Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch me swim?

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Watch me swim?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFvFoxI5ceA

Well, I finally have a video of me swimming, unfortunately for me, its a video of me losing...but...maybe you all can tell me a thing or two about my swimming.

I am in lane three in the video--with a black cap.

Sorry for the quality and distance of the video it was my mom's first time haha, you can hear her yelling at me too.

Thanks!
    Nothing to it but to do it

CreamPuff

Re: Watch me swim?

Morgan,

Thanks for posting the video! That was great fun to watch and you looked really great in the water!! Very exciting race!

I personally feel you lost that race on the start (plopped in with no SDK or leg movement of any kind while streamlining off the start - you then had to catch back up after the start) and turns (pushing off the walls after the flip.) All your streamlines could really tighten up as well (off the dive it looked to be at about 50%!). A good goal would be to get out past the flags on your turns. I think you were just making it to the flags. I know doing SDKs off walls in a 200 is hard, but I would recommend starting with taking even just 2 or 3. Gotta work on this in practice.

On the actual swim part, I felt you were as fast as the 1st place finisher. I really couldn't see exactly what your breathing pattern was as it was hard to see on the video.

Looked like you were on the laneline a bit off some of the turns. I always try and remind myself to swim down the middle (hard to do when you practice on the right side all the time during workouts!)

Your kick looked pretty good but I'd continue to work on it. There were a few points in the race where it died down; however, I know it's hard to keep it going on a 200!

Anyhoo. Let the experts on this board give their recommendations. Just my

Super swimming!

Blog Entries

I'll leave the technical stuff to the others but I think another 5 yards and you win that race...think you can dig any deeper on the last 50?

It looked to me like a big part was the turns. The third turn for example, you go in even and come out a half body length behind.

First and most important what did your coach say about your swim? And congratulations on a nice swim. If any of my comments differ from what your coach is teaching, my apologies.

1) It looks like you are carrying your head a bit high, if you look at the elite swimmers today, the head position is lower during the stroke, breathing (you want your mouth out of the water not your eyes) and off the wall (check out Phelps head off the walls). This will help your streamline and get you swimming downhill.

2) It looks like you are stroking with your arms only, not much core.

3) It looks like you could extend a bit further on your reach, and work on the catch, EVF.

4) And it looks like you are finishing short on your stroke, especially the left arm.

Please dont take these as criticisms of your swimming, just observations of a fellow swimmer.

Rob has covered it well, head position, finish etc.

I do notice also your head is high when you push off on the turns. You must come off the walls in a more streamlined position, head down.

Impressed Morgan http://www.strose.edu/Golden_Knights...946&Team_id=10
    Last edited by geochuck; January 15th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

thanks for all the comments! That girl beat me on the 500 too...that was a depressing race...I might post it later...though it was very humbling.

The wall far from the blocks was a bulkhead and I hated it. I missed a lot of my turns and had a hard time on all of them at that end. I felt really slow--not necessarily slow--but not smooth, and very heavy yesterday in the pool. I think our training in general this past week was such high intensity swimming and then we had an afternoon off, a day of two hard practices, a day off, and then the day before the meet we did a two hour practice that we only did 1,800yards of garbage swimming in. Then the meet. None of us did great times and most of us mentioned feeling similarly sluggish.

I definatly do want to get my kick off the walls back up..I'm not really sure what happened to it, I normally have very strong walls, and yesterday I just couldnt get into it.

Today we have the day off again, but I am going to go to the pool tonight and do some light swimming just to loosen up and get back into it and I will work on some of the more technical things, and work on my walls a bit more.

Thanks again!

Check out USA Nationals video.
    http://swimnetwork.com/
    Day 1 Womens 500 starts at 16:25
    Compare your head position on the turns, stroke and breathing to theirs. You will see they keep them down more.
    Look at their extension and catch and how they are using the core body to extend the stroke and add power.

Day 1 Mens 500 starts at 36:30
    Look at Vanderkaays head position on his turns (buried under his streamline) when he breathes (low and in the trough) and on the underwater shots look at how he catches.

Day 2 Mens 200 1:18:40 B-finals
    The kid in lane 8 is an example of carrying his head too high while breathing. And while he gets away with it here, it makes him work harder than the rest of the field.

Day 2 Mens 200 1:23:36 A-finals
    Theres a good shot of Phelps head position off the second turn.

Blog Entries

Thanks Rob--great videos!

well done. Looks like you brought your kick into the race nicely.

Blog Entries

I just uploaded my 500 swim too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdOqorl8fLs

If you watch it, don't get too excited when you see that I am out front by a little bit for the first few lengths...it doesn't last. In my defense...I didn't slow down...she sped up. It's the same girl from the 200freestyle.

I am in the same lane as before-lane 3.

You had a cheerleader taking the film. You held in well.

I still like to see the kick in the water in longer events.

Did I notice when the hands exited you did not exit cleanly?

Was the finish short on most strokes?

Slapping the water with the hand on the entry?

Did I see wind milling?

Your head slightly high?

Do you need more streamline coming off the turns?

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

As was mentioned before, work your turns. You should be coming up at or past the solid section of the lane markers and instead you are cmoing up about half a body length behind. But you did a great job of consistent turns, you came up in the same place every time. Now just work on pushing off just a little harder and holding a tighter streamline off the wall.

Compare your breakouts with the girl in lane 4 and you will see what I mean, she was breaking out about 2-3 feet farther out than you and that was really the difference on each lap.

A good race over all, you held a solid pace thruout.

Paul

You are an awesome swimmer.

You were hanging onto 18 strokes for a long time but toward the end your glide to the wall was getting a bit long. This lasted a few laps and maybe you were falling back a bit on these glides before you switched to 19.

I just think it was a solid swim. Well done.

What did Coach say? Were your splits even?

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

Morgan, with your 500, no worries - that situation happens to me all the time. We call it getting "EB'd." A teammate, we call him Ellis, spends most of a 500 1-2-3 bodylengths behind me, then starts coming on strong ~350-400 and ends up passing me on the last 50. After this happened several times, I become Ellis' *Bizzatch*, and thereon, we refer to the situation as being EB'd .

I won't about your turns, but it is a great (motivational) example of how important turns are in these events. Meters, esp. long course, you have that girl!

Question for you - left arm... does that arm tend to cross over toward your center axis when you breathe? Its hard to tell from the distance, but when you breathe to the right, it looks like your body started to twist a bit toward your right side - which would be caused by a hand out of position underwater. If that is happening, correcting that could be a great source of time!
    Why do we always run out of rum?

swims4life

Good race!

You out swam your competition, and that's impressive. Many have said to work on your turns, but specificly how should you do that?

I recommend first to keep doing what you're doing well. Swimming strong, not giving up, these are good qualities.

It was also good to hear the chearing in the stands from the video, the emotion was there, for sure.

So the turns... This takes more practice... A good turn isn't too tight to the wall, ultimately covering a farther distance. You want to be flipped and in a nearly-full extension in the other direction before your feet touch the wall. So the actual turn happens a little sooner and the forward motion keeps your body moving to the wall. One trick to do this is initiating the turn a little deeper with your head and torso, this gives you more leverage to flip your legs over, and allows your body to cover more distance. The other part is to land on the wall with your legs a little more extended, think about a basketball shot, you don't bend your knees all the way before jumping, does that make sense? At maximum a 90 degree bend, but a little more extended is okay, that way you cut the distance of the pool.

Happy swimming,

Blog Entries

We have another 2 meets this weekend..so I will hopefully have a chance to showcase some of these hints I have been trying to incorporate into my practicing. Unfortunatly, I am in a situation where our practices are a lot of swim swim swim and not a lot of guidance or review of what we are doing right or wrong or how we could improve or push ourselves farther. I have been working primarily on my turns this week and trying to breathe a little lower to the water--but I am not sure I know exactly what I am doing in terms of head position in general.

Thanks again!

It would be better if we had some better clips of your swimming say a side view, and head on view so we can really watch your stroke. Both those clips are too far away. When I downloaded to analyse your stroke it was pretty well blurred.

Quote Originally Posted by blainesapprentice View Post
    We have another 2 meets this weekend..so I will hopefully have a chance to showcase some of these hints I have been trying to incorporate into my practicing. Unfortunatly, I am in a situation where our practices are a lot of swim swim swim and not a lot of guidance or review of what we are doing right or wrong or how we could improve or push ourselves farther. I have been working primarily on my turns this week and trying to breathe a little lower to the water--but I am not sure I know exactly what I am doing in terms of head position in general.

Thanks again!

Very Active Member

You might want to consider working on your power off the wall, in addition to technique things everyone else has mentioned. One thing I have been trying to do lately is to concentrate on pushing really hard off the wall on every turn, regardless of the pace. This can make those junk yardage workouts worthwhile. Swim into the wall, turn, push for all your are worth and then SDK and streamline out. Spending a small amount time in the gym working the quads, running stairs or hills would also help give you more power off the wall.

Good luck this weekend!

on ur start, your hand go over your head and kind of arc into the water. They are supposed to be going from under to give you upwards momentum.

You actually swim faster than the other chick, but you were getting raped on the turns. She came out half a body length in front off of every turn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast