just wish they had recalled the heat and told me I was DQ'ed rather than making me struggle thru that length of Fly. That HURT.

100 IM: 1:10.71 was my time but I DQed.
    50 Free: 27.25. Another funny thing. I could not find my goggles so I went to my spare set. Well, the one thing that I didn't do was tighten them up. So off the blocks they roll down, not a huge problem, except they roll down RIGHT ACROSS MY MOUTH!!!!!!! As soon as I realize this I immediately decide to no breathe the first 25. Flipped a little too early at the wall and got almost no push. The first breath I take is 75/25 air/water, so now I'm choking slightly. But still a good swim and I'm certain I could have gone sub-27 if the goggles hadn't turned into a racing bit.
    50 Breast: 37.28 - I thought that this was a good swim until I touched and saw my time. I split a 37.9 on my 100 Breast on Sat. I haven't taken a good look at the video my wife took so not sure what went wrong.

All in all some good times considering the strep throat and the walking around NYC on Thursday and Friday.

Lessons learned:
    1) Sightsee AFTER the meet
    2) If you have to change goggles, make sure they are adjusted correctly
    3) HOT TUB, HOT TUB, HOT TUB!!!!!!

Paul

Blog Entries

OK, now that I have had some time to think about this weekend's meet I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Need to reduce bodyweight by about 12 pounds. Dragging too much load thru the water.
    2) Need to increase strength. Will be going back to the gym starting in January. Training plan to follow. Combine building some additional muscle mass with #1 should result in about a 16-20 pound loss of body fat.
    3) Need to increase endurance. I am still falling off way too much in 100 Free. Part of that might have been the earlier activities and illness but it is always a good thing to increase.
    4) Strengthen my kicks, especially my SDKs. I am swimming way too much with just my upper body, need to build legs. Getting a monofin for Christmas so need to incorporate that.
    5) Increase flexability. Hamstrings and calves are way too tight.
    6) Fuel the machine. Get my eating habits better suited for my goals.
    7) Get more sleep. Need to get as close to 8 hours a night as possible. Currently averaging about 6.5 or so.
    8) Concentrate more on Free and Fly. While I still need to improve my Back and Breast to help with IM, I need to focus more on improving my Free and Fly as those are my preferred strokes.
    9) Get mentally tough. Need to focus on my goals and STAY focused. Do the whole practice, do what I need to do and stay focused. This is one of the HUGE ones.

Paul

Blog Entries

Good thing there's not too many things on that list.

1) Need to reduce bodyweight by about 25 pounds. Dragging too much load thru the water.
    2) Need to increase strength. Will be going back to the gym starting in February. Training plan to follow. Combine building some additional muscle mass with #1 should result in about a 16-20 pound loss of body fat, plus some bike and running.
    3) Need to increase endurance. I am still falling off way too much in 50 Free. Part of that might be the fact that I train randomly, maybe 3Xweek.
    4) Strengthen my kicks, especially my SDKs. I am swimming way too much with just my upper body, need to build legs and learn how to use them. I kick like a triathlete (no kick?)
    5) Increase flexability. Hamstrings and calves are way too tight. Too old to do that.
    6) Fuel the machine. Get my eating habits better suited for my goals. I eat okay.
    7) Get more sleep. Need to get as close to 8 hours a night as possible. Currently averaging about 6.5 or so. I need to get less sleep.
    8) Concentrate more on Free and Fly. While I still need to improve my Back and Breast to help with IM, I need to focus more on improving my Free and Fly as those are my preferred strokes.
    9) Get mentally tough. Need to focus on my goals and STAY focused. Do the whole practice, do what I need to do and stay focused. This is one of the HUGE ones.

I copied from your list and agree with most everything. I changed some numbers. You have a great plan! I use to die the last 25 in the 100 free, but lately have been losing speed in the last 10 meters of the 50 free. I do a 1,000 o.w. meter race about 6 times a year. My last times have been 2 to 3 minutes slower, which is way too much for that distance. Take care, billy fanstone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Good thing there's not too many things on that list.
    Yeah, I figure about the time I age up to 65-69, I should have about half that done.

Paul

Blog Entries

Currently 41 with about 2 months in the pool. 6'3" 260.

Based on the very short time that you've been back in the pool...you are doing extremely well.
    Good luck with the training.
    Last edited by quicksilver; December 10th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
    Excellence Is Never An Accident.

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

50 Fly: 30.29. Gridge race with BP. And I was on the outside lane next to him. Swam a solid 25 but I think I was short stroking myself as my stroke count at the turn I used in warm ups left me 2 feet short at the turn so had to kick in. Ugh. Gotta work on that too. Won my heat and beat BP by a body length.
    Congrats, Paul, a fly well swum. My fly did not work out so well for me this weekend, as i couldn't seem to get myself going (esp for the 100), and had a similar issue as you with stroke counts and extra space. I guess it would help to swim SCM a bit more, eh?

-jeff
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Sounds like you had a good meet, even with the things going against you. Congrats!!

When is the next meet for you?

Alison

Blog Entries

Videos of my swims. Welcome any comments.

50 Free
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njnp0nVfMv0

50 Back - no comments on the start. My feet slipped
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8D99GxlrI

50 Fly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEEU7_ArfQQ

Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    Sounds like you had a good meet, even with the things going against you. Congrats!!

When is the next meet for you?

Alison
    Thanks.

I was thinking about going 50 Free in the PVS January Open. Still not sure. Would like to do both the 50 and 100 in that meet but they seem to realize that 100 on one day, 50 and 200 on the other. Unlike some Masters meets.

Other than that, I haven't really thought about it.

Paul

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

congratulations on your swims
    I'll catch your swims when I get home
    YT is one of the many blocked sites on this PC

a

OK, even with all the negativity, illness and walking, I'm still pretty happy with my swims today. Except for the start of 50 Back. Once again my feet slipped at the start. Still won the heat with a decent time. This was very annoying as I practiced about 10 starts during warmup and my feet never slipped. The pad in my lane (Lane 5) was pretty slick.

100 Free: 1:01.37 - First sign that I was in trouble was that off the thrid turn my pecs were burning. Now, shoulders, triceps, etc I can understand but my PECS???
    100 Breast: 1:21.72 - After the 100 Free experience, I was going to scratch, even as the event started I was going to scratch but I swam it. Went too deep on the start and was riding the line on my second stroke. Last turn was a train wreck. Gotta work on that.
    50 Back: 35.65. Nothing like slipping at the start. Only put me a full body length behind everyone. But still came home pretty strong and won my heat.

All in all, happy with the results. Nabbed best times in every event and snagged 2 of my teams records :-)

Paul

Blog Entries

As I start to put together a training plan I want to post my goals for SCY Nats.

Core
    50 Free - 23.5
    100 Free - 51.00
    50 Fly - 26.00
    100 IM - 1:00.00

Secondary
    100 Fly - 1:00.00

Tertiary
    50 Back - 30.00

Those are my main focus events and the ones that I am going to be training towards. I need one more NQT to be able to swim those events as I made the NQT for 50 Free. If I can grab 2 more NQTs, I might think about swimming one more event but those 5 are my focus. The 100 Fly is a big leap as I have yet to swim that event but I'm going to be doing more fly work to improve my 50.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    congratulations on your swims
    I'll catch your swims when I get home
    YT is one of the many blocked sites on this PC

a
    Thanks, Ande. I welcome your feedback.

Paul

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast